DieselGate Void Warranty

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
I Work in a Diesel shop. Semi and medium duty. From what I read if I can produce a RO for doing my own personal oil changes as recommended by VW I will not void my Emissions Warranty. Also have to use German oil filter and spec oil is this true or? Any VW dealership techs out there help me with this. Thanks, Tom.

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T
As far as I know as long you keep receipts for genuine oils and filters you should be fine, I doubt they'd even request it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you have an issue I can almost assure you that they will request it. Easy way for them to get off the hook due to lack of maintenance.

TDI
2013 Sportwagen, 2012 Golf
If you have an issue I can almost assure you that they will request it. Easy way for them to get off the hook due to lack of maintenance.
DPF replaced twice in my daughters car. Not once ever asked for maintenance records. This was at Maund VW.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DPF = Diesel Particulate filter

On your exhaust system for removing soot in the exhaust and burning it off into ash. If you really don't know what this is I would urge you to read up on them here and learn about it. It needs regen to burn off soot every 200 +/- miles or so. This can really ruin your day if you short trip a lot.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
When under warranty, I take a photo of the 5 liter oil jug and filter, and a second of the odometer

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I know VW seems to play by their own rules, but proving an oil change and maintenance would have to be spelled out in their extended warranty. To my knowledge, no such verbiage exists. For instance, I just bought a used TDI, I dont know what type of maintenance the previous owners did. The only way that would happen is if it was logged and done ONLY at a VW garage (and even then, they don't always keep the best records -hell, my car has no record of VW doing the "Fix" on my car, I only know it was dont because of the sticker under the hood.). So I think if VW claimed anything like this, it would not be hard to fight in a court. Granted, they got high dollar lawyers and money to burn and I dont, BUT unless you jest get a pisssy VW shop that is trying to void your warranty over little crap... I think you're good. I could be wrong, but its free advice- you get what you pay for.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Dieselgate warranty is fully disclosed as to what the Co is responsible for if things with the emission system crap out before the stated warranty limits. Keep all your proof of taking care of your cars. I will use the dealer on all issues that affect that extended emission warranty. That's just me being careful.