Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Please tell me you stay in the far right lane... I am one of the lead foots and appreciate the room!
Hope you lean left -- in your lane -- as you rip by :D

really inconsiderate when ticket catchers get on the white line to pass the snails

As they say in German roads -- Drive right -- for slower drivers

....and what do you do on (2) line roads:rolleyes::eek::confused::D:p

and the jerk in front has a bumper sticker

to wit

I may be slow, but I am in front of you

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
The proposed settlement specifically says that they have to buyback OR repair at least 85% of the vehicles. What you're proposing is neither of those things....so no...that's not going to work (whether or not they'd try something that stupid is another matter. I wouldn't put anything past VW).

Maybe I wasn't clear... I exactly agree with you.. If VW can get 85% of the people who are registering on their site to select either Buy Back or FIX... they can use that as ammo when it comes time for the Judge to compare the consumer feedback with the current proposal.

I think we all know that the only rule that has been laid out is VW must meet 85% .... many of us (even myself) have screwed the pooch when it comes to that because we have basically told VW (via the claims website) that we are willing to except 1 of the 2 available choices.

Remember... the expectation is 85% compliance... not 85% Happy Consumers.

Last edited:

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Maybe I wasn't clear... I exactly agree with you.. If VW can get 85% of the people who are registering on their site to select either Buy Back or FIX... they can use that as ammo when it comes time for the Judge to compare the consumer feedback with the current proposal.
I think we all know that the only rule that has been laid out is VS must meet 85% .... many of us (even myself) have screwed the pooch when it comes to that because we have basically told VW (via the claims website) that we are willing to except 1 of the 2 available choices.
Remember... the expectation is 85% compliance... not 85% Happy Consumers.
just returning to the fold here with questions: why jump to register before\without giving consumer feedback? Are that many folks worried about totalling their car, or an imminent HPFP or DPF implosion?
seems like waiting is the wise play here, but maybe I'm missing something:confused:

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
just returning to the fold here with questions: why jump to register before\without giving consumer feedback? Are that many folks worried about totalling their car, or an imminent HPFP or DPF implosion?
seems like waiting is the wise play here, but maybe I'm missing something:confused:

The Registration site very clearly states in many places this is all preliminary and things could change. Dates are not guaranteed, etc.

However, the only way to find out what VW currently thinks they owe you is to register, so many of us are doing it to confirm. Some even think that is reserves your place in line for the trade in.

Fully Approved or not, seems to me it would be hard pressed to argue that everyone is unhappy about "Trade in Value" vs "Retail Value" when VW could clearly prove that 85% of the know VIN numbers have "agreed" to take either the buy back or fix.

At least that is what I would do if I were a lawyer or VW (which I'm neither)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
From the article at the above link:

"...I don't know why VW Group isn't being forced to refund every consumers full purchase price, including the sales tax they paid, plus any direct damages (maintenance, upgrades, etc.) plus restitution to make right for the fraud. "

I wonder if the gentleman would also like a unicorn and two buckets of pixiedust with the settlement.
Whaddaya expect from a Road & Track columnist? ;)

Also, "—after 16 years of knowingly defrauding consumers—"

Isn't it closer to 6 years: 2009 - 2015, or does he think MY 1999 through 2008 vehicles are also included? :eek:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you return a defective item to Costco or Walmart do you receive a full refund, including taxes, or a partial refund based on usage?
Sam built his empire -- largely on a liberal return policy.

Last I witnessed he is (was?) the largest retailer on the planet

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You don't have a registration card to keep in the car in OK? Any state I've lived in requires that.
There are some that allow you to have it on your smartphone. In others, like California, the police most likely know if you have valid registration and insurance before they approach your car.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Different states do have different priorities... here the first question when stopped is should you be driving that particular car (and they do understand driving a friends/families car). As for insurance the paper doesn't prove anything... I get them valid for 6 months, but if I miss a payment the insurance goes poof but I've still got the paper. I'd rather carry the registration (good for 2 years) than have to remember to swap out insurance cards every 6 months.
Here in California, the insurance company is supposed to notify DMV if your insurance lapses. DMV then distributes this info to police departments. There are some departments that have plate scanners in the prowl cars; these scan the plates and software checks the plate number against expired registration/insurance lists. If a match is found, a ticket can be written.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
There are some that allow you to have it on your smartphone. In others, like California, the police most likely know if you have valid registration and insurance before they approach your car.

"Most likely?" Most likely they know the brand of shorts you're wearing. I got a warning ticket last Fall from an Indiana State Trooper, and it was kind of amazing what he knew about me before he ever walked up to the car (not that I don't think it's a good idea, these days). I was watching his face as he took my license, and he barely glanced at it. Generated a warning ticket which was just a computer printout, handed it to me, and that was that.

NB: We live in Illinois, and were stopped less than 10 miles across the Indiana line. And they still were able to pull up all that information into a cruiser. I guess those things have about 10 antennas for a reason.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
This is exactly why I posted my response on another thread. People think they can do nothing to their cars and not have their registration denied. The truth is the must get the "fix" ... they just can't deny you because the fix doesn't actually fully comply with smog.
Actually, people CAN do nothing and California can't block registration because of this issue even if they opt out and do nothing.

HERE:
(a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on:
i. The presence of a defeat device or AECD covered by the resolution of claims
If an owner does NOTHING, CARB can not deny Registration based solely on the fact that doing nothing means the car still has the presence of a defeat device. AND, they used "OR" not "AND" for the AECD.

ALL stock TDI's already fully PASS all 50 state emissions tests right now anyways.

in the Consent Decree; or
ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device or AECD; or
iii. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback,
Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.

Meaning, IF an AECD is Approved or not, they can not deny registration due to the Availability of a FIX or BUYBACK or NOTHING.

I take this meaning people who opt out and don't get a dime will not be held accountable NO BLOCKED REGISTRATIONS!

If CARB tries to BLOCK an Owners Registration for any of these reasons, they're wide open for a Lawsuit from Owners.

CARB Can't Punish TDI OWNERS if they choose to opt out & forfeit all restitution $$.

If they tried, they would be sued for punishing the TDI owners whom are completely innocent in all this entire cluster F0CK MESS.

Don't get me wrong though, that does not mean EVIL CARB would never find another evil way around it. THEY MAY TRY.

However, I believe the percentage of people OPTING OUT & forfeiting all that CASH will be so low accounting for such a small number of cars, CARB would be very foolish to waste their time on such a small percentage of cars that in reality are already cleaner than 90% of the cars on the road now in every emission except for an absurdly ridiculous low NOx Limit. Unfortunately, CARB really is that FOOLISH SO don't count my chickens.

This entire mess is NOT about the air quality anyways. It's already proven that If all 466,000 2.0L TDI's were immediately yanked off the road TODAY AND CRUSHED TOMORROW, It wouldn't make ANY Measurable Difference AT ALL in future NOx reduction Nationwide! It's all a dog and pony show!

READ MY SIGNATURE!

Last edited:

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I would not worry about how many people register on the VW site to get that majic number of 85%. I doubt 85% of the diesel owners even know about any of this. The only changes I can see with the settlement is an increase in fines if there isn't enough cars registered.

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw

to wit

[/QUOTE]

Challenge accepted!

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw

For most owners your right, but some of us have already moved on and need the space in the driveway!
I'm at 120,000+ miles on mine and it needs a bunch of work plus I am actually somewhat afraid the hpfp will grenade and the car will pretty much be a loss. For me it works out to move on asap.

Last edited:

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
In Oregon, they require a current proof of insurance card. I was pulled over once for exceeding the speed limit and, luckily, the officer only cited me for having a noncurrent insurance card. He told me to show up in court with the current proof and it will be dismissed. Only got a caution for speeding. Whew!
I lived in Oregon for 5 years, there's more cops on highway 26 than there are commuters.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
to wit
Challenge accepted![/QUOTE]

If you want to drive 40mph, do it on the adjacent service road. And for the love of God stay out of the left hand lane!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL

to wit

Challenge accepted![/QUOTE]

Accept the simple fact that as #2, your options are wait, wait, or wait for a clear space to pass, and remember not to be a total pr!ck while doing so? I don't care for it, but it really isn't important in the big picture, and no grounds for 'driving stupid' and tailgating and such . . .

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Accept the simple fact that as #2, your options are wait, wait, or wait for a clear space to pass, and remember not to be a total pr!ck while doing so? I don't care for it, but it really isn't important in the big picture, and no grounds for 'driving stupid' and tailgating and such . . .
back
On topic: passing people quickly and safely is one reason I drive a TDI. :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So you are saying that because you drive a TDI makes you a better driver! I say BS you are who you are no matter what car you drive.
No, what he is saying is that driving a TDI makes it easier to pass more SAFELY and QUICKLY, than driving a non-Turbo, non-Direct Injection car. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
$14.7 Billion- chump change for the largest auto maker in the world. I had to laugh when my uncle suggested I take the buyback before VW goes bankrupt.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Challenge accepted!
If you want to drive 40mph, do it on the adjacent service road. And for the love of God stay out of the left hand lane![/QUOTE]

40 on our TPs will get you low speed ticket

Oklahoma typical speed limits like 75 MAX and 55 MIN

at 5-8 under 75 we still have rollers at 85 - 90. ~~

Best ever in my resent driving to OKC, was a hottie who gave me the one finger solute, over taking me at 'bout 23-25 MPG

You guessed it -- in 10 minuets the OHP added 10-15 points to his insurance rating.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Whaddaya expect from a Road & Track columnist? ;)

Also, "—after 16 years of knowingly defrauding consumers—"

Isn't it closer to 6 years: 2009 - 2015, or does he think MY 1999 through 2008 vehicles are also included? :eek:
it has been established that VW/Audi installed cheat software as early as 1999

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I was under the impression that it really was for noise reduction initially and was later modified a bit more to cheat. Were the early models actually cheating on emissions?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I was under the impression that it really was for noise reduction initially and was later modified a bit more to cheat. Were the early models actually cheating on emissions?
One article claimed that the cheat software was originally developed to reduce the typical diesel clatter in Audis, and that it was later morphed into the cheat software beginning with the '09s. However it was done is pretty irrelevant, this was nothing that was confined to a few mid-level engineers who were desperate to make the diesel meet emissions testing. The use of the cheat software went on from 2009-2015, and most believe it was known right to the top of the management ladder at VW. Which, since we have a settlement, is also now pretty irrelevant.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Challenge accepted!
The courteous thing to do - and I believe it is also the law in some states - is for the slower driver in front to pull over and let other vehicles pass, if he/she is holding up multiple vehicles.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Hope you lean left -- in your lane -- as you rip by :D

really inconsiderate when ticket catchers get on the white line to pass the snails

As they say in German roads -- Drive right -- for slower drivers
Here in NJ, staying in the left lane unless overtaking is against the law and a 2 point violation - the same as speeding upto 9mph over the limit.

Rarely enforced though. Roads are full of illiterates cruising past multiple 'Keep right unless passing' signs without a care in the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.