Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There is some minimum mileage under which you will not be rewarded anymore .... anyway, somebody with time and will could work out a formula now with a few reasonable assumptions, exhibit 5 ranges and now available CBB Sep 2015 numbers. I am lazy and too comfortable in my festive mood, therefore I will go with the lower wholesale value which I still consider fair. Anything plus is bonus equivalent to cashing a scratch lottery ticket ....

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
There is a related question around whether the 24k/a benchmark is applied in terms of years-in-service or model year. I bet it is model year.
Replying to my own post, which might be a sign of mental illness.

I was able to confirm with someone in the used car industry that the 24k/a benchmark is computed based on years in service.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Does anyone know what factors would affect the HIGH wholesale value other than milage?

My 2011 Golf TDI 5DR Highline has 50000k on it. I would assume I should be pretty darn close to the high value.

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I had visited a dealer, he was able to take time what might numbers might looked like for my two cars he used september 2015 numbers and I had mileage from 2015 they had all that information from my oil changes that year

2013 VW golf TDI wagon comfortline DSG with 55000 km came to with everything to 22627 cdn (this is including wholesale value adj of mileage+ cash 5100)

2015 VW Golf Htcback comfortline DGS with 34000 km came to with everything to 28971 cdn (this is including wholesale value adj of mileage + cash 7000)

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Does anyone know what factors would affect the HIGH wholesale value other than milage?
My 2011 Golf TDI 5DR Highline has 50000k on it. I would assume I should be pretty darn close to the high value.

friend of mine has the same like you but less mileage and got 20625 cdn

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My cars mileage is so high the CBB current FMV calculator won't even show me a number without asking me for email info (don't want to waste someones time), I had to under cut by quite a bit of km.

The penalty for very high mileage drivers is pretty steep, surprise surprise, thus all these signs are telling me this is probably the only opportunity to get a reasonable penny for the car else or keep it until the end of its days.

I am within Exibit 5, table 2's value range thou.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
friend of mine has the same like you but less mileage and got 20625 cdn
What do you mean by he 'got' 20625. Do you mean he estimated it?

I'm not even sure how people are doing their calculations. The wholesale value (with nav) goes from $14925 - $16225, with penalty brings the range to $20,025 - $21,325.. yet table 2 says the top end is $23,626.

Last edited:

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
What do you mean by he 'got' 20625. Do you mean he estimated it?

I'm not even sure how people are doing their calculations. The wholesale value (with nav) goes from $14925 - $16225, with penalty brings the range to $20,025 - $21,325.. yet table 2 says the top end is $23,626.

all the numbers were estimated using the real mileage that includes the mileage adjustment plus the cash incentive, the top end I do not think anybody will reach unless you had very low mileage car like way below norm where mileage becomes positive cash into the calculation, what they put is range min and max and most people will fall in between, the mileage will be the part of the key , on my 2013 in order to get max number my mileage would have to be close to 15000 km I should of parked my car in 2014 :D

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You need to take the time and read the court documents released. The answer is there how to calculate your Sep 2015 mileage from the current mileage. Of course, it's a prorated average number. The only time you will not like it is if your driving patterns have drastically changed between Sep 2015 and today to whenever you settle. For most people it will work just fine. Parking a car and not driving it basically lowers your Sep 2015 mileage ...

node_one

TDI
2012 Golf TDI

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
You need to take the time and read the court documents released. The answer is there how to calculate your Sep 2015 mileage from the current mileage. Of course, it's a prorated average number. The only time you will not like it is if your driving patterns have drastically changed between Sep 2015 and today to whenever you settle. For most people it will work just fine. Parking a car and not driving it basically lowers your Sep 2015 mileage ...
The document talks about a mileage proration only for the cars that are in the maximum mileage category. Where maximum starts is undefined in the document. For the rest then the doc talks about placing each car in a mileage category (ranges undefined in the document) based on the mileage just before you turn the car in. According to the doc they will then use this category to price the car using the Sept 2015 wholesale value.

The settlement agreement does not quantify all these categories (even though CBB & VW must have this data) and I don't know that this will ever be clearly explained. Having the pictures of the CBB sept 2015 pages helps but it still leaves a lot of room for misunderstanding. It will be interesting when we start getting our quotes before turning in our cars. The lack of transparency will cause a lot of needless arguments and appeals.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Not the way I exactly understand it ..... but at any rate, yes the agreement doesn't qualify categories precisely, but it does explain how "current mileage" affects the vehicle value (and it tells you calculate the current mileage figure back from today's mileage).

I agree, it's far from ironclad, but should be good enough for most owners anywhere between 15-25K km /year .... 20K being the average 0 base.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Not the way I exactly understand it ..... but at any rate, yes the agreement doesn't qualify categories precisely, but it does explain how "current mileage" affects the vehicle value (and it tells you calculate the current mileage figure back from today's mileage).

I agree, it's far from ironclad, but should be good enough for most owners anywhere between 15-25K km /year .... 20K being the average 0 base.
Schedule E of the proposed agreement tells us how the mileage for Sept 2015 is calculated but that clearly only applies to cars in the "highest" mileage category.
"For those vehicles whose Current Mileage places them in the highest mileage CBB Wholesale Category, their Vehicle Value will be further determined by establishing by calculation their mileage as of September 18, 2015."​

For other cars the applicable (yet vague) description of how vehicle value is determined is in the Long Form Notice, Question J
"CBB uses mileage to determine vehicle categories, which in turn are used to determine vehicle values. Your vehicle’s category at the time of your Buyback will be used to determine your Vehicle Value based upon CBB vehicle values frozen as of September 18, 2015."​

Edit: BTW The photo shots of the CBB pages indicated that the base mileage per year is 24,000 km (not 20,000). That's a good thing if it is applied in the settlement.

Last edited:

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I just noticed what to me is a much more serious problem with the Settlement Agreement associated with not knowing the details of the Vehicle Value in a timely manner.

The problem is Paragraph 6.3 of the settlement agreement that talks about the "Irrevocability of Benefits Selection". There is language in there that implies that owners can only change their selection "until twenty (20) days prior to their scheduled appointment for receiving their chosen benefit" and yet it sounds like the offer with the actual $ comes after that period based on mileage provided "no more than 20 days before the Buyback"

It looks like we are locked into our benefit selection prior to finding out what the actual offer is.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
It will be interesting when we start getting our quotes before turning in our cars.
How are the mechanics of this going to work? And when is the soonest that a dealership is equipped to provide a tdi owner with a firm quote?

(Speaking with two dealerships within the last week they had no idea of details).

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
I am sorry for asking a Q that has been answered already but will one be offered a different ie higher quote for one's TDI if one is going to purchase at the same time a replacement VW vehicle?

bmcmullin

TDI
2012 Touareg Execline, 2011 Jetta (bought back 6/17)
Extending on the effort of Derrick Kostiner (who posted images of the Sept 2015 CBB pages on FB), I entered all the values for the TDIs into a Google Sheet and created a buyback value estimator tool that calculates the Sept 2015 Kms on the vehicle and the corresponding deduction/addition to the buyback amount.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-io8cs6S82FeW5OZFa459yiFuuaZ72kkZo1QmdrPls0/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to use the tool, you need to have a Google account and save a copy of the sheet to your Google Drive.

Spreadsheet wizards, feel free to add more smarts to the sheet. PM me and I'll give you edit rights (rather than having multiple published versions).

Last edited:

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
How are the mechanics of this going to work? And when is the soonest that a dealership is equipped to provide a tdi owner with a firm quote?
(Speaking with two dealerships within the last week they had no idea of details).
Its not the dealer that will provide the quote. It will all be managed by the court appointed claims administrator (Ricepoint) who will provide the quote within 20 days of your buyback appointment after confirming your mileage and based on a yet to be public calculation method (first problem)

You will exchange your car for a cheque at the dealer but he doesn't set the $ involved. That's probably a good thing.

Biggest problem is you are committed to your settlement choice before you get the quote. To me that's a show stopper in the whole deal.

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Extending on the effort of Derrick Kostiner (who posted images of the Sept 2015 CBB pages on FB), I entered all the values for the TDIs into a Google Sheet and created a buyback value estimator tool that calculates the Sept 2015 Kms on the vehicle and the corresponding deduction/addition to the buyback amount.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-io8cs6S82FeW5OZFa459yiFuuaZ72kkZo1QmdrPls0/edit?usp=sharing
If you want to use the tool, you need to have a Google account and save a copy of the sheet to your Google Drive.
Spreadsheet wizards, feel free to add more smarts to the sheet. PM me and I'll give you edit rights (rather than having multiple published versions).
Aren't Golf TDI's category A on the 2015 CBB, thus it's a 0.05 modifier for mileage calculation, not 0.08.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Extending on the effort of Derrick Kostiner (who posted images of the Sept 2015 CBB pages on FB),
I fully understand you get penalized for high mileage, which seems to be defined as >24k/a. But your S/S is giving me credit for low mileage, to the tune of $3000. Are you sure it works like that?

bmcmullin

TDI
2012 Touareg Execline, 2011 Jetta (bought back 6/17)
I fully understand you get penalized for high mileage, which seems to be defined as >24k/a. But your S/S is giving me credit for low mileage, to the tune of $3000. Are you sure it works like that?
As I read the mileage adjustment process in the CBB, it suggests it's only a deduction. If someone can confirm that, I'll update the formula. It would also be helpful to understand the criteria which gets the TDI a "Low" vs "High" value.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Thanks bmcmullin for putting that spreadsheet together.

I've been following the thread, and apologies if it has already been mentioned, but do we have any idea how they would value the cars in terms of the low vs high numbers in the CBB?

For my 6+ year old Jetta, I'd be pretty happy with the buy back value based on the calculation (I'm below 24K km/year). It would be over $17K for the low end CBB value.

Last edited:

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Biggest problem is you are committed to your settlement choice before you get the quote.
Thanks for the reply Armby.

And commitment or opt out must happen before March 1 2017?

And commitment or opt out will happen before the details of the software/hardware fixed are revealed?

Last edited: