Diesel Purge on Common Rail?

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
58K. I know that its probably premature/unnecessary to be doing this, and quite honestly, having come from the 1.8T gasser, I tend to look for things to do with this TDI. I appreciate your concern and knowledge sincerely.

In any event, it is done. I set it up with feed line (with $2 inline filter) and return of 5/16 vinyl tubing connected with brass connectors to the stock fuel lines pulled off of the fuel filter housing, and a foot of fuel hose looped back around connecting the open fuel canister ports so I didn't have to pull any fuses to the pump. I also primed the feed tubing with the DP with a small kitchen funnel prior to connecting to minimize any air space. Everything went very smoothly. Didn't notice any change in engine noise, and it took about 30 mins to suck up the DP (which smells like diesel) with a few occasional revs. I let it go until there was about half a cup left in the receptacle and then I reconnected everything and poured what was left in the gas tank.
After, engine started right up, and I drove around for 20 min to check it out. I can't quantify anything, and I wasn't having any problems before, but the engine does seem to rev up faster than before. Could be placebo in part, but it seems smoother. Anyway, if I'm the first CR here to attempt this, all I can say is that in my experience, the procedure went as smooth as I could have hoped, and I'll do it again. Your experience may vary.
I.D. or O.D.?

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
I will be performing Fuel Filter change on my 2010 Golf and was planning to fill canister with DP. That’s what I have always done on my ALH. I know it's recommended to prime system but has anyone filled canister prior to priming?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I will be performing Fuel Filter change on my 2010 Golf and was planning to fill canister with DP. That’s what I have always done on my ALH. I know it's recommended to prime system but has anyone filled canister prior to priming?
Some members here (without VCDS) fill the canister instead of priming and it doesn't seem to cause any immediate problems. It is not the recommended method and nobody really knows if it might do any long term damage. However, I see absolutely no possible issues with filling the canister before priming. It probably can't hurt as long as DP is sufficiently lubricious.

Have Fun!

Don

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
If one were to read the ingredient list on DP thy would find;

Ingredients are: 65% Diesel Fuel, approx. 25% Ethylhexyl nitrate, approx. 8% Petroleum Distilate, and approx. 1% 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi, has anyone done this on a 1.6TDI CR Engine? The setup from my fuel filter appears to be a little different! Thanks.

Last edited: