Diesel shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Wonder if one of those “rocket” stoves would work for you, virtually no smoke with those units
unrestricted draft in any stove will do that
but you also run into it possibly ejecting far more heat out the flue than it radiates into the room, to the point that you're better off leaving a window open than running the wood stove, because at least you don't need to feed the window

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Wonder if one of those “rocket” stoves would work for you, virtually no smoke with those units
Doubt it. They are hyper sensitive to smoke. The forest fires more than 100 miles away from us got to them severely. Fortunately the rain finally came and cleaned our air. It was really bad around Seattle for several weeks this year. We've had the same thing the past few years, and many of those fires were in British Columbia or south Oregon/northern California.

Last edited:

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I'm just hoping nothing major on my MK VII breaks while prices are like this. Going to be hard to convince the wife to keep it considering I only drive about 10 miles to work.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
On the east coast we had to endure the pipeline shut down for gasoline awhile back .... Not fun times worrying about not being able to drive around etc...

While it was tough , it was somewhat localized .... well east coast mainly at least .... I remember having to drive about 100 mile out (luckily I am a courier so at least the trip was a paid trip) to mom and pop stations in the boonies to fill up the (12) 5 gallon jugs I was lugging around in the passenger compartment of the wagon .... Definitely NO smoking!!

As time went on, even the more obscure gas stations out in the coountry ran out of gasoline (fortunately Diesel was still relatively easy to get then .... thank goodness for the TDI !).

We got to within a day or 2 of running out of gasoline for the drivers that were helping us do deliveries ( I actually got very busy doing deliveries since all the other drivers at the courier company I was working for either ran out of fuel or refused to go out for fear of not having or being able to find enough gasoline to be able to make it back home ....

Visions of Mad Max and the Road Warrior filled my head.

Anyways, THAT was with gasoline being short ...... I can only imagine how bad it would be if it was Diesel that was running out (no big trucks running means lots of stuff being short ... including gasoline .... Thank god we still have about a few years worth of toilet paper left from the Pandemic! Ha

I'm thinking IF we really start getting that bad off with Diesel shortages we had better start contemplating, rescuing our fellow Americans who are being held by the Nazis in Saudi Arabia ... Once we get our troops there we could start setting up voting booths to give them the opportunity to allow them to be annexed by America .... After that we should be set for oil for awhile ;-)

On the other hand , and to minimize any potential backlash from the above from the other super powers IF that's a concern .....
Maybe we can let Russia have Ukraine , China Take Taiwan , then we can justify us simply taking Saudi Arabia .....

In any event we can NOT afford to run out of Diesel fuel .... Other than the above solutions , I don't see much more we can reasonably do.... Any Ideas?

Andrew

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm thinking IF we really start getting that bad off with Diesel shortages we had better start contemplating, rescuing our fellow Americans who are being held by the Nazis in Saudi Arabia ... Once we get our troops there we could start setting up voting booths to give them the opportunity to allow them to be annexed by America .... After that we should be set for oil for awhile ;-)

On the other hand , and to minimize any potential backlash from the above from the other super powers IF that's a concern .....
Maybe we can let Russia have Ukraine , China Take Taiwan , then we can justify us simply taking Saudi Arabia .....
hahaha

just annex canada
like they did in the fallout videogame 'verse :p

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Last edited:

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Use less Diesel.

Embark on mass electrification that would put the war buildup in the 1930s and 40s to shame. Require 'shore power' be provided at truck stops and ban idling trucks. Add cantilever power for trains and uphill sections for trucks. The only real solution is to break our dependency.
They have to be reasonable solutions.

While some of those may be obtainable they aren't affordable. You think transportation costs are high now.....

We have the answer already that could provide a stop gap until other technologies and infrastructure mature. Diesel electric. It is a reliable, affordable technology that utilizes an infrastructure that's been in place for 100 years. Semi trucks. Large construction equipment that burn100 gallons per day. Buses. Marine power. Fuel consumption is literally halved or more (its been proven) in these configurations. BEV technology is a farce in its current state in all but the smallest vehicles. We're being pushed backwards.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Thread Crap engaged, post #36.
LOL..... really? So $100s of Billions of government spending on bombs and bullets... and selling out democracy...

Is preferable to a little infrastructure spending???

Use less Diesel.

Embark on mass electrification that would put the war buildup in the 1930s and 40s to shame. Require 'shore power' be provided at truck stops and ban idling trucks. Add cantilever power for trains and uphill sections for trucks. The only real solution is to break our dependency.
Gonna be a lot cheaper to find ways to use a gallon less diesel than to get a gallon more. Maybe not as ideologically satisfying to everyone... but cheaper.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
The shortage is starting to show its tail in my area... atleast i think. Diesel jumped nearly 70 cents over night (at one station), $6.7 atm

Thankfully some other stations havent gotten their fuel trucks yet so I am going to go snag some <$6 diesel for my TDI while i can

Not fun times! And I'll be damned if I just throw in the towel, sell the TDI, and buy an EV. TDI isnt going anywhere until its wheels fly off it on the highway

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh no, Greta changed my opinion for sure. In the exact opposite way that was clearly intended. Zealots be damned, you won't indoctrinate me.
So yes to war and no to infrastructure? Really? Which service are you enlisting into?

I already did my 8…. learned my lesson on being overly dependent on petroleum the hard way.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just wonder, if this is the only web site he craps on, or does he troll a bunch of others? I certainly don't troll the EV fanboy places, don't really care to. I have no problem with other people doing other things that they like.

But once his high electric horse graces itself with its presence in ANY thread here, it's done.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Gonna be a lot cheaper to find ways to use a gallon less diesel than to get a gallon more. Maybe not as ideologically satisfying to everyone... but cheaper.
Ahem, diesel electric does just that.

Your comment on spending "a little on infrastructure" misses the reality mark by.... more than a little.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Ahem, diesel electric does just that.

Your comment on spending "a little on infrastructure" misses the reality mark by.... more than a little.
Diesel electric for heavy applications. Diesel plug in hybrid for commuter cars..... If only someone made a proof of concept of such technology for commuter / lightweight vehicles..... OH WAIT! VW did and no one seemed to care. Even now no one talks about the VW XL1.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Or you know, 'no' to both because we already spent all the money already.
The same was true in 1938. If I recall my history correctly the previous 10 years weren’t exactly known for their economic prosperity. We ‘found’ more money then and it worked out great. Why not learn from history? :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The same was true in 1938. If I recall my history correctly the previous 10 years weren’t exactly known for their economic prosperity. We ‘found’ more money then and it worked out great. Why not learn from history? :)
dunno man, free money has an enormous societal cost to it
just look at where we were at in '38 and try to link it to anything other than central banking doing what it does best and giving out stupid amounts of money to people that had no business spending it

ETA: because iirc a couple decades before that we set up the third iteration of the US central bank, both previous tries failed spectacularly, but that was far enough in the past at that point that people had forgotten the results and so we tried it again

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
dunno man, free money has an enormous societal cost to it
Yeah…. when you have more money chasing a limited supply of diesel. This is using more money to decrease dependence on diesel.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I like diesel, but currently drive an EV. But I’m going back to a PHEV, because EVs aren’t quite there yet, at least at an affordable price.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I hate to burst your bubble, nwdiver, but folks are finally figuring out that (a) EVs that automakers are currently producing are both way too expensive for most consumers and not practical for that audience, either; (b) EVs have little, if any, beneficial impact on the environment; and (c) a wholesale movement of the automotive fleet to EVs is not going to happen.

EVs will be around, but as a niche product. Toyota, the worlds largest automaker, has announced it's is going to continue to produce ICE vehicles for the foreseeable future. Why? Because that's what customers want and will buy. And they are a profit making enterprise.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I hate to burst your bubble, nwdiver, but folks are finally figuring out that (a) EVs that automakers are currently producing are both way too expensive for most consumers and not practical for that audience, either; (b) EVs have little, if any, beneficial impact on the environment; and (c) a wholesale movement of the automotive fleet to EVs is not going to happen.

EVs will be around, but as a niche product. Toyota, the worlds largest automaker, has announced it's is going to continue to produce ICE vehicles for the foreseeable future. Why? Because that's what customers want and will buy. And they are a profit making enterprise.
Reality disagrees. (a, b &c )The TCO and environmental cost is lower with EVs after < 5 years. It’ll be interesting to see how Toyota sells into a niche ICE market as it’s increasingly banned.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Reality disagrees. (a, b &c )The TCO and environmental cost is lower with EVs after < 5 years. It’ll be interesting to see how Toyota sells into a niche ICE market as it’s increasingly banned.
Lower TCO? Maybe, but only because it's heavily subsidized.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Lower TCO? Maybe, but only because it's heavily subsidized.
LOL! Who do you think paid my salary when I was protecting your supply of diesel in the gulf? How is that not a subsidy?

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
LOL! Who do you think paid my salary when I was protecting your supply of diesel in the gulf? How is that not a subsidy?
Your gonna have to get more specific than that.
If you are insinuating that our military involvement in another country is somehow equivalent to an oil subsidy your beyond left field - you're in the bleachers. The USA could shut the spigot off and go full stupid (electric) tomorrow and we will still be meddling in other countries buisiness. The world will always depend on oil whether it's for a fuel or plastics, asphalt, feedstock, or lubricants, etc. 2nd and 3rd world countries will probably use it as a fuel for the next 50+ years which means there will be wars over it which means we will have our nose in it.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Your gonna have to get more specific than that.
If you are insinuating that our military involvement in another country is somehow equivalent to an oil subsidy your beyond left field - you're in the bleachers. The USA could shut the spigot off and go full stupid (electric) tomorrow and we will still be meddling in other countries buisiness. The world will always depend on oil whether it's for a fuel or plastics, asphalt, feedstock, or lubricants, etc. 2nd and 3rd world countries will probably use it as a fuel for the next 50+ years which means there will be wars over it which means we will have our nose in it.
Um…. what? …. our use of oil for non-energy items is ~half. If we reduced our consumption by ~50% we could get ~100% of our supply domestically or from democratic states like Norway and ~0% from murderous autocrats like Putin and MBS.

I don’t have a problem with using oil. I have a problem with the fact that we use such an insane amount that some people are apparently willing to commit mass murder (war) to save a few bucks on their next fix.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I don’t have a problem with using oil. I have a problem with the fact that we use such an insane amount that some people are apparently willing to commit mass murder (war) to save a few bucks on their next fix.
I don't believe a word.
You DO have a problem using oil. Iraq war was not to save a few bucks. It was to stop Saddam from controlling the world oil market. If we wanted the oil for the money spent on military we could have had it for much less on the open market.

Besides, our obsession with SUV's is also insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.