Diesel price...

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
what in the **** is going on with diesel prices? Gas / Oil companies are being greedy.

How much is enough? How much billions of dollars of profit is enough already?
In the US the govt makes more off each gallon sold than the oil co does, who's being greedy?

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
In the US the govt makes more off each gallon sold than the oil co does, who's being greedy?
??? The federal gas tax has been $0.183 per gallon since 1993. That comes out to ~$7.69 per bbl. The cost to get a barrel of oil in the permian is $41. From Shale it's ~$50. Selling for >$100/bbl. So the US government gets < $8 vs >$50 to oil companies. Last I checked $50 > $8.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
??? The federal gas tax has been $0.183 per gallon since 1993. That comes out to ~$7.69 per bbl. The cost to get a barrel of oil in the permian is $41. From Shale it's ~$50. Selling for >$100/bbl. So the US government gets < $8 vs >$50 to oil companies. Last I checked $50 > $8.
Also the state (here) takes another .18/gal plus any local govt taxes but we're not buying crude, there are a bunch of well paid workers involved before it comes out of the pump. I'm not complaining about the cost of fuel/groceries or anything else, this is what voting for the dems gets us and hopefully this is a learning experience.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Also the state (here) takes another .18/gal plus any local govt taxes but we're not buying crude, there are a bunch of well paid workers involved before it comes out of the pump. I'm not complaining about the cost of fuel/groceries or anything else, this is what voting for the dems gets us and hopefully this is a learning experience.
So even after state taxes that's still <$15/bbl. $15 is still <$50. It's just supply and demand. If there's 10M gallons of diesel available per day price but demand is 11M/day the price will keep rising until demand drops or supply rises. It's either that or rationing, pick one. And vote for the party that pushes for alternatives that will get us off this fools fuel roller coaster.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So even after state taxes that's still <$15/bbl. $15 is still <$50. It's just supply and demand. If there's 10M gallons of diesel available per day price but demand is 11M/day the price will keep rising until demand drops or supply rises. It's either that or rationing, pick one. And vote for the party that pushes for alternatives that will get us off this fools fuel roller coaster.
As in the party that wants to make internal combustion powered vehicles illegal? No thank you! I'll stick to my freedom
If you want to, then you can get off of the fuels roller coaster. I don't want any political party to force me or you to have to drive any specific vehicle.
You take your mandates and pushing for electric vehicles and keep them away from the rest of us.
And I'll keep voting against such measures as I can.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
As in the party that wants to make internal combustion powered vehicles illegal? No thank you! I'll stick to my freedom

If you want to, then you can get off of the fuels roller coaster. I don't want any political party to force me or you to have to drive any specific vehicle.
You take your mandates and pushing for electric vehicles and keep them away from the rest of us.
And I'll keep voting against such measures as I can.
We can either mandate burning less fools fuel OR mandate higher Sea Levels and more coastal flooding, Sea water contamination of ground water, Depletion of glacier fed water supplies, More severe Floods, More Severe droughts, More severe hurricanes, More severe weather, More wildfires, more asthma from wildfires, ocean acidification, species loss, increased disease spread, spread of invasive species like the bark beetle, increased tree loss, due to bark beetle, famine due to drought, increased conflict due to resource scarcity, increased heat waves, increased cold snaps due to instability in the jet stream, significantly higher insurance rates due to severe weather, increased political instability due to climate migration, loss of coral due to bleaching, economic damage from loss of tourism due to coral bleaching, lower output from nuclear and solar facilities due to higher ambient temperatures, increased electricity use due to wider climate swings. Not to mention the recent funding of murderous autocrats.....

Which is the lesser evil? One way or the other something is being 'pushed' on people. Stop deluding yourself into believing that isn't true.

Explain to me how your freedom to drive any vehicle you choose is more valuable than my freedom to not have my house burn down from a wildfire, or my kids to suffer from asthma, or my home destroyed by unprecedented flooding. Please explain that to me.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
We can either mandate burning less fools fuel OR mandate higher Sea Levels and more coastal flooding, Sea water contamination of ground water, Depletion of glacier fed water supplies, More severe Floods, More Severe droughts, More severe hurricanes, More severe weather, More wildfires, more asthma from wildfires, ocean acidification, species loss, increased disease spread, spread of invasive species like the bark beetle, increased tree loss, due to bark beetle, famine due to drought, increased conflict due to resource scarcity, increased heat waves, increased cold snaps due to instability in the jet stream, significantly higher insurance rates due to severe weather, increased political instability due to climate migration, loss of coral due to bleaching, economic damage from loss of tourism due to coral bleaching, lower output from nuclear and solar facilities due to higher ambient temperatures, increased electricity use due to wider climate swings. Not to mention the recent funding of murderous autocrats.....

Which is the lesser evil? One way or the other something is being 'pushed' on people. Stop deluding yourself into believing that isn't true.

Explain to me how your freedom to drive any vehicle you choose is more valuable than my freedom to not have my house burn down from a wildfire, or my kids to suffer from asthma, or my home destroyed by unprecedented flooding. Please explain that to me.
How much of that is due to fossil fuels? Did you know that most of the greenhouse gasses are actually from natural causes?
Either way, that's off topic.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
meanwhile, americans seems to think that high gas prices are 100% biden's fault whereas it's a global supply issue. Oh muh freedumb is beEn taKen aWay cUz teh liBertard iS foRciNg mE thEir mAnDatE oN me to sWitCh from dyesal to EVee.

*facepalm*

Mozambiquer

TDI
Sorry guys, initially I thought I was commenting on the "renewable energy thread"
Hopefully I don't cause nwdiver's house to burn down because I keep driving my TDI.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you know that most of the greenhouse gasses are actually from natural causes?
You have an aquarium with a 100 gph filter cycling 100 gallons into and out of the tank every hour. Now you start adding 3 gallons an hour. Soon you're gonna have a mess. Was that 3 gallons per hour you added ~3% of the reason for the mess or 100% of the reason? ;) THINK! This. Is. Not. Complicated! *sigh*

Mozambiquer

TDI
You have an aquarium with a 100 gph filter cycling 100 gallons into and out of the tank every hour. Now you start adding 3 gallons an hour. Soon you're gonna have a mess. Was that 3 gallons per hour you added ~3% of the reason for the mess or 100% of the reason? ;) THINK! This. Is. Not. Complicated! *sigh*
Keep living in fear, and let's leave this thread to go back on the correct topic...

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep living in fear, and let's leave this thread to go back on the correct topic...
Answer the question and I'll leave it. Is the 3 gallons 3% of the reason the tank overflowed or 100%? If you would stop derailing threads they wouldn't get derailed. We were having a nice debate about the components of the price of diesel until you started spouting off about how your freedom is more important than anyone else's freedoms.....

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Answer the question and I'll leave it. Is the 3 gallons 3% of the reason the tank overflowed or 100%? If you would stop derailing threads they wouldn't get derailed.
A moderator is going to lock up this thread because of some nonsense that should be discussed in another thread. Don't screw this up for the Ontario people. Post your opinion in the correct thread.

Mozambiquer

TDI
A moderator is going to lock up this thread because of some nonsense that should be discussed in another thread. Don't screw this up for the Ontario people. Post your opinion in the correct thread.
Sorry guys! I shouldn't have fed the troll. I'm bowing out.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Back to our normal topic. Esso at 197 Bellamy Rd. N reporting price of $214.9L as per Gasbuddy. Anyone near there to report if true?

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Back to our normal topic. Esso at 197 Bellamy Rd. N reporting price of $214.9L as per Gasbuddy. Anyone near there to report if true?
It may be true, however, some price posters on Gasbuddy/Torontogasprices post "fictional" pricing just to get points added to their accounts.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I fell for the gusbuddy price yesterday. I knew it was too good to be true but not that far out of my way in case it was real.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Hopefully I don't cause nwdiver's house to burn down because I keep driving my TDI.
'The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood' - Douglas Adams

The price of diesel is up because y'all are trying to buy more gallons than are being produced, it's that simple. Buy less diesel and the price will drop. It's ironic that people who think the universe revolves around them are also blind to the external consequences of collective action.

Last edited:

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
'The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood' - Douglas Adams

The price of diesel is up because y'all are trying to buy more gallons than are being produced, it's that simple. Buy less diesel and the price will drop. It's ironic that people who think the universe revolves around them are also blind to the external consequences of collective action.
:rolleyes:

Meanwhile price of everything is right through the roof. Let me buy less so I can survive less.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
:rolleyes:

Meanwhile price of everything is right through the roof. Let me buy less so I can survive less.
Yeah.... 'cause ~everything needs diesel to get from A to B (for now). I buy no diesel and I'm 'surviving' more :D. The 'cheat code' is to choose an abundant energy source freed from the constraints of supply.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I fell for the gusbuddy price yesterday. I knew it was too good to be true but not that far out of my way in case it was real.
Yes I've done that as well, so now I just stick to a couple of "known" gas stations in my area, and luckily the posted prices have matched the actual prices at the stations almost every time.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Yeah.... 'cause ~everything needs diesel to get from A to B (for now). I buy no diesel and I'm 'surviving' more :D. The 'cheat code' is to choose an abundant energy source freed from the constraints of supply.
If you think the only reason diesel is so expensive is due to simple supply and demand, you couldn't be more wrong. I invite you to watch this video for a relatively good explanation in under 30 minutes. While it can't cover every single basis, it's a pretty good summary

Now please, leave this thread to be what it was, discussion about fuel prices in Ontario, Canada

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
If you think the only reason diesel is so expensive is due to simple supply and demand, you couldn't be more wrong. I invite you to watch this video for a relatively good explanation in under 30 minutes. While it can't cover every single basis, it's a pretty good summary

Now please, leave this thread to be what it was, discussion about fuel prices in Ontario, Canada
???? Did you watch the video ???? It basically explains how diesel IS so expensive because of supply and demand. 12:20 'It's the minor mismatches that matter here' . Yeah.... if demand is just ~5% higher than supply you can get a 100% surge in fuel prices in Ontario, Canada. Reason 69,420 it's insane to be so dependent on such an economically unreliable energy source.

Last edited:

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
???? Did you watch the video ???? It basically explains how diesel IS so expensive because of supply and demand. 12:20 'It's the minor mismatches that matter here' . Yeah.... if demand is just ~5% higher than supply you can get a 100% surge in fuel prices in Ontario, Canada. Reason 69,420 it's insane to be so dependent on such an economically unreliable energy source.
OK, you don't seem to get it do you. I never said supply and demand doesn't affect the price, I said that supply and demand ISN'T THE ONLY REASON why prices are so high. How hard is that to comprehend? Just let it go and stop thread derailing already

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, you don't seem to get it do you. I never said supply and demand doesn't affect the price, I said that supply and demand ISN'T THE ONLY REASON why prices are so high. How hard is that to comprehend? Just let it go and stop thread derailing already
LOL! And as evidence you use a video explaining how supply and demand are causing the high prices??? Ok...... so why are prices high aside from supply and demand? Yes... there are complicated reasons as to why supply isn't rising..... that. is. part. of. my. point. Supply < Demand => Diesel cost more money.

How is discussing the high price of diesel derailing a thread about the price of diesel????