Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
What a mess!

VW and authorities should have simply decided to grandfather all pre-stopsale TDIs and agree on an appropriate fine, immediately back then; no class action, no settlement, no buyback, etc.

Then EPA could require what they will of emissions for subsequent cars, which basically would suggest no more TDIs in America, since with the couple of years to work on it VW has yet to produce a fix for none of them, neither the 3L, nor any of the 2l, to date.

It is looking more and more like we may right now be driving the last of the VW diesels in America. If so, I wonder if this does not look so good for achieving the 85% goal?

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
I have been paying attention to to this since the beginning. I have seen people be like Im getting a great deal, I am getting back almost exactly what I paid for etc... etc..

Well good for you, but that dosen't help for those who bought the car new. My PASSAT SEL was my first car purchase. I'm 25, I don't have money, I don't have capital, but I have a decent job I need a vehicle to get to.
This whole buy back if I go with it nets me out a large sum at a loss. I'm from CT, taxes are stupid here. I need sales tax and the extra warranty I paid for to be whole that is it.
3k is pretty much what I can manage to save in a year, and I would almost be done paying for my car in the next year and half, but would then have to try to find a new vehicle of similar manner and gas mileage on a even small budget. I'm a big buy, I don't fit into small vehicles...

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
What I meant to state was " You can't afford to purchase a car up front but you need to be seen in the Premium edition? "
Don't take offense to this, but people like you shouldn't be complaining about paying interest and losing money in auto deprecation. If you don't want to pay interest than buy a car up front, a used one. Is that too much for your ego?
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about and how it relates in anyway to my post

where did I complain about interest? where did I complain about losing money in auto depreciation? where did I say anything about not being able to afford a car? where did I complain or say anything negative in my entire post you quoted?

please point that out or admit you are an idiot.

I await your apology

Last edited:

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Funny how you had to go with the Premium edition. You can afford to purchase a car up front but need to be seen in the Premium edition? What made you decide that you can't be seen driving a used car or a cheaper car? So you have money to pay the intersest but not the car....?? hmmm, never understood car loans

funny how moronic this post is in relation to mine

where did I say or imply I could not be seen in a used car or a cheaper car? how did you read my post and thing anything you said was a reasonable response?

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
I have been paying attention to to this since the beginning. I have seen people be like Im getting a great deal, I am getting back almost exactly what I paid for etc... etc..
Well good for you, but that dosen't help for those who bought the car new. My PASSAT SEL was my first car purchase. I'm 25, I don't have money, I don't have capital, but I have a decent job I need a vehicle to get to.
This whole buy back if I go with it nets me out a large sum at a loss. I'm from CT, taxes are stupid here. I need sales tax and the extra warranty I paid for to be whole that is it.
3k is pretty much what I can manage to save in a year, and I would almost be done paying for my car in the next year and half, but would then have to try to find a new vehicle of similar manner and gas mileage on a even small budget. I'm a big buy, I don't fit into small vehicles...

I also bought new

Why don't you just keep the car? is your state forcing you to do the buyback?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Well good for you, but that dosen't help for those who bought the car new.
Yes, actually, it does. The MSRP on a 2013 Passat TDI SEL was $32,915. The base buyback value for that car is $26,807. Assuming you paid MSRP for your car (which you generally shouldn't need to do), your car has effectively depreciated by $6k--under 20%--in three years. If you were going to replace the car anyway, this is going to give you a much better deal than you'd ever get selling it yourself (for comparison, the Blue Book, dealer retail price for that car--not trade in, not private party sale--is $17k).

Or, to paraphrase the President, if you like your car, you can keep your car--at least for another two years (and almost certainly after that). The buyback price is still locked in; the only change will be due to mileage, if you drive more than 1k miles/month (and even then it's a pretty small change). You have at least two years that you can drive the car, nearly depreciation-free. If they get the EPA to approve a fix, you can have that done, keep your car, and pocket $7k.

But no, you're not going to get full MSRP for a three-year-old car.

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
Yes, actually, it does. The MSRP on a 2013 Passat TDI SEL was $32,915. The base buyback value for that car is $26,807. Assuming you paid MSRP for your car (which you generally shouldn't need to do), your car has effectively depreciated by $6k--under 20%--in three years. If you were going to replace the car anyway, this is going to give you a much better deal than you'd ever get selling it yourself (for comparison, the Blue Book, dealer retail price for that car--not trade in, not private party sale--is $17k).

Or, to paraphrase the President, if you like your car, you can keep your car--at least for another two years (and almost certainly after that). The buyback price is still locked in; the only change will be due to mileage, if you drive more than 1k miles/month (and even then it's a pretty small change). You have at least two years that you can drive the car, nearly depreciation-free. If they get the EPA to approve a fix, you can have that done, keep your car, and pocket $7k.

But no, you're not going to get full MSRP for a three-year-old car.

finally, some common sense

with few exceptions everyone who owns a VW TDi will be in a better place financially because of this scandal than they would have been without the scandal, whether they decide to trade the car or keep and accept fix and comp

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
What a mess!

<snip>It is looking more and more like we may right now be driving the last of the VW diesels in America. If so, I wonder if this does not look so good for achieving the 85% goal?
What is the saying? --- Timing is everything:rolleyes:

If it takes off sloooooow, on the participation rate one might just wait and watch for sweeteners. We all know ther is a ~~ $18k-$20k penalty for every car falling short of 85%

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
What is the saying? --- Timing is everything:rolleyes:

If it takes off sloooooow, on the participation rate one might just wait and watch for sweeteners. We all know ther is a ~~ $18k-$20k penalty for every car falling short of 85%

I would imagine the answer is no but if someone does the buyback immediately and x months down the road VW does increase the amount of compensation would the original people get that extra money?

I would think no but not sure how legally it would work

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw
What I meant to state was " You can't afford to purchase a car up front but you need to be seen in the Premium edition? "
Don't take offense to this, but people like you shouldn't be complaining about paying interest and losing money in auto deprecation. If you don't want to pay interest than buy a car up front, a used one. Is that too much for your ego?

We have alread gone over this, with the extremely low interest rates available today it makes sence to use the banks money and let your money work for you.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would imagine the answer is no but if someone does the buyback immediately and x months down the road VW does increase the amount of compensation would the original people get that extra money?

I would think no but not sure how legally it would work
Hi:)

IMO

If you go with a early settlement -- you have signed a contract with VW.

What someone in the future gets (or does not get) -- well, too late to change.

One thing for sure it does not cost anything for me (my situation) to wait a few weeks-months. Only risk is being in a wreck (totaled) :eek:

It even crossed my mind that the longer I wait, when it comes time to get a new car replacement -- it will be a newer model. Like a 2017 or even a 2018. YIKES :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Very bad paraphrase since we now know he was lying through his teeth when he said that. OTH, since Dieselgate is also due to a lie, perhaps paraphrasing him is apropos.

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw
has anyone here sold their $500 VW card? If so where and how much did you get for it? I won't be using it on anything for the car and probably won't own another vw and they can't get tired for my wife's BMW or my truck so just trying to get something for it. I guess I could buy a life time supply of washer fluid;)

OwnerSince80

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Looks like I'll be driving one of the few diesel cars on the road. I'll cry if I had to drive an automatic gasser. Question: I heard something about the court will take comments during this period, but I've never heard where and how. Perhaps I missed it on this list. Is there a website for comments?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
has anyone here sold their $500 VW card? If so where and how much did you get for it? I won't be using it on anything for the car and probably won't own another vw and they can't get tired for my wife's BMW or my truck so just trying to get something for it. I guess I could buy a life time supply of washer fluid;)
I sold mine to a TDICLUB member at a discount.

Do not remember where to search (HERE) to find him again

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I bought new as well. And given our TDI was a early MK7 TDI there were no deals.

Can you get back the prorated part of the warranty? I know it works like that for my Jeep

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I bought new as well. And given our TDI was a early MK7 TDI there were no deals.
Can you get back the prorated part of the warranty? I know it works like that for my Jeep
Yes you can cancel the extended warranty for a prorated refund. I did that shortly after the scandal broke. I have a loan, so it was sent directly to them...Mark

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh wow. The dealership cards are transferable? I thought they were tied to the identity of the person to whom it was given.
The person I sold mine too was in the business of car repairs or servicing? Not too sure.

He was happy and so was I. :) My car is new-ish, under full warranty and had no need of it.

Wish I could tell you where to look on TDICLUB to find potential buyers. Good luck

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Agreed!

I purchased a 13 Passat SEL also - CA has crazy tax too. If I take the buyout most of that goes to the loan. I have made $9K in payments and will have $4,500 left after loan repayment - making 2 years of ownership @ $4,500. So I basically leased @ about $200/month and will be left with no car. Put me in the "MEH" category regarding the buyback.

I'm not one of the "wow I got my entire amount back plus I can put down enough to walk out with a replacement without payments" crowd.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed!

I purchased a 13 Passat SEL also - CA has crazy tax too. If I take the buyout most of that goes to the loan. I have made $9K in payments and will have $4,500 left after loan repayment - making 2 years of ownership @ $4,500. So I basically leased @ about $200/month and will be left with no car. Put me in the "MEH" category regarding the buyback.

I'm not one of the "wow I got my entire amount back plus I can put down enough to walk out with a replacement without payments" crowd.

What is "MEH"?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Sounds like you might be another candidate to keep the car for a couple of years before selling it back. Or get the fix, take the cash, and keep the car.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black

Say there was no dieselgate but your car got totaled tomorrow. Your insurance recovery would be substantially lower than what the buyout is offering. What would you do then?

If a car getting totaled - something very much in the realm of possibilities - has the potential to put you upside down financially - that is a whole different issue, isn't it?

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Reading through this forum it appears that there are more than a handful of people who pay MSRP or close, in this age of Truecar and Edmunds.

Amazing!

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Keeping the car

My wife and I love the car and are planning on keeping it. However we are waiting to see how much the pollution updates effect the MPG.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reading through this forum it appears that there are more than a handful of people who pay MSRP or close, in this age of Truecar and Edmunds.

Amazing!
and CARS.COM

One could shop at least 4-5 dealerships.

Bought my 356 miles "down the road motors."

My local deal was over the top on price, and LOW on models and colors:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.