Dieselgate for tuned cars

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Has anyone seen any specific info on how mods like dpf/egr delete and a tune would impact the VW buyback?

This seems like a better place for that discussion than the emissions forum.

Thanks

gnuworldorder

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
im on the flipside, the 2015 golf buyback prices are a ****ing joke. with 7k+ i could get it fixed, and get egr /dpf delete, straight pipes, and a GTB2056VK assuming the dsg wont shred itself

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I'm being told that any payment will be contingent upon VW either buying back the car (to make it compliant) or fixing the car to make it compliant. The payout will be minus he cost of any "repairs' needed - "reverse delete" for example. So tuned guys simply go back to stock, but if you have a delete it needs to be reversed or VW will take the cost of the dpf and other parts out of the total.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it does make sense.

Anyone have a cheap cr140 turbo/dpf/NOx catalyst? At the time of going to stage 3 I couldn't imagine a scenario in which I'd have to revert to stock. Oh well.

Last edited:

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
I don't think VW will ever get a fix for Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars. From the press conference today at DOJ it sounded like they need to be crushed if they can't be fixed. So where's that put us? If they aren't fixing them why deduct an amount to bring them back to stock?

I have a stage 2 Malone tuned car wanting to do the buyback. I do still have my DPF, but it's cracked and I'm missing a few sensors. At this point if I have to go back to stock I don't think it'll be worth it for me because I'm at 172,000 miles on my 2010. I have DPF/EGR deleted and EGR Cooler bypassed and I just did the TB and WP a couple months ago.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I suspect that VW will be on the lookout for any excuse to not pay the full amount for any buyback car (tuned or not), in the same way they look for any excuse to not honor warranties. They will also be looking for reasons to pay out less to us. It is called "business" and it always seems to work this way. It could be a tune or it could be emissions deletes or it could be paint chips or bald tires. They will try and see if they can get away with it.

Have Fun!

Don

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I'm not so sure what to do. Tuned ECU, tuned DSG box, full deletes, sold the DPF and some EGR parts... From the tables, I'll get back around $10k more than I owe/bought it for, especially for the mileage.

I could remove most of the mod parts and sell them, but I'd still need a DPF to go back in. Hmm. Fix it, yeah right.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think I'm going to hang on to my car. I really enjoy it, have fixed most all the weak links, and cringe at the thought of it being crushed. Plus it should be almost exotic in a couple years when most all the other cr tdi's have gone away. If they want to give me some cash for a fix that never materializes, I'm cool with that.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
Crushed??? Dude, these cars will simply be resold for a decent amount to another country that doesn't care about emissions... either way, VAG will reclaim $$$ somewhere in this world.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Crushed??? Dude, these cars will simply be resold for a decent amount to another country that doesn't care about emissions... either way, VAG will reclaim $$$ somewhere in this world.
incorrect, the documents clearly state the cars cannot be exported.. they will be destroyed.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The press conference stated that bought back cars must be fixed or recycled. They can't just get resold somewhere else without getting fixed.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I suspect that VW will be on the lookout for any excuse to not pay the full amount for any buyback car (tuned or not), in the same way they look for any excuse to not honor warranties. They will also be looking for reasons to pay out less to us. It is called "business" and it always seems to work this way. It could be a tune or it could be emissions deletes or it could be paint chips or bald tires. They will try and see if they can get away with it.

Have Fun!

Don
I don't think this will be the case. There's no mention in the buyback tables of any sort of correction for "vehicle condition" - or even whether it's in running order. Here's the model, here's the age, here's some small adjustments for optional equipment, here's the the mileage => here's the amount to be paid out. It may be different if someone chooses a "fix" but I think it's a fair assumption that with the possible exception of the EA288 cars (2015 model year), there ain't gonna be a "fix".

If VW plays games with this then the government is going to come down hard on them.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it does make sense.

Anyone have a cheap cr140 turbo/dpf/NOx catalyst? At the time of going to stage 3 I couldn't imagine a scenario in which I'd have to revert to stock. Oh well.
Yes, yes, and yes. And here I listed my CR140 Turbo in the For Sale subforum with no takers back in December.

I've figured the cost of reverting back to stock, and then reinstalling my upgrades would be around $3000-3500 in labor, so to me, it's not worth it, not to mention time wasted waiting for the car to be done.

I actually posted another thread a while back in this subforum asking others with power upgrades if they would do a buyback.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I think I'm going to hang on to my car. I really enjoy it, have fixed most all the weak links, and cringe at the thought of it being crushed. Plus it should be almost exotic in a couple years when most all the other cr tdi's have gone away. If they want to give me some cash for a fix that never materializes, I'm cool with that.
You and me both!

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I tow with mine 80% of the time, so what exactly am I supposed to replace my TDI with? a pickup truck?.. tha'll be great for the environment getting 18mpg pulling the same load I now get 40mpg with.. im going to need a 6cyl gasser minimum to drag this thing through the mountains with anything resembling the ease I manage now.. A 4cyl gas golf I would just be beating to hell.. Ive got a boosted vr6 that could do it, at a miserable MPG.
I just got the chiptune, still have all the exhaust components still and there are no recall checks for registration.. was waiting to see what the emissions testing was like since I am stlll exempt and never gone through the diesel route, which is all 3rd party testing.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I came here looking for this very thing.
Ive got a cr170 turbo with a malone stage 3.5 tune, buzzken 3", straighpipe TBE and a malone DSG tune.
Thankfully I kept all of my emission bs. So Im just gonna throw it back on and get the "fix" done. Then bring home and re-delete everything.
I wonder if I can talk my way out of getting the "fix" done and just take the compensation. That way I wont have to go through the hassel of putting **** back.

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Guys, need some input from you.

I have an 09 Jetta I inherited from my mom. I have had it a year and at 55k now. Driving 20k per year. She did scheduled maintenance and I did the full 40k service, including dsg, myself last November.

I like the car and is nicer than the Scion xB I drove for the previous 10 years. But I do haul my twin 13 yr old, nearly 6ft, boys home from school each day. Compared to the box there is less interior room, especially rear leg room. I was getting 30 mpg in the box and only getting 33 on the tdi because vcds says my fuel flow rate is high but not enough out of spec to throw codes.

I need something reliable to last 5 more years to get my kids out of high school.

From what I gather, the top 3 tdi issues for me will be hpfp, dpf and turbo.

In service date was March 09 so I am still covered by the extended hpfp warranty a couple more years as I won't hit mileage limit on it either. But I will be exposed for two of my five year plan.

I am in Florida so no inspection and I am not opposed to a dpf delete.

Turbo failure is not something I have read as much about.

So, several questions...keep or sell?

If keep, what would repair cost of the hpfp be and how much would 2 micron mitigate those costs?

Madness.....if you don't mind telling, what did all those upgrades cost?

And are those costs worth doing as preventative or just wait until necessary?

Any other opinions or feedback appreciated.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
how does crushing these cars help the environment? maybe wxman will come along with one of his charts comparing crushing and building new vehicles vs letting them live out their natural lives as they are.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Does the off-topic stuff have to bleed over into this forum as well?

I specifically asked if anyone has info on a buyback of a car with a tune and/or delete. Please post anything you have on THAT topic.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Does the off-topic stuff have to bleed over into this forum as well?

I specifically asked if anyone has info on a buyback of a car with a tune and/or delete. Please post anything you have on THAT topic.
If you are opting for a buy back then have no worries, if you have your original exhaust you could put it back on and sell the delete kit to one of us intending on keeping the car.. if you dont, VW will still take the car, it dont matter what you've done mod wise as the cars wont be able to be resold, so if you return it in a modified state that is fine.. they cant stop you from modifying.

the only problem is for us whom have to take the fix to get the cash, if it does come it will likely require a stock exhaust system and a ecu flash, which will basically mean reverting hardware to stock and then likely paying a shop fee to get the aftermarket tune re-applied... potentially your tuner may charge extra depending on if a new tune has to be developed to compensate for the fixes, but most wont charge to restore software you already purchased for a specific vehicle.

if you are going to keep the car and try to get the cash, best to have your stock hardware restored and then hope you can revert it to its pre-fix state without too much effort and expense.

Last edited:

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Why....it didn't "function" anyway.....that's what got VW in the hot water they're in now.... :D
Lol. Right but if they have to replace it, they take that out of your compensation.

SuperDaveAPK, bout $2500.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
If you are opting for a buy back then have no worries, if you have your original exhaust you could put it back on and sell the delete kit to one of us intending on keeping the car.. if you dont, VW will still take the car, it dont matter what you've done mod wise as the cars wont be able to be resold, so if you return it in a modified state that is fine.. they cant stop you from modifying.

the only problem is for us whom have to take the fix to get the cash, if it does come it will likely require a stock exhaust system and a ecu flash, which will basically mean reverting hardware to stock and then likely paying a shop fee to get the aftermarket tune re-applied... potentially your tuner may charge extra depending on if a new tune has to be developed to compensate for the fixes, but most wont charge to restore software you already purchased for a specific vehicle.

if you are going to keep the car and try to get the cash, best to have your stock hardware restored and then hope you can revert it to its pre-fix state without too much effort and expense.

Thanks for the info.. have any references on the part about buyback being less strict with mods? Or are you assuming that's how they'll be?

If I did have to revert the plan was to find turbo/dpf/nox in good enough state, swap everything, then sell the rawtek exhaust and HPEGR delete on here.

For the record I did talk to Malone... they said they can put back to stock mapping. VW will be able to tell it has been flashed, but it won't be tuned at that point so I can't see why they'd care.

Newbie21

TDI
2013 golf wagon
Wonder if they will accept if I return the my car with my factory dpf and egr in my trunk. At least I helped them out cause taking the factory dpf out is a *****. Lol