Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

What will you with your Dieselgate TDI

• Turn it in for the cash.

Votes: 319 67.6%
  • Bring it in for the "fix" and the cash.

Votes: 81 17.2%
  • Do nothing but keep driving.

Votes: 72 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
You know I just had a conspiracy idea. On the claim form it tells you you do not have to pick either option right now. What if VW is trying to get people to select one of the two options so that when people complain and try to change the terms VW can go back to the court and they say " but look your honor we have an 85% acceptance rate on our Registration site".

If I could do it again I think I would have left those blank. If you noticed they didn't give you a place to comment which would have made sense or even a question your satisfaction level of the offer.

Just saying it wouldn't surprise me if this is a ploy from VW to build their case to continue their advantage over the consumer.
Respectfully,

Think the 85% will need to be actual completions.

Every thing I read there was a tentative date etc.

However, vw is poultry waste X 100

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
This is incorrect. If you think that California won't block your registration you have never dealt with California DMV.
What they agreed on is that CA won't prevent someone from registering their car on the bases that it does not 100% comply with the smog standards.
However they will make you get whatever "fix" vw has that will get your car closer than the current 40x the limit.....and it is that "fix" that will undoubtedly create havoc on the emmision systems.
I speak as some who has had his registration blocked until I had an emmision update done to my car.
The idea of drive it like it is and don't have anything done to it is a dream if you live in Cali
You haven't bothered to read appendix D, have you? It covers unfixed cars, and CARB has already agreed to it.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Best this ol' man things, is the Police only look at your TAG. (License plate)

The little sticker on it has a date. And they change the COLOR yearly. Easy for cops to see at a glance. They will ask for INSURANCE CARDS.

The little sticker comes in the mail, stapled to paper work.

Are we a little people, a silly people a barbarous people?
I hope you never drive out of the state. Here in MD, they will ask for you registration, and don't care about insurance unless you are in an accident. If you don't have your registration with you be ready for an in-person appointment with a judge :)

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
But he did make a judgement on it.
The judge only intervenes and passes 'judgment' is there is some dispute or disagreement between the parties, in this case VW and the states/FTC/plaintiffs.

To the extent that both sides agree, he just puts his stamp of approval on the deal.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The little sticker on it has a date. And they change the COLOR yearly. Easy for cops to see at a glance.
Sure, and all of that is the case in CA, OH, SC, and GA as well (the states where I've had cars registered). And in each of those states, you also get a registration card with your sticker, which you're required to keep in your car, and which the police will ask to see if/when they pull you over (and I presume they'll cite you if you're unable to provide it, but I haven't been in that position to say for sure). If that isn't the case in OK, more power to you, but that would be the first state I've heard of where that's so.

Interestingly, in GA they don't ask for insurance cards; insurers put that information into a state database which the police check instead.

The little sticker comes in the mail, stapled to paper work.
I love how vague you're being about "paper work".

Are we a little people, a silly people a barbarous people?
Not sure what this has to do with anything. Are you suggesting it's "little", "silly", or "barbarous" to keep a registration card? To throw it out? That seems an awful petty thing to base such a broad judgment on.

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
My question was are you still eligible for buy back if you total your car after sept of 16? Docs specifically state your not eliglble if you total it now but what if its totaled for instance on oct 1 2016?
If you total your car after the settlement approval date and before final claim date (Sep 2018) - VW will still pay your the additional compensation. But they will not pay you the estimated buyback value of the car, you will have to make do with whatever your insurance company pays out.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
You know I just had a conspiracy idea. On the claim form it tells you you do not have to pick either option right now. What if VW is trying to get people to select one of the two options so that when people complain and try to change the terms VW can go back to the court and they say " but look your honor we have an 85% acceptance rate on our Registration site".

If I could do it again I think I would have left those blank. If you noticed they didn't give you a place to comment which would have made sense or even a question your satisfaction level of the offer.

Just saying it wouldn't surprise me if this is a ploy from VW to build their case to continue their advantage over the consumer.
Give up on your conspiracy theories... what is on the website is what is mandated in the settlement agreement. And the 85% is what are actually fixed or bought back, just registering is meaningless.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
The whole idea of having to keep a piece of paper that the sticker was peeled off of in the car is silly. If I put the sticker on the plate or windshield, how is a card any more useful? Proof of registration is the sticker, you can't get it without the paper, so they are the same thing. The sticker, window or plate includes the plate number, so it's not like you can just get any old plate and any sticker and put them together. State database already puts VIN to plate, so nothing useful there either. It's a leftover from pre-automation times, and is a waste of resources to keep doing it.

Sure, and all of that is the case in CA, OH, SC, and GA as well (the states where I've had cars registered). And in each of those states, you also get a registration card with your sticker, which you're required to keep in your car, and which the police will ask to see if/when they pull you over (and I presume they'll cite you if you're unable to provide it, but I haven't been in that position to say for sure). If that isn't the case in OK, more power to you, but that would be the first state I've heard of where that's so.

Interestingly, in GA they don't ask for insurance cards; insurers put that information into a state database which the police check instead.

I love how vague you're being about "paper work".

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Are you suggesting it's "little", "silly", or "barbarous" to keep a registration card? To throw it out? That seems an awful petty thing to base such a broad judgment on.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
If you total your car after the settlement approval date and before final claim date (Sep 2018) - VW will still pay your the additional compensation. But they will not pay you the estimated buyback value of the car, you will have to make do with whatever your insurance company pays out.
And it would be a very interesting conversation with an insurance company if an accident occurred while driving your car to turn your car in :)

On't dismiss it... I was once hit by someone driving their trade-in to a dealer... after they'd already taken delivery on the new car. They were not happy (especially since they admitted it was their fault).

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
And it would be a very interesting conversation with an insurance company if an accident occurred while driving your car to turn your car in :)
On't dismiss it... I was once hit by someone driving their trade-in to a dealer... after they'd already taken delivery on the new car. They were not happy (especially since they admitted it was their fault).
The scenario that you describe would have been a positive for that person, assuming the car was totaled. Recovery value would most likely be higher than trade-in value.

But in this case, the 'fair market' value of the cars is much lower than what VW is paying out, so it would not be fun.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
The whole idea of having to keep a piece of paper that the sticker was peeled off of in the car is silly. If I put the sticker on the plate or windshield, how is a card any more useful? Proof of registration is the sticker, you can't get it without the paper, so they are the same thing. The sticker, window or plate includes the plate number, so it's not like you can just get any old plate and any sticker and put them together. State database already puts VIN to plate, so nothing useful there either. It's a leftover from pre-automation times, and is a waste of resources to keep doing it.
That's easy, it's a revenue generator. In AZ. they already know that your registration is good, but if you don't have the paper form with you, SIGNED, you get a ticket. Then, if you can produce the document in court, they cut the fine in half. It is good work if you can get it. If it is not signed, that is another ticket and they won't let you sign it on the spot..Mark

Last edited:

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
Decision made: Keeping TDI and waiting for the fix. Just hoping the fix, when it becomes available doesn't kill my MPG/Performance much.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's easy, it's a revenue generator. In AZ. they already know that your registration is good, but if you don't have the paper form with you, SIGNED, you get a ticket. Then, if you can produce the document in court, they cut the fine in half. It is good work if you can get it. If it is not signed, that is another ticket and hey won't let you sign it on the spot..Mark
Ya think this ol' okie should not vacation in AZ:D

Side note:

51-52 years ago we used to drive through a small town in OK, on our way West. Frequently stopped to eat and shop for antiques etc.

You guessed it. Speed trap -- going in was 60 MPH -- then they (newly) dropped it to 25 coming over a hill. $25

Back then $25 would buy 86 GALLONS of gasoline

.... never ever spent a dime there again:D:D:D:D

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none

Side note:

51-52 years ago we used to drive through a small town in OK, on our way West. Frequently stopped to eat and shop for antiques etc.

You guessed it. Speed trap -- going in was 60 MPH -- then they (newly) dropped it to 25 coming over a hill. $25

I just double checked and I am confusing boat reg with car reg. The car reg document does not have to be signed, there is a place to sign when you sell the car. Boat registrations must be signed. The proof of insurance form is treated the same way as the reg, even though they know the second that your car insurance status changes. Speed traps are illegal in AZ because there is a law that says that they can only lower speed limits in a maximum of 10 mph increments. Same is true for any change in traffic control, like installation of a stop sign. They have to put in a "change in traffic control" sign for a good amount of time...Mark

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just double checked and I am confusing boat reg with car reg. The car reg document does not have to be signed, there is a place to sign when you sell the car. Boat registrations must be signed. The proof of insurance form is treated the same way as the reg, even though they know the second that your car insurance status changes. Speed traps are illegal in AZ because there is a law that says that they can only lower speed limits in a maximum of 10 mph increments. Same is true for any change in traffic control, like installation of a stop sign. They have to put in a "change in traffic control" sign for a good amount of time...Mark
Mercifully, some road conditions here have improved in the last 50 years.

'bout the only "STOPS" I witness are the turn pike rollers.

Generally I am at MAX speed to 5-8 under.

At 5-8 under the MAX, lead foots are over taking me at 15 to 25 -- rather uncomfortable unless you stay alert

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
The sticker just indicates that fees have been paid, but it doesn't say who owns the car... which is why in most states the police will ask for your license and registration, and if the registration doesn't say you are the owner (or at least have the same address) they will start asking LOTS of questions.

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI

Side note:

Well, about 10 - 15 years ago I got nailed in the ultimate speed trap. I take the "back route" over the Pear Blossom Highway when I drive between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. One of the towns you pass through, Littlerock, is a known speed trap. The speed limit is 55 but as soon as you hit the main part of town it's 30 for about four blocks. One time I was pulled over about a half a block before the 30MPH sign. The cop told me that he clocked me doing 40 and since I was still in the 55 zone he was going to ticket me for going too slow.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, about 10 - 15 years ago I got nailed in the ultimate speed trap. I take the "back route" over the Pear Blossom Highway when I drive between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. One of the towns you pass through, Littlerock, is a known speed trap. The speed limit is 55 but as soon as you hit the main part of town it's 30 for about four blocks. One time I was pulled over about a half a block before the 30MPH sign. The cop told me that he clocked me doing 40 and since I was still in the 55 zone he was going to ticket me for going too slow.

money money money

... don't you just hate speed traps:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
It isn't unheard of to use a razor blade and remove someone else's sticker and place it on your license plate. I realize each sticker has a corresponding number on it but it's not very easy to read, especially at night or on a dirty license plate. The registration also matches driver to vehicle being driven.

"Driver's license and registration please"

Last edited:

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Yep...nobody asks you if you pay property taxes, they ask if you own the house.

The sticker on the plate is just like tax...its a permit to use the plates legally ON a registered vehicle. Regardless if they're connected through paperwork. Its one thing to be pay for something that is "associated" with something you own...another to be the "owner" of something.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It isn't unheard of to use a razor blade and remove someone else's sticker and place it on your license plate. I realize each sticker has a corresponding number on it but it's not very easy to read, especially at night or on a dirty license plate. The registration also matches driver to vehicle being driven.

Stolen stickers -- many I'm sure -- but low in percentages ??? AND the TAG number would not MATCH the sticker.

Driver to vehicle -- mote point. Less now than years ago, but my family used each others cars quiet often.

Real problem here now is the UN-insured drivers:mad::mad::mad::mad:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Stolen stickers -- many I'm sure -- but low in percentages ??? AND the TAG number would not MATCH the sticker.

Driver to vehicle -- mote point. Less now than years ago, but my family used each others cars quiet often.

Real problem here now is the UN-insured drivers:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Different states do have different priorities... here the first question when stopped is should you be driving that particular car (and they do understand driving a friends/families car). As for insurance the paper doesn't prove anything... I get them valid for 6 months, but if I miss a payment the insurance goes poof but I've still got the paper. I'd rather carry the registration (good for 2 years) than have to remember to swap out insurance cards every 6 months.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

The proposed settlement specifically says that they have to buyback OR repair at least 85% of the vehicles. What you're proposing is neither of those things....so no...that's not going to work (whether or not they'd try something that stupid is another matter. I wouldn't put anything past VW).

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Decision made: Keeping TDI and waiting for the fix. Just hoping the fix, when it becomes available doesn't kill my MPG/Performance much.
23O6 Update already screws us over by 5% to 8% down on MPG/Power, and I'm SURE Reliability is much worse than -8% after 23O6 fake Update.

For anyone opting to keep their TDI (without getting a tune) hopefully it won't affect your MPG/Power any more than 23O6 already does.

In my case, it doesn't matter to me what it does to MPG/Performance, I'm immediately going to tune after the fix.

From Appendix D:

(a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on:
i. The presence of a defeat device or AECD covered by the resolution of claims
in the Consent Decree; or
ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device or AECD; or
iii. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback,
Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program.

(b) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle that has received an Approved
Emissions Modification based solely on:
i. The fact that the vehicle received the Approved Emissions Modification; or
ii. Emissions resulting from the modification (including but not limited to the
anticipated emissions described in Appendix B to the Consent Decree); or
iii. Other emissions-related vehicle characteristics that result from the
modification

.... Of course Diesel Hating CARB will try to figure out another way around it.

According to Appendix D they can't deny Registration for those reasons, but you can bet they will try to pass/invent other ridiculous compliance requirements designed to COMPLIANCE them out of existence.

EXAMPLES:

CARB's 7500 miles crazy rule
MANY YEARS AGO CARB BANNED Registration for ALL/ANY 49 state Vehicles Registration when these vehicles have 7500 miles or less.

Anyone who doesn't understand what the point of this law, doesn't understand how sneaky CARB minds work.

Another Example:

CARB closed door meeting: we can eliminate a big portion of Diesel trucks in other ways, we can't ban them directly, but we can regulate them out of existence by passing laws that require all Diesel trucks to be refit with SCR and Particulate filters, knowing full well it's going to cost more to refit than the trucks are worth, this is one way we can back door ban those filthy Diesels from our California fairy land.

Nevermind that all those trucks passed all regulations when purchased, the goal is to get them all off the road and out of our state!

This is how sneaky CARB is.

Last edited:

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
I'm almost certainly going do the buy back. my 2009 has just hit the 120,000 mile mark and that maintenance is more expensive than what I am willing to put into the TDI. I can put that money toward a new something.

I had iniially planned to drive this car into the ground but with the Timing Belt and the jacked up way the DPF is attached. I also don't have any faith that VW will be able to "Fix" Gen 1 cars so..........

Redgrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jsw
Mercifully, some road conditions here have improved in the last 50 years.

'bout the only "STOPS" I witness are the turn pike rollers.

Generally I am at MAX speed to 5-8 under.

At 5-8 under the MAX, lead foots are over taking me at 15 to 25 -- rather uncomfortable unless you stay alert

Please tell me you stay in the far right lane... I am one of the lead foots and appreciate the room!

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Different states do have different priorities... here the first question when stopped is should you be driving that particular car (and they do understand driving a friends/families car). As for insurance the paper doesn't prove anything... I get them valid for 6 months, but if I miss a payment the insurance goes poof but I've still got the paper. I'd rather carry the registration (good for 2 years) than have to remember to swap out insurance cards every 6 months.
In Oregon, they require a current proof of insurance card. I was pulled over once for exceeding the speed limit and, luckily, the officer only cited me for having a noncurrent insurance card. He told me to show up in court with the current proof and it will be dismissed. Only got a caution for speeding. Whew!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
In Oregon, they require a current proof of insurance card. I was pulled over once for exceeding the speed limit and, luckily, the officer only cited me for having a noncurrent insurance card. He told me to show up in court with the current proof and it will be dismissed. Only got a caution for speeding. Whew!
I think it's the same way here in IL, and many other places. We got stopped in IN a number of years ago and our insurance card was not in the car. He just gave us a ticket, dropped conditional on getting a current insurance card to the courthouse of the county we were passing through. Luckily, it was possible to handle all that by mail.....don't have any clue as to whether it'd be that easy to deal with now.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
From Appendix D:

(b) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle that has received an Approved Emissions Modification based solely on:
i. The fact that the vehicle received the Approved Emissions Modification; or
ii. Emissions resulting from the modification (including but not limited to the
anticipated emissions described in Appendix B to the Consent Decree); or
iii. Other emissions-related vehicle characteristics that result from the
modification

This is exactly why I posted my response on another thread. People think they can do nothing to their cars and not have their registration denied. The truth is the must get the "fix" ... they just can't deny you because the fix doesn't actually fully comply with smog.

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
This is exactly why I posted my response on another thread. People think they can do nothing to their cars and not have their registration denied. The truth is the must get the "fix" ... they just can't deny you because the fix doesn't actually fully comply with smog.
I don't read it that way at all...you quoted (b). My reading of (a) leads me to believe that as long as the State signed off on the settlement, you remain free to do nothing, and your registration cannot be denied based solely on the the defeat device emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.