Diesel price...

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Its gotten to the point where the 20 minute drive out to the rez is worth it over spending an extra $20 in fuel. Usually costs me like $89 max from empty on the rez where in the city its around $105-120.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Still rez or no rez these prices are insane!

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I love my TDI, and it's a fun car to drive. But, when will I get to the point and say **** it, it's not worth owning a diesel car anymore; deleted or intact.

Golf R on premium fuel is probably cheaper to operate than a TDI at this point, am I not wrong?

Im just rambling, and clearly that I'm frustrated.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I love my TDI, and it's a fun car to drive. But, when will I get to the point and say **** it, it's not worth owning a diesel car anymore; deleted or intact.

Golf R on premium fuel is probably cheaper to operate than a TDI at this point, am I not wrong?

Im just rambling, and clearly that I'm frustrated.
A car averaging around 8.7L/100km running regular gas will cost the same as a tdi averaging 6.5L/100km, with RUG being 1.50 per liter and diesel 2.00 per liter

Given most newer gas cars of equivalent engine size can average well below 8.7L/100km, on average, a diesel car has become more expensive to run if the spread stays as it currently is.

Even at 5.5L/100km on average, or better, which a newer CR can only do driving purely highway or rural roads, an equivalent gasser needs to average around 7.3L/100km, which is still doable... in my opinion, diesels aren't worth it anymore, nor have they been for a long time.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I feel like it all depends on what your traveling is like. For me, Im doing 1100km roughly a week so a gas car wouldnt really make much sense for me. I fill up once a week roughly around $70-85. Im avg around 4.5-4.8L/100km and thats 95% highway driving. Ive stopped filling up at name brand stations unless I absolutely need to.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
A car averaging around 8.7L/100km running regular gas will cost the same as a tdi averaging 6.5L/100km, with RUG being 1.50 per liter and diesel 2.00 per liter

Given most newer gas cars of equivalent engine size can average well below 8.7L/100km, on average, a diesel car has become more expensive to run if the spread stays as it currently is.

Even at 5.5L/100km on average, or better, which a newer CR can only do driving purely highway or rural roads, an equivalent gasser needs to average around 7.3L/100km, which is still doable... in my opinion, diesels aren't worth it anymore, nor have they been for a long time.
Oh? My ALH is definitely worth it at an average of less than 5L/100km... Diesels are in my opinion FAR from being “not worth it”. I mean heck, they last longer, are more efficient, have more torque, and are also safer in a wreck, I guess if you like driving around with highly explosive gas that’s liable to blow you to pieces at the slightest provocation I guess you can, but diesel isn’t going to just light up like that. Also it lasts longer than gas in storage.
I think I’ll keep my old diesels, thanks.

I have no use for all the new electronic crap and DEF systems though.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I feel like it all depends on what your traveling is like. For me, Im doing 1100km roughly a week so a gas car wouldnt really make much sense for me. I fill up once a week roughly around $70-85. Im avg around 4.5-4.8L/100km and thats 95% highway driving. Ive stopped filling up at name brand stations unless I absolutely need to.
It doesn't matter how much you drive, if the spread of diesel is significantly higher then regular gas then an equivalent gasser that averages x liters per hundred will cost the same to run for a diesel that averages y liters per hundred... I've done some simple math for you in my previous post

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Oh? My ALH is definitely worth it at an average of less than 5L/100km... Diesels are in my opinion FAR from being “not worth it”. I mean heck, they last longer, are more efficient, have more torque, and are also safer in a wreck, I guess if you like driving around with highly explosive gas that’s liable to blow you to pieces at the slightest provocation I guess you can, but diesel isn’t going to just light up like that. Also it lasts longer than gas in storage.
I think I’ll keep my old diesels, thanks.

I have no use for all the new electronic crap and DEF systems though.
LOL.... 🤣🤣

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It doesn't matter how much you drive, if the spread of diesel is significantly higher then regular gas then an equivalent gasser that averages x liters per hundred will cost the same to run for a diesel that averages y liters per hundred... I've done some simple math for you in my previous post
I use a 30% spread. If diesel is over 30% higher than rug, it's more expensive for me to be driving a diesel. However, buying that third or fourth car just so I have the option of driving gas or diesel is going to cost a whole lot more than a few (100s) tanks of fuel.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
I use a 30% spread. If diesel is over 30% higher than rug, it's more expensive for me to be driving a diesel. However, buying that third or fourth car just so I have the option of driving gas or diesel is going to cost a whole lot more than a few (100s) tanks of fuel.
Oh absolutely, I am not suggesting dumping one's current car just because the spread of diesel and gas has gotten ridiculous, of course that will cost more in the long run. I am merely saying that unfortunately the cost effectiveness of a diesel is no longer there, at least not for newer diesels. An older ALH that can get under 5 liters per hundred on the highway still makes sense, but those are far and few these days (at least in the rust belt areas).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I dumped my ALH 12 years ago. IIRC, the 2000 beetle got about 41 mpg lifetime with the best tank of around 54 mpg. The JSW started in the upper 30s with a few tanks into the low 40s. Best was about 44 on the interstate running cruise at 73 mph. Since the fix, I'm averaging around 35 with 37-38 on the interstate.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Which as I mentioned, is why i stopped filling up at name brand stations. Its 35-40cents cheaper on rez which is why, in my opinion, the diesel is better for my driving as I mentioned. Until a gas car can easily 1000kms, for me, a diesel will always be worth it. There will always be cheaper stations to fill up. Again, my opinion on it as you said yours.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yikes, diesel is almost a buck a litre more than regular fuel. Regular was 1.59 and diesel was 2.42 as of yesterday at my local pump.

At what point do you decide that it's just not worth having a diesel car anymore?

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Yikes, diesel is almost a buck a litre more than regular fuel. Regular was 1.59 and diesel was 2.42 as of yesterday at my local pump.

At what point do you decide that it's just not worth having a diesel car anymore?
Well, see my previous post...

So that was with a spread of 50 cents... now that it's 83 cents, here's some more simple math using my 13 golf wagon that averages right around 6.5 L/100km

It costs me 15.73 to drive 100km (6.5 Liters x 2.42 a liter = 15.73)

15.73 divided by 1.59 (price of regular) = 9.9 liters, or in other words, any car that averages 9.9 L/100km breaks even with a tdi that averages 6.5 L/100km... many modern gassers with similar sized engines/power average well below that. Not even an ALH that let's say averages 5.0 L/100km (very optimistic average) is really not worth it anymore...

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well, see my previous post...

So that was with a spread of 50 cents... now that it's 83 cents, here's some more simple math using my 13 golf wagon that averages right around 6.5 L/100km

It costs me 15.73 to drive 100km (6.5 Liters x 2.42 a liter = 15.73)

15.73 divided by 1.59 (price of regular) = 9.9 liters, or in other words, any car that averages 9.9 L/100km breaks even with a tdi that averages 6.5 L/100km... many modern gassers with similar sized engines/power average well below that. Not even an ALH that let's say averages 5.0 L/100km (very optimistic average) is really not worth it anymore...
Thanks for the math and I'll just ride the high diesel price until at least spring '23 to revisit if it's worth keeping my car. My wife's 2016 CRV averages 7.8l/100km with a mix of highway and city. The only time we ever take my car is when we are doing a long drive on the weekends because that's when my car really shines; long consistent drives. I never average anything less than 6.8l/100 since I bought the car in Jan 2020.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Thanks for the math and I'll just ride the high diesel price until at least spring '23 to revisit if it's worth keeping my car. My wife's 2016 CRV averages 7.8l/100km with a mix of highway and city. The only time we ever take my car is when we are doing a long drive on the weekends because that's when my car really shines; long consistent drives. I never average anything less than 6.8l/100 since I bought the car in Jan 2020.
That's great fuel consumption for a mid size SUV with a fairly big 2.4L engine... it's sad that with the current spread, a gas SUV can be cheaper to run then a normal sized diesel car... hopefully this madness stops in the next year and the gap goes back to what it was

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've got my JSW in the body shop this week and the wife is driving a 22 Corolla. Guess we'll run the poop out of it and burn through all the cheap gas while we can.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
And it's been above average temperatures across eastern Canada and the US these past few weeks... Let's see what happens when it actually gets cold

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Glad I filled up before coming home across the border last night. It was $5.50 / gal which was high compared to TX and OK at 4.50.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I paid $4.699 minus the GasBuddy discount.
Diesel prices coming down a bit here...