Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Hi all,

Just curious to find out if anyone in here has a TDI they originally purchased in the US but later imported to Canada and whether you have contacted VW about the settlement/buyback?

I am in the reverse situation (Canadian VW now in the US) and if you want more info you can read it in my thread on imported TDI's.

I ask because I was recently told that my vehicle is not eligible for the US settlement and that I would have to wait for the Canadian settlement.

The relevant passage in the FTC decision is below.

I am concerned that the same thing will happen as happened with the Goodwill package where VWoA said I wasn't eligible because my car wasn't purchased in the US and VWoC said my car wasn't eligible because it was no longer registered in Canada.

It would seem based on the above passage that if you have a TDI originally purchased in the US that you are indeed eligible. The kicker is the line posted above registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency and whether a provincial DMV counts as an equivalent agency.

Has anyone on here looked in to this?
Hi there. I am in the exact situation you describe (purchased 2010 in US as a US resident, then imported to Canada 2013), but have actually confirmed anything further than putting my VIN into the website and seeing that my car is eligible. Based on past experience regarding warranty issues, I expect to have to spend quite a while on the phone to figure this out (when in fact it is really quite simple). I plan on doing that very soon and will post the outcome.

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
Hi all,

Just curious to find out if anyone in here has a TDI they originally purchased in the US but later imported to Canada and whether you have contacted VW about the settlement/buyback?

I am in the reverse situation (Canadian VW now in the US) and if you want more info you can read it in my thread on imported TDI's.

I ask because I was recently told that my vehicle is not eligible for the US settlement and that I would have to wait for the Canadian settlement.

The relevant passage in the FTC decision is below.

I am concerned that the same thing will happen as happened with the Goodwill package where VWoA said I wasn't eligible because my car wasn't purchased in the US and VWoC said my car wasn't eligible because it was no longer registered in Canada.

It would seem based on the above passage that if you have a TDI originally purchased in the US that you are indeed eligible. The kicker is the line posted above registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency and whether a provincial DMV counts as an equivalent agency.

Has anyone on here looked in to this?
I purchased and registered a 2012 passat se (second hand from non vw dealer) in Canada that was originally purchased and registered in the U.S. after many hours on hold and waiting for call backs from both VWoA and VWoC who originally pointed at each other regarding my inquiries as to the settlement. I finally got VWoC to state that they VWoC would be responsible due to the fact that the vehicle was registered in Canada. For whatever that’s worth, don’t have much faith in them at this point though.

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
I purchased and registered a 2012 passat se (second hand from non vw dealer) in Canada that was originally purchased and registered in the U.S. after many hours on hold and waiting for call backs from both VWoA and VWoC who originally pointed at each other regarding my inquiries as to the settlement. I finally got VWoC to state that they VWoC would be responsible due to the fact that the vehicle was registered in Canada. For whatever that’s worth, don’t have much faith in them at this point though.
I hope you got that in writing. If you pop over to my other thread you will see that I was originally told (in August) by VWoA that my vehicle would be eligible because it was registered in the US. 2 days ago I was told that no in fact my car was not eligible according to this section in the eligibility requirements of the FTC settlement documents.

(2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016; (3) for an Eligible Owner, is currently Operable or ceases to be Operable after the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.
If a similar clause ends up in the VWoC settlement you might be SOL.

chachee

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know what exactly is going to happen on Oct 18th? Will there actually be a court hearing that the public can attend?

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Depending on the outcome there might be a defenestration event ... LOL ... seriously I have no clue whether you can attend or not.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Does anyone know what exactly is going to happen on Oct 18th? Will there actually be a court hearing that the public can attend?
Given the gag order on proceedings... I'm positive it won't be a public event.

Chances are we get a small update... either, no settlement agreed, court process starts in December... or Settlement agreed, announcement in December or similar...

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Chances are we get a small update... either, no settlement agreed, court process starts in December... or Settlement agreed, announcement in December or similar...
I think it says on the website that they can announce a settlement at any time. My two cents are, if it goes to the 18th without a settlement it will go to December.
I have not played a lawyer on TV, but why would the lawyers agree to a settlement before December and miss out on an opportunity to rack up the court costs?

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I myself am no legal expert as well; but like earlier this year, there was supposed to be an announcement made in the spring then all of a sudden it got bumped to mid summer; I highly think that is what is going to happen here. December 18 looking more and more realistic . But who knows ....:confused:

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Interesting, one of the reasons I considered when making my decal design was not to use the VW logo because VW can sue for using their logo without permission. Especially in the land of litigation, I wonder how long these will last before they get hit with a lawsuit. Somehow I doubt VW gave their blessing to use it in this situation lol.
I bought mine today and will show it proudly

and if some paper copies held on by painters tape (on windows) show up on cars in parking lots ..... it wasn't me :D

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
They are waiting for the Us to finalize their agreement on Oct. 18 before they tell us that they are continuing talks again.

Bosnjak

TDI
Jetta 2011
Can somebody help me out? I bought an affected Jetta TDI a couple days ago and am wondering if I will be eligible for anything? Thanks

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Can somebody help me out? I bought an affected Jetta TDI a couple days ago and am wondering if I will be eligible for anything? Thanks
Nobody knows anything for certain because no information has been released in Canada. If the Canadian agreement follows the US version you might be entitled to 50% of the restitution payment if my memory is correct.

Bosnjak

TDI
Jetta 2011
Nobody knows anything for certain because no information has been released in Canada. If the Canadian agreement follows the US version you might be entitled to 50% of the restitution payment if my memory is correct.
Sorry I am new to the situation. So there wasn't any compensation of any form yet for any canadian driver?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
If the Canadian settlement is the same as the US, you'd still be eligible for the buyback/fix option, plus the restitution amount split among the previous sellers since the scandal was announced.

There was a $500 gift card and a $500 dealer card but I think that (Goodwill) program is now closed.
Worth calling VW CARE and demanding your cards. Lots of people in the Canadian TDI Owner facebook group are having success getting the cards recently. VW did a piss poor job of reaching out to affected owners so they are still handing them out even though the window is 'closed' on the website.

Bosnjak

TDI
Jetta 2011
If the Canadian settlement is the same as the US, you'd still be eligible for the buyback/fix option, plus the restitution amount split among the previous sellers since the scandal was announced.
Worth calling VW CARE and demanding your cards. Lots of people in the Canadian TDI Owner facebook group are having success getting the cards recently. VW did a piss poor job of reaching out to affected owners so they are still handing them out even though the window is 'closed' on the website.
Just called. Was told that for the cards it's only for people who owned the vehicle before dec 5th 2015. Other than that, they said we'll see on the 18th of this month.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Just called. Was told that for the cards it's only for people who owned the vehicle before dec 5th 2015. Other than that, they said we'll see on the 18th of this month.
Bummer... Was worth a try though. And nice to see that even their Cx reps are touting the October 18th date.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Some poorly written parts in this article...

In many cases, that will allow owners to replace their used VW with a brand-new vehicle at little or no cost.
Only if the car is fairly new and already paid off. Most owners that I see on Vortex or Facebook that have paid off their 4 or 5 year loans have cars that are not getting a big enough buyback to purchase something new and similar (like a new gas Jetta/Golf/Wagon). If anything, people are getting out of their loans/leases and getting a bit of cash to put down on a brand new car - or they are using that money to buy a car that is similar age/condition and end up not having a payment...

Volkswagen submitted a plan for the fix to regulators in early August, but the U.S. EPA and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) have until October 14 to either approve or reject this solution
This was only for Gen3 engines, NOT Gen1 or 2 - which make up the majority of the affected cars. Also, I believe it only 'stage 1' of the fix was submitted... not stage 2 yet.

11 days for us Canucks though... so here's hoping we get a shred of info from the lawyers after that...

jactdi

TDI
2012 Passat
Any action required?

Late to join and reading through the posts.

Are impacted owners required to join the legal class action suit, or simply wait and all Canadian owners will be treated the same. I registered on the site last fall and rec'd the two X $ 500 cards.

Thanks

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Was just told that any eligible vehicle had to be registered in the US at the time of violation noticed (Sept 2015) to be included. So looks like anyone who may have exported prior to that is not covered under the US settlement. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but I just can't be bothered spending hours on the phone talking circles with these people (already did enough of that RE warranty issues). Now, this may change on Oct 18 if that particular aspect gets brought up, but I can't see that being a sticking point for the gov.

I was also given the number for the class action suit to speak to a lawyer who might be able to explain the legal grounds for all this.

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
Was just told that any eligible vehicle had to be registered in the US at the time of violation noticed (Sept 2015) to be included. So looks like anyone who may have exported prior to that is not covered under the US settlement. This makes absolutely no sense to me, but I just can't be bothered spending hours on the phone talking circles with these people (already did enough of that RE warranty issues). Now, this may change on Oct 18 if that particular aspect gets brought up, but I can't see that being a sticking point for the gov.

I was also given the number for the class action suit to speak to a lawyer who might be able to explain the legal grounds for all this.
This makes very little sense to me as well but is about all I could get out of them. What bothers me is that I was told that it would have had to be registered in the US prior to June 28th 2016 (the date they announced the settlement). How were owners supposed to know they had to make sure their vehicles were registered in the US if VW didn't inform them.

What makes even less sense is that in my case (Canadian VW imported to US) I had to show that my car was EPA compliant in order to even be allowed to legally import it. So they are refusing to do anything about my car (they won't even tell me that they will fix it if a fix is approved) and yet it would not have been possible for me to import my car in the first place if they had been honest about their emissions.

I spoke to the US lawyer (I suspect the same number you were given) and they told me that really my only recourse was to launch my own lawsuit. I have yet to be able to get the Canadian law firm to return my emails but you might try them as well to ask about your situation. Stutts Strosberg is the firm.