Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
The Bosch settlement in Canada was released last week. You are eligible for a payment only if you leased or sold your vehicle prior to the VW pre-approval date.

https://www.boschcanadasettlement.com/

You have until August 21 to object or opt out.
Thanks got an email from Ricepoint about this. My 2011 was written off prior to the settlement so I may be in for $750 based on what I am reading.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I got the email last week too. I think we qualify as we sold ours back to VW 3 yrs ago this August so we're in for another $750!

Last edited:

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
check your junk mail....that's where mine ended up.

i'll be getting something back for my 2L unused extended warranty...better than nothing

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I emailed the class lawyers on it as I got no emails,, still awaiting them to respond..
Edit they responded updating my address, they prob never will reply that they did it though.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
FAQ # 8

When and how will payments be made to Bosch Eligible Claimants?

The means and timing of payment will depend on the category of Bosch Eligible Claimants.

As we know the overall number of Direct Claimants who received the corresponding lessee or seller benefits in the 2L Settlement or 3L Settlement, and the Claims Administrator has information that would allow it to simply mail cheques to their last known addresses, the payments for 3L Gen 2 Lessee Payments, 2L Seller Payments and 3L Seller Payments can be made first and without the need for a claims process. These payments will be made after the end of the Extended Warranty Claims Period.

Payments for Extended Warranty Claims require a claims process where the Claims Administrator will review the information submitted, verify eligibility and if the Extended Warranty Criteria is met, calculate the initial entitlement of the Eligible 2L Extended Warranty Claimant. This initial entitlement may change for two reasons:

(a) Depending on the number of valid Extended Warranty Claims submitted, it may be necessary to pro-rate the payments made to each Eligible 2L Extended Warranty Claimants from the Notional Extended Warranty Entitlement; and

(b) It is possible that some of the 3L Gen 2 Lessee Payments, 2L Seller Payments and 3L Seller Payments will be undeliverable or remain uncashed after 6 months. Cheques that remained uncashed after 6 months will become staled-dated, and the corresponding payment will be deemed forfeited, and will be used to increase the amount of money available to pay valid Extended Warranty Claims.

For this reason, it is not possible to begin making payment of Extended Warranty Claims until the end of the Extended Warranty Claims Period, and after 6 months from delivery of payment to all Direct Claimants. We expect that payment of Extended Warranty Claims will be made as soon as possible after the end of the Extended Warranty Claims Period, and will be accompanied by a letter explaining the calculation of the payment, and any adjustments made.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Email revived today...​

Legal Notice of Settlement Approval in Bosch Emissions Class Action

Note: if you purchased or leased your vehicle in the Province of Quebec, this does not apply to you. Please disregard this email.
Claim ID: RBQ-12345678-1
PIN:123456

Following announcements regarding the installation of emissions software in certain 2009-2016 Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche vehicles equipped with diesel engines, a number of class actions were commenced across Canada (the “Emissions Claims”). The Emissions Claims were already the subject of two court-approved settlements with Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche with respect to certain 2L diesel vehicles (the “2L Settlement”) and 3L diesel vehicles (the “3L Settlement”). Those settlements have been implemented, and extensive benefits were made available to owners and lessees of the affected vehicles.

A separate action was brought against the manufacturer of the emissions software, Robert Bosch GmbH (the “Bosch Action”). On September 22, 2020, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice approved a settlement in the Bosch Action (the “Bosch Settlement”). You are receiving this email because your name appears on a list of persons who may have been eligible to participate in the 2L Settlement or in the 3L Settlement and thus may also be affected by the Bosch Settlement. We are thus required by an order of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to deliver this notice to provide notice to you of the approval of the Bosch Settlement. We urge you to read the court-approved notice, available here, which provides information about the Bosch Settlement, who is entitled to receive benefits, and what if anything you may have to do in order to receive benefits for which you may be eligible. As you will see, not everyone will be eligible to receive benefits. Some persons will automatically receive benefits based on information from the 2L Settlement and 3L Settlement (but may want to ensure their contact information is current). Other persons will need to make claims to receive their benefits, in which case there is a deadline for that.

For more information about each of those developments, whether you are affected by them and your options, please visit www.BoschCanadaSettlement.com, or contact one of the lawyers representing claimants (Class Counsel) for assistance at no cost to you. Contact information is set out on www.BoschCanadaSettlement.com.
This message was intended for: crashtested@somemailserver.com

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Of the 9 million is that lawyers fees included or will we get enough to buy a stamp? I did the verify address which didnt work so guess a call is due.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I used to think the same thing about class action settlements ("$200Million settlement; fill in this form, and in 3-5yrs, I get a check for $4" or the like).

Dieselgate has been by far the exception: $3500 each on two cars (Mk7) that I bought well *after* the whole thing broke (like late 2017). Plus another low-four figures from a settlement having to do with VLKAY (VW stock on the US exchanges).

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Reading through the approved Bosch settlement, it seems that only those who sold their rides before Jan 4, 2017 would get some $ (as far as the 2.0L owners go, not the lessees or those with extended warranties). So, for us who took the buy back later in 2017, there's jack Sh!t, zippo, nada, void, zero....:(

Last edited:

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
so how do I find out how many km and years I have left on the diesel warranty? the local dealer is useless and they won't answer my question unless I bring my car in for an appointment and pay a diagnostic fee.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
We don't have that. VW Canada took it down.

The PDF file for your vehicle should show the coverage, based on mileage and/or time.

Further, they have this available (from VW Canada's website):

If we can be of further assistance, please contact Volkswagen Canada Customer CARE at 1-800-822-8987 or vwcarecanada@vw.ca.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Reading through the approved Bosch settlement, it seems that only those who sold their rides before Jan 4, 2017 would get some $ (as far as the 2.0L owners go, not the lessees or those with extended warranties). So, for us who took the buy back later in 2017, there's jack Sh!t, zippo, nada, void, zero....:(
just called Ricepoint and yep guess nothing for the rest of us.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Fingers crossed?

I hadn't look at the RP site in a while but I was able to log in and file my claim. Who knows, I guess we'll see!

Even stranger was that I decided to purge my maintenance binder just this morning and the records for our 2010 had made it into the recycling bin. Had to go and dig for the extended warranty date/price to submit the claim.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
so how do I find out how many km and years I have left on the diesel warranty? the local dealer is useless and they won't answer my question unless I bring my car in for an appointment and pay a diagnostic fee.
Try different dealers or call corporate as they can't "deny you" this info.... I've even gotten this info for vehicles I was considering buying to check what the sellers were claiming.

2011tdiguy

TDI
2011 Jetta
Since the tdi "fix" on my car in 2017 I have had 3 DPFs replaced. My MIL went on again the other day and it is in the shop again, likely for a 4th new DPF. Does anybody else have this issue?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since the tdi "fix" on my car in 2017 I have had 3 DPFs replaced. My MIL went on again the other day and it is in the shop again, likely for a 4th new DPF. Does anybody else have this issue?
How is this even possible? What kind of odo reading are you at?
I am the original owner of my 2010, I'm currently at 279xxx and still on original DPF..... on top of that, I let it get clogged up and even had to do an emergency regen on it back in 2013 or something when I drove about 10k with a failed EGT sensor and no active regens were taking place.

2011tdiguy

TDI
2011 Jetta
How is this even possible? What kind of odo reading are you at?
I am the original owner of my 2010, I'm currently at 279xxx and still on original DPF..... on top of that, I let it get clogged up and even had to do an emergency regen on it back in 2013 or something when I drove about 10k with a failed EGT sensor and no active regens were taking place.
DPF has overheated and cracked every time. its a 2011 Jetta with 310,000 km on it. They replaced the engine temp sensor under warranty (a few times now) but engine light came back on right away, most recently replaced the egr but they didnt run it through the complete im readiness cycle so the EGR and DPF cycles are still incomplete... I dont know how they can say the fixed anything without letting it run through a cycle. Hopefully the EGR was the culprit the whole time as this is the first time its been replaced - apparently egr has a big impact on DPF regen and clog issues. We will see in a few days when i complete the cylce

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And here I thought that all the incompetent dealers were on the other side of the border :unsure:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Ohhh fingers crossed!

GD were you a seller or did you opt for the buyback?

I actually had checked out the ricepoint site last week wondering what the outcome was.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
My mailbox has yet to be graced with free $$.

Last thing I received was this email back in March:

Date: March 8, 2021 at 09:01:26 PST
To: imightbeasucker@gmail.com
Subject: Confirmation of receipt of your online Quenneville et al v Robert Bosch GmbhH Claim

Thank you for filing your claim online on 3/8/2021 12:01:20 PM.
Your Claim ID is: SOL-55555512-3
Please retain this information in your records and use the Claim ID in any communications with KCC regarding this case.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Spoke to RP this morning and sellers are getting their cheques ahead of those of us who opted to take the "buy back". RP said it could take anywhere from 6mo to a year.