Diesel without electricity?

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
I was wondering if anyone else thought one day, of a TDI that don't need any electricity to function. It would be something that could survive an electromagnetic storm and it would still be driveable in case there's a UFO disabling every electrical system. It would probably be something like a TDI-M (mechanical TDI), but I was wondering how hard it would be to do that? In order to have something free of electricity, we would have to remove the ECU completly. The only electrical thing remaining would be the starter, but I guess you could try to start it by compression in case your starter is not working.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
W/o the electronics...wouldn't it be slow, smokey, polluting and noisy? Take a look at the 1.6TDs.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You would have to change the injection pump.

Or just get an old 1.6l or 1.9l IDI. There are more of them up north by you then here in the states.

-Jason

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
An old rotary injection pump type TDI could work just fine without all the electronics but wouldn't be as efficient . But would be fast & rather loud @ idle . Mechanical injection IDIs are much quieter than a mechanically controlled direct injection engine . IDIs are also slow compared to a DI engine because IDI engine loose 30 % power & 30-40 % efficiency compared to Direct injection engines like the TDI .

There are a few people out that there have taken TDIs and installed 1.9 L IDI Eco-diesel pumps on / they ran well but were loud & smoked a bit more . They did this to make a transplant easier .

Oh yeah you couldn't sneak up on someone in one;) :) :D :p

Last edited:

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
It would be rather difficult, if not impossible, to put together a mechanically controlled deisel that meets today's emission standards. You'd have an easier time taking an electricly controlled engine and then radiation hardening the setup.

Mechanical driven systems just don't give the flexability to account for all the different conditions an engine will operate under in these vehicles.

bakerinva

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 "Special Edition" Jetta TDI
I have driven two diesels with no electrical power. Did it with my '79 Rabbit and '91 Jetta...but as everyone stated were the 1.6L, not the TDIs. In terms of starting, who needs a starter! Park on a hill and pop the clutch, diesels are so easy to to start in that fashion. My Rabbit that is how I started it 95% of the time. It is possible, but as everyone stated, probably don't want to do it with the newer TDIs.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
There is a mechanical TDI motor (direct mechanical diesel injection--no electronics), that some have used for conversions of the old 1.6 L diesels. It won't meet current emissions standards, but in an old 1980 chassis, it should not be an issue.

--Nate

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
Ok, thanks for your answer. It was just for curiosity as I have yet to see any UFO over my house hehe. I'm not paranoid enough to fear them so much and I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat either lol. By the way, was there any electric vacuum pump on the old 1.6L diesels? Because, then we can't say that there was no electrical power.

Last edited:

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
The vacuum pump on my 85 is mechanical, however the fuel cutoff switch on the injection pump is electrical but it can be hotwired with a small 9v battery.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
ecodean said:
The vacuum pump on my 85 is mechanical, however the fuel cutoff switch on the injection pump is electrical but it can be hotwired with a small 9v battery.
or a flashlight with 2 cells tied together when the battery was dead :D , that switch worked well to kill the engine when he stopped . Had a friend do that for the entire summer one year in his Rabbit that had a dead battery . Always looking for the hill to park on ;) , or a friend to push while he popped the clutch . Couldn't waste beer money on a new battery :D

donsdiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Silver
Actually the diesels that preceeded the current electronic versions could be started by pushing and needed no battery whatsoever. I am refering to the older Mercedes. Any of the rotery pump models needed power for the cut off switch. These engines were much simpler, although louder and smoked some. We do pay a price for the new computer driven engines.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
If we were to suffer an electromagnetic storm or pulse that would wipe out all electrical systems, I would think that whether or not a TDI would meet emission standards would be the least of our worries. :eek:

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
I plan on using the local bike trail to escape to a remote undisclosed location stocked with supplies. LOL

the most common reason to switch to a mechanical injector pump would be to get rid of all the constant problems with the electronics and computer systems.