Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
I am sorry to ask, but how do I do to see something like this?. I made my appointment, and now I am in step 19, where I can only see the place, date and time for my appointment.
In my case, updated values were posted to step 19 page after confirming latest mileage during the "pre-surrender confirmation call." This call happens no more than 20 days prior to surrender date. Prior to this call, I also could only see place, date, time for my appointment as well as link to offer (on step 19 page).
Perhaps your date is outside of this 20 day window? Hope that helps, good luck!

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Quick question, who's the issuer of the cheque?

I have a deposit down on another vehicle which I plan to pickup the day of my turn in, private deal. I wanted to know if it's a VW cheque, or a Ricepoint cheque. The last thing I want is the bank deciding they want to put a hold on the cheque because they never heard of some company.

Also, my final payout shown on their website after I booked my appointment went up from the quoted amount by $800.. so that makes me even more happy.

$23,628.00 for my 2011.
Doesn't matter whose check it is, if it's not certified, your bank can put a hold on it based on your banks internal process... whether that includes your credit, the check issuer, the colour of sky, your appearance when you deposit it, etc. is up to them.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Has anyone received anything from BOSCH? Folks in the US are already getting cheques from them....havent heard squat here.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Doesn't matter whose check it is, if it's not certified, your bank can put a hold on it based on your banks internal process... whether that includes your credit, the check issuer, the colour of sky, your appearance when you deposit it, etc. is up to them.
Ok, I guess then the question, are the cheques certified?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Ok, I guess then the question, are the cheques certified?
No, they are not. It's a Citibank check, not certified, it's a normal draft, a promissory note.

Hence the issues with people trying to endorse them to dealers (a lot of banks won't take endorsed check's per policy), and having holds (dependent on your bank and relationship therein).

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
No, they are not. It's a Citibank check, not certified, it's a normal draft, a promissory note.
Hence the issues with people trying to endorse them to dealers (a lot of banks won't take endorsed check's per policy), and having holds (dependent on your bank and relationship therein).
Yeah, I just got off the phone with my VW dealership, and he said pretty much the same thing. I'm going to be pretty upset if I'm without a vehicle for 3-7 business days after turn in. I guess the next step is to call my bank.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Honestly, it is not VW's nor Ricepoint's problem if your bank puts a hold on a cheque you deposit. Banks sometimes put holds even on certified cheques, especially if they are for large amounts.

I'd count on those funds not being available for 5 days, and plan accordingly. It does not cost a lot to rent a car for a week.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Honestly, it is not VW's nor Ricepoint's problem if your bank puts a hold on a cheque you deposit. Banks sometimes put holds even on certified cheques, especially if they are for large amounts.

I'd count on those funds not being available for 5 days, and plan accordingly. It does not cost a lot to rent a car for a week.
Bingo.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Our dealer allowed us to endorse the cheque and applied it to the price of our new car. I had a plan "B" lined up and ready to go though: use the line of credit to pay for the new car and reimburse the line of credit when the cheque cleared. I didn't need to do that but I figured the interest on maybe 5 days was going to be minimal, and probably less than a car rental. I live in a rural area and renting a car here is a pain in the butt.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Walked into my branch this afternoon and confirmed it will be held for 5-7 business days.

Guaranteed I won't be buying another VW anytime soon for sure.

Rod B

TDI
2010 Golf TDI replaced with 2018 Subaru Forester XT Ltd
Turned in my TDI today. Fifteen minutes is all it took, cheque is in the bank, now just waiting for my 2018 Subaru Forester XT LTD to arrive.

Thanks to all on this forum for their assistance & advice but it is goodbye to all things VW. I have had enough of their lies & deceit.

Caocao

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline Pure White
Dropped off the old Jetta yesterday afternoon and picked up a new Golf. Very happy that all that $hlt is now behind me. Now need to find a way through that wall of flame in BC to get to the new home in Victoria!

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
Dropped off the old Jetta yesterday afternoon and picked up a new Golf. Very happy that all that $hlt is now behind me. Now need to find a way through that wall of flame in BC to get to the new home in Victoria!
Glad it all worked out before the big move, nicely played. May 2nd gang...

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Our dealer allowed us to endorse the cheque and applied it to the price of our new car. I had a plan "B" lined up and ready to go though: use the line of credit to pay for the new car and reimburse the line of credit when the cheque cleared. I didn't need to do that but I figured the interest on maybe 5 days was going to be minimal, and probably less than a car rental. I live in a rural area and renting a car here is a pain in the butt.
I traded mine in today and the dealer was happy to have me endorse the cheque over to them.
And before anyone asks.... no, this is not a VW policy, nor a dealer policy, it is 100% a branch policy. As in, whatever bank branch the dealer happens to use. Some allow endorsements, others won't - there's no set banking law or policy federally.

So, some dealers will let you, others won't. If you try and deposit an endorsed check at a branch that won't take one, it's a royal pain in the ass since the check gets mailed back to the depositor, who then needs to track down the original payee, get them to deposit, take out the money, hand it to the depositor.... giant pain...

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Dropping off my TDI on Aug. 1st.
I just picked up a 2015 Mazda CX5 with 42K kms.
I will drive this until next year when the CX5 diesel arrives in Canada, at which time I will be getting my "torque" back.

I just received this email from the dealer I am returning my TDI to:

I’m the manager of Nanaimo Vw. Soon you are coming to our store for your TDI settlement. And you have indicated that you are taking the buy back option. Currently at our facility we stand at the following:

60% Trade in
30% Buy back
10% Fix

There could be many reasons you may have picked the “buy back” option.

• [FONT=&quot]Unaware of what your options were[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Needed the balance for debt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lost confidence in the VW[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Already had more than one vehicle[/FONT]

As the manager I would like to extend one last opportunity to earn your business on a New 2017 or 2018 model. I will do any in stock vehicle $500 over invoice, and include all weather mats, mud guards and trunk liner at no additional charge.
Sadly I've lost my faith in VW as a company, even though they make good cars, but no more VWs for my family.

VW History;
1956 Karmann Ghia convertible
1964 Beetle
1970 Beetle
1969 Baja Bug
1969 Type III wagon
1988 Fox Wagon
1991 Jetta
2012 TDI Golf

Thanks for the memories....

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Walked into my branch this afternoon and confirmed it will be held for 5-7 business days.

Guaranteed I won't be buying another VW anytime soon for sure.
Read above - your bank holding onto your money for days at a time is THEM ripping you off, not VW. I'm with HSBC and there is zero hold on cheques, including the one from VW I deposited from VW a few weeks ago.

Don't care if you don't buy another VW but do it for the right reasons, and maybe change bank if you're really on an anti-ripoff crusade.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Dropping off my TDI on Aug. 1st.
I just picked up a 2015 Mazda CX5 with 42K kms.
I will drive this until next year when the CX5 diesel arrives in Canada, at which time I will be getting my "torque" back.

I just received this email from the dealer I am returning my TDI to:

Sadly I've lost my faith in VW as a company, even though they make good cars, but no more VWs for my family.

VW History;
1956 Karmann Ghia convertible
1964 Beetle
1970 Beetle
1969 Baja Bug
1969 Type III wagon
1988 Fox Wagon
1991 Jetta
2012 TDI Golf

Thanks for the memories....
Wow Scratcy; gotta give him credit for at least trying !! I was contacted way back in early May just after the settlement program rolled out. The usual " we have specially trained staff here to assist you in any decisions or questions you may have, please don't hesitate to call"..... Lol
After all the nonsense I've been through in the last 4 months ... it'll soon be a memory for me as well...

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Nice.. Very nice. Wagon looks to be in very clean shape. Enjoy your new ride.
Solid come-up, congrats Rob !
I did swap the rims so I kept the alloys for my newish snow tires. The 2011 had under 90,000kms on it at turn in time and was spotless. I even returned the block heater cable, rear hatch cover, and the unused original floor mats. I kept the Monster mats and trunk protector. The Q3 came with LED lights inside, but I still pulled and replaced the DeAuto LEDs from the inside.
I must say that the Audi is a much superior and enjoyable ride. I will enjoy it!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Don't care if you don't buy another VW but do it for the right reasons.
I'm still not pi$$ed off enough at VW to forego the only manual transmission mid-sized station wagon on the market (the Outback is losing its manual next MY, is ugly, and doesn't handle as well as VW).

Actually, the ONLY manual wagon on the market after the Outback loses its manual. There are a couple of base manual SUVs on the market (CX5, outgoing Tiguan, HRV, Qashquai) but try and find one... and I'm no fan of the SUV concept, at least for as long as I can still climb out of a lowish car.

I also kept our alloys to use for snow tires on the new car; I have to decide what to do with the summer tires on them (Bridgestone Ecopias), they still have lots of life on them, only 1 season of use.

Last edited: