Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Not Happy With VW

TDI
Jetta TDI
I guess it's time to tell the courts how crappy this settlement is for Canadians and does not mirror the US settlement at all.

If I was in the US I would have gotten $21 500 USD
In Canada will get at worst case $ 14038 and best case $15813 CAD

At today's exchange rate $15813 = $ 11785.44 USD

WOW, VW is generous and exceptional.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I guess it's time to tell the courts how crappy this settlement is for Canadians and does not mirror the US settlement at all.

Unless you are privy to more info than is available on the settlement site I don't know how you figured that out. However if based on your analysis to-date you would like to sell me your TDI I might take you up based on that price. Although first I need to actually do my due diligence on the settlement.

We don't know what the CBB sept 2015 values (vs todays values) are and we don't know what the wholesale CBB values vs the trade-in values are.

big_red

TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI
From the settlement agreement:

Vehicle Value means an Eligible Vehicle’s CBB Wholesale Value on September 18, 2015, as regionally adjusted by CBB, based upon the applicable CBB Wholesale Category.
So until they publish the numbers, we have no way of looking up the value. The value the CBB website gives you now is current value, so will be significantly lower than the settlement value.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I would be somewhat ironic, considering your alias, to think that you'd be happy with the settlement. US is a different market and different legal animal, to compare these two is just a wrong start.

When you let the court know, keep in mind, that that this settlement might be crappy for you personally, many other Canadians will be happy or OK with it.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
It will be a tense two months next year:

"There is one exception: if your vehicle is totalled between January 4, 2017 and the opt-out deadline on March 4, 2017, you are excluded from the Settlement and retain your rights and claims against Volkswagen."

TDI2017

Banned
TDI
2014 Golf
There is a simple way to ensure that future civil settlements in Canada are the same as the US.

Ditch the maple leaf, the loonie, Mounties and government healthcare and get on your knees and beg Uncle Sam to let you in the club.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta

If you were in the UK you would have received nothing, so be happy.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
this is bull****. they get 10grand equivalent and we get 7 if we chose to keep the car.. that's IF they find a fix.. if they don't then we don't get the money.. how do we jump in on the class action maybe we can get more money that way?

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
out in the cold

If you were in the UK you would have received nothing, so be happy.
or if you purchased a U.S. car imported into Canada you would also be S.O.L.

from U.S. settlement eligibility docs:

Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.

it was not!

from Canadian settlement eligibility docs:

It must have been originally sold, or leased
from VW Credit Canada, Inc., also known
as Volkswagen Finance and Audi
Finance (“VCCI”), in Canada;

it was not!

Last edited:

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Just think of all those underprivileged Brits saying "if only I was in Canada eh" lol...

TDI2017

Banned
TDI
2014 Golf
That does blow.

A cautionary tale for cross border shoppers indeed. We imported a vehicle (not a VW tdi) into the US from Canada but it was part of a move.

or if you purchased a U.S. car imported into Canada you would also be S.O.L.

from U.S. settlement eligibility docs:

Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.

it was not!

from Canadian settlement eligibility docs:

It must have been originally sold, or leased
from VW Credit Canada, Inc., also known
as Volkswagen Finance and Audi
Finance (“VCCI”), in Canada;

it was not!

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
S.o.l.

I didn't import it, it was imported by others. I doubt anyone on here could of predicted this fiasco would have happened.

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
It will be a tense two months next year:

"There is one exception: if your vehicle is totalled between January 4, 2017 and the opt-out deadline on March 4, 2017, you are excluded from the Settlement and retain your rights and claims against Volkswagen."

Yup, if that stands true the VW will be parked and we'll use the truck/rent something if my parents need to go somewhere

norcorider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI (Buyback completed Dec 21st)
I have 2013 Passat TDI imported from US to Canada. When I do vin lookup, it says ineligible. :(

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
warranty

Yes this VW situation is unique but cross-border warranty finger pointing issues are not...they happen ALL the time. Often leave the owner out of pocket.
U.S. dealership honoured the warranty to replace the blown turbo and resultant dpf mess as well as the hpfp issue no questions asked. I purchased a warranty from the non vw dealer that I bought it from which paid for towing to and fro watertown N.Y

TDI2017

Banned
TDI
2014 Golf
Soooo...because a non-OEM auto warranty was honored, an import should be treated the same vis-a-vis the settlement? I guess you could bring that up when you hire a lawyer to sue VW...not gonna cut it as precedent though.

U.S. dealership honoured the warranty to replace the blown turbo and resultant dpf mess as well as the hpfp issue no questions asked. I purchased a warranty from the non vw dealer that I bought it from which paid for towing to and fro watertown N.Y

norcorider

TDI
enter it into the U.S. site look-up mine says eligible but that's not the only criteria you have to meet unfortunately.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
Yes, but during US settlement they told me that I will be part of Canadian settlement.
I called customer care, they said I am not eligible for Canadian settlement either and only option I have is to either opt-out or object the settlement. *** :mad:

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
not sueing

Soooo...because a non-OEM auto warranty was honored, an import should be treated the same vis-a-vis the settlement? I guess you could bring that up when you hire a lawyer to sue VW...not gonna cut it as precedent though.
I think your missing the point here I'm not going to sue anyone all I'm stating is VoA honoured their warranty and fixed my car all I had to do was tow it to a U.S. dealer which was paid for by my non-VW dealer warranty. I had no intention of getting rid of the car via the buyback. I don't have to get a "fix" either.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Sorry gents but I'm a little late to the party, I didn't see any mention of leased vehicles. My apologies if it has been mentioned. Will they follow suit and do as the U.S. settlement ? Early lease termination without penalty and some compensation ? This was my understanding for our American friends.

Thanks in advance

Reactorface

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 Technik
on hold

Yes, but during US settlement they told me that I will be part of Canadian settlement.
I called customer care, they said I am not eligible for Canadian settlement either and only option I have is to either opt-out or object the settlement. *** :mad:
you can't opt out of something you are not in.
I was told the same thing. spent hours on the phone on hold with both sides.

norcorider

TDI
you can't opt out of something you are not in.
I was told the same thing. spent hours on the phone on hold with both sides.
Thanks, makes sense. I guess the only option is to object. I was told that the matter has been escalated and I will get a call back in 5 business days. Let see.

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
I purchased my 2013 Passat TDI on September 19th but I would really prefer the buyback and do not want to keep the car. Anyone chance of getting VW to buyback a car that was purchased 1 day past the Sept 18th date - September 19th?

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
I was hoping for more than $20,000. Seems 2.1 billion divided among 105000 cars is all we get. So the the $5100 +/- is the payout for loss and that makes the car worth less than $15,000. My 2012 has less than 100000 kms I figure it should be worth more than $15k.
I am dreaming or what?

Canadian Black book price yea right it will depend on what some used car dealer thinks it's worth hahaha somewhere between $6689 and $21384 crap a big spread my TDi has never seen winter.

Last edited:

Not Happy With VW

TDI
Jetta TDI
Unless you are privy to more info than is available on the settlement site I don't know how you figured that out. However if based on your analysis to-date you would like to sell me your TDI I might take you up based on that price. Although first I need to actually do my due diligence on the settlement.
We don't know what the CBB sept 2015 values (vs todays values) are and we don't know what the wholesale CBB values vs the trade-in values are.
Let me know when you want to give me $ 15 800 for it and it's yours