Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
I tried it with a range of km to see how the mileage affects the result.
2013 Golf Comfortline 6sp

50K km $17,050
65K km $16,200
70K km $16,200
72.5K km $15,050
75K km $15,050
85K km $15,050
95K km $15,050
100K km $13,600
105K km $13,600

I am currently at 74,500 km so my current number is $15,050 which is quite a bit lower than I was expecting

It is evident that the mileage steps are large (large km range) and large $ difference when you change range. That may cause some surprises when people get their offers based on updated mileage.

The way I understand this, the mileage ranges should shift up over time (meaning same dollars for higher mileage) as we go through the buy-back period. Ie waiting until the end of 2018 may give you a better result if you are near the bottom of a range and your mileage hasn't changed much (or a worse result if you are near the top of a range and put on more than the average kms).
Keep going with higher mileage and suddenly it starts going up! My value was higher at 160k than 130k for my 2013 Passat.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Where do I sign? Can the time move any faster, so I can spend my VW cheque on some useful things?

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Good point. Following this logic, it encourages people to drive as little as possible, if buy back is the ultimate goal. Even if you decide to keep it and take the fixes, there's still a lot of unknowns (especially for gen 1 vehicles) regarding this, so people going this way could ultimately ending being forced to take a buy back.
Just don't go too far with the logic of driving it as little as possible. Due to depreciation you would probably pay a lot more for the kms driven in another car than you would in the TDI. This calculation should allow you to drive average miles for free. You can't do that in a new car.

I say should because we don't know because VW has still not given us all the details. Keep those objections about not knowing the detail valuation methodology coming.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
Keep going with higher mileage and suddenly it starts going up! My value was higher at 160k than 130k for my 2013 Passat.
That's weird. For my 2012 Passat, it goes down quite sharply from 100K to 130K, then almost plateaus between 140K to 200K, then goes down sharply again after 200K.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Comparing the value from the site calculator with the values in the pictures from the actual CBB book posted on facebook I would say this calculator is shortchanging me

2013 Golf hatchback Comfortline 6sp with below average Km (74,500 km vs 100,000 average based on 2000 per month)

Calculator on site gives me $15,050.
CBB book has a range of $14,975 to $16,275 which is supposed to be for the average mileage.

Why am I at the low end of the range when my mileage is well below average?

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
In the small print that we skipped before getting to the calculator:
"The Vehicle Value Estimator will be available until the claims process begins"

So they are going to take this away from us once the process begins. We will be back to playing blind. We won't see how the mileage ranges are affected by the passage of time. If you get an offer that surprises you you won't have a reference you can use to try to understand why it changed. Hell, with the qualifiers they have placed on this VW could completely change the offer and we wouldn't have anything to argue with.

I know I sound paranoid, but I really have not seen anything in VW behaviour that would make me trust them.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Site is asking for user and pass now. So far I've tried

User: ourlawyersgotscrewedbyvwlawuers pass: lololol
User: installingcalculatorcheatdevice pass: whomadethiscrap

Neither worked. :(

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Managed to get the calculator to work once but now it either asks for login details or doesn't work at all. The button is greyed out with no link. ??

From what I've seen, I'm still po'ed that we pay more for these vehicles when new but receive less than our US counterparts for buyouts.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Managed to get the calculator to work once but now it either asks for login details or doesn't work at all. The button is greyed out with no link. ??

From what I've seen, I'm still po'ed that we pay more for these vehicles when new but receive less than our US counterparts for buyouts.
Less than US even without conversion at that (at least for me). Could have sold it for more back in 2015, could sell it for more now likely.

hogujak

TDI
Passat
How long would it take for them to actually buyback our vehicle once they find out the buyback value on Mar?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
How long would it take for them to actually buyback our vehicle once they find out the buyback value on Mar?
No earlier than the end of April, based on the docs.

Reports are that the calculator is offline because someone at VW/Risepoint realized it was giving $3-4000 more when you put MORE miles on your car...

So any numbers you may have got before, may not be right....

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
No earlier than the end of April, based on the docs.

Reports are that the calculator is offline because someone at VW/Risepoint realized it was giving $3-4000 more when you put MORE miles on your car...

So any numbers you may have got before, may not be right....
Hmmm...weird. I guess some kind of glitch. I didn't see such trend when I plugged some numbers. My values were not too far from what I calculated on my own either. Less than $1,000 difference.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
My number lost $1500 at 80k, but gained $1000 of it back at 110k...

Others got wildly wonky numbers as they plotted the amounts across different mileage.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I hear that VW is currently actively looking for sites in Ontario to store vehicles they will be buying back .... should be a good sign for anyone who wants to get rid of their car as quickly as possible.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My number lost $1500 at 80k, but gained $1000 of it back at 110k...

Others got wildly wonky numbers as they plotted the amounts across different mileage.

Unbelievable, eh? ... so they can code quite elaborate cheating software, but cannot handle a simple formula affected by a bunch of variables. I guess they fired the skilled coders already ...

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Unbelievable, eh? ... so they can code quite elaborate cheating software, but cannot handle a simple formula affected by a bunch of variables. I guess they fired the skilled coders already ...
..and if they hadn't made this feeble attempt to put this out this estimator may have been what they used to provide your offers. Nobody would have known there was an issue because there would have been nothing to check against.

We need VW to publish and be bound by the actual algorithm and data to be used. It needs to be part of the agreement that the owners, Class Council and the Judge can assess as to its fairness. It can not just be an be estimator that is temporarily available with a qualifier like:
"Use this estimator before we take it down at the start of the claims process. It may be outright wrong and your offer may be different for various reasons. Refer to the agreement to confirm the details. [And BTW agreement has no details]".​

There cannot be an agreement where the basis to determine the pay-out is not known.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There cannot be an agreement where the basis to determine the pay-out is not known.

Well, however embarrassing this is for them, in my case there can be a deal even with their joke of estimator ... LOL ..., but I understand how others are not so willing.

Honestly, I am past the point of return and I do know they will give me $5100 + minimum what I would get on the depressed market today. So I am being very very conservative, and I know I will get more than that. But even if I didn't, I want this to be done and over with, car off my driveway and insurance policy.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Quite frankly I don't even care what the amount is anymore. I just want this over with so I can move on with my life.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Quite frankly I don't even care what the amount is anymore. I just want this over with so I can move on with my life.
Somewhat along the lines ... the moment I purchased replacement vehicle, my priorities have shifted. Last Nov, I thought I will hold off until I have the cash from VW, but that train left the station long time ago, actually the moment I realized it will take until mid 2017 at best, give or take. Now, give me the tort+whatever vehicle amount minimum matching the current market and I swear, I will not be back in your showroom for long time. I think I am fair to them ... LOL

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Was at the Canadian International auto show yesterday. I must say the VW section had a fair amount of people browsing looking in, getting into vehicles. Had a nice Alltrack there as well. My vehicle needs have changed as well, so I'll be moving on...

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still on the fence regarding my next move. The information so far seems to indicate the my Passat will be able to take the fix, at least the step 1 (apparently software only). Hopefully with a good warranty to match. My vehicle has fairly average millage, but because our driving needs have changed, we don't commute as much anymore.

I hope that the March 3rd update regarding the Gen 2 engines fix will bring more info. I will the drive it until at least June next year, when all the pieces fall and see if I have to take the buy back or not.

chachee

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
It looks like the bug back estimator is back up.

I put in the info on my 2012 Jetta comfort line with 144k... it told me 10,800.
Out of curiosity I put a couple other mileages in, and i get more if I put more km on the car. At 165k I get almost 12,000

This buyback is going to be a hot mess

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
It looks like the bug back estimator is back up
Still shows as offline on the main page here.

Interestingly the direct link works though..

Shows mine as 18,528 (plus 5100), which is pretty much what I calculated as well.

Last edited:

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Got the letter in the mail about Phase I available now

Anyone care to elaborate on where it says if we choose to do the recall once settlements begin, we eliminate our rights to buybacks and benefits?

If we intend to do the buyback, is it mandatory we do the recall now then?