Diesel price...

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
I don't like playing devils advocate, but the cost effectiveness you speak of only takes into consideration the price of gas vs diesel and nothing else into account
True.... Probably a more accurate statement would have been "the price of diesel fuel is not a deterrent to be enjoying all that our TDI's offer".

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
True.... Probably a more accurate statement would have been "the price of diesel fuel is not a deterrent to be enjoying all that our TDI's offer".
Yep I agree with that. I think it's BS that diesel is taxed the way it is in many countries but what can you do

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
My Diesel vs Gas Price 2019

I always track my fuel info and at the same time I track the price of gasoline at the places I fill up with diesel.
Here's the comparison for 2019, majority of fill-ups in Eastern Ontario.

Just as in other years, the price of diesel does not spike up and down like gas does.
Low and High for gasoline was 85.2 to 133.9 cents per litre :eek:
Low and High for diesel was 105.9 to 126.9 cents per litre
52 fill-ups, total 40708 km, total cost for fuel $2399
Diesel average price for the year has dropped from 120.75 in 2018 to 117.05 in 2019.
Gasoline average price for the year has also dropped from 119.4 in 2018 to 114.2 in 2019.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You must have way too much time on your hand! :)

I just fill up after the light comes on at the most gas convenient station. Couldn't bother with wasting time on hunting for cheaper station or tracking prices. The most you will save from a regular priced station to a cheap one is maybe a few bucks. Not worth the time and effort.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Where I am for the winter Diesel is about Cdn$ 1.58 litre and it's not even ULSD stil LSD !

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
...Couldn't bother with wasting time on hunting for cheaper station or tracking prices.... Not worth the time and effort.
I never hunt either, this just happens to be the price of where I fill up. As for "tracking" prices, I don't do that either, but I do calculate mpg manually. So since I write down the info for every fill up, I capture the gas price at the same time... No extra effort required.:)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Fair enough but why are you even calculating MPG?

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
117.9/L at the new MiFuel station on Sheppard/Gateforth (between Neilson and Markham) in Scarborough. Plus free K-cup coffee/tea with every fill up.

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 1.9 GLS, reflex silver (pseudo wrecked Apr10/13); 2013 Candy White Jetta TDI
117.9/L at the new MiFuel station on Sheppard/Gateforth (between Neilson and Markham) in Scarborough. Plus free K-cup coffee/tea with every fill up.
I always wondered about that station, I pass by it all the time.

Pioneer about the same distance from Markham rd going west is currently 114.9/L
Last time I was there it was free coffee as well....but tasted horrible :p

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I always wondered about that station, I pass by it all the time.

Pioneer about the same distance from Markham rd going west is currently 114.9/L
Last time I was there it was free coffee as well....but tasted horrible :p
Hmm, I know that Pioneer (at Sheppard/Havenview), and it's always higher diesel price than MiFuel. torontogasprices is reporting 119.4/L for that Pioneer now.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Fair enough but why are you even calculating MPG?
Why not... some of us are statistical nerds. I currently drive a hunk of crap 97 chrysler cirrus that I got for free that guzzles 12L/100km... i don't care that much about consumption or cost of fuel but I still track my fill ups

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
It's that time of year again...
I always track my fuel info and at the same time I track the price of gasoline at the places I fill up with diesel.
Here's the comparison for 2020, majority of fill-ups in Eastern Ontario.

My Diesel vs. Gasoline price at fill-up 2020

Low and High for gasoline was 65.6 to 117.2 cents per litre
Low and High for diesel was 80.5 to 123.9 cents per litre
39 fill-ups, total 31046 km driven, total fuel used 1575.9 litres, cost for fuel $1549.
Therefore approximately 5.08 l/100kms, or 55.6 mpg, or for our American friends 46.3 mpg
Diesel average price (at the time of fill-up) for the year has dropped from 117.05 in 2019 to 98.7 in 2020.
Gasoline average price (at the time of fill-up) for the year has also dropped from 114.2 in 2019 to 95.4 in 2020.

As can be plainly seen in the chart, the price of gasoline dropped drastically during the early lock-downs caused by covid-19.
But once the initial lock-downs were over, prices remained reasonably comparable for the remainder of the year.

Last edited:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Interesting to see the change in price of fuel (Diesel, Gas) from 2018 to 2019 to 2020. The average price has come down, yet we still feel inflationary pressures at the grocery store.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Filled up this morning for 137.9/L at the new MiFuel station on Sheppard/Gateforth (between Neilson and Markham) in Scarborough. Plus free K-cup coffee/tea with every fill up.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
It's that time of year again...
If you seen some of my other posts on this topic, you will notice that my 2021 data looks quite a bit different from previous years.
I was fortunate enough to retire at the end of 2020 so I am no longer commuting 800 kms a week. Therefore the chart doesn't have as many data points, but thought I'd share just the same.
Here's the comparison for 2021, majority of fill-ups in Eastern Ontario.

My Diesel vs. Gasoline price at fill-up 2021

8 fill-ups, total 6419 km driven, total fuel used 356 litres, cost for fuel $445.
The results in approximately 5.55 l/100kms, or 50.9 mpg, or for our American friends 42 mpg
Diesel average price (at the time of my fill-ups) for 2021 has increased to 124.6 from 98.7 in 2020.
Gasoline average price (at the time of fill-up) for 2021 has also increased to 129.1 from 95.4 in 2020.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have filled my '03 195 times since buying it in May 2009 at an average price of 111.63. Total kms driven 193473 at an average of 5.61 l/100km

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Nope.... I still find it fascinating that he drives that little, even being retired and all......

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You must have way too much time on your hand! :)

I just fill up after the light comes on at the most gas convenient station. Couldn't bother with wasting time on hunting for cheaper station or tracking prices. The most you will save from a regular priced station to a cheap one is maybe a few bucks. Not worth the time and effort.
WHAT?
just having a few spare used cans ($60 bucks max) and using truck pumps with $100 min purchase discount at $$0.25 a gallon less. over 30k miles (normal 30 minute commute to and from work every day only for work alone) 45mpg... is 665 gallons or $165 dollars.
do this for a while... its actually a decent savings.
i guess you HATE money! REGUARDLESS of current or past prices. the discount is usually the same.
i have been able to (when i had the car) rack up about a grand in savings over 6 years.
If you drive half that.. its still 80 bucks a year... not a few bucks... TRY HARDER

3 things you will do for your entire life, eat, poop, and rack up miles. over your lifetime... you can easily rack up a hundred grand just by taking a few bucks off each line item a month.
You clearly have no clue what a budget is. Granted i just fill up as needed with gas.... but ... i do love that money!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Nope.... I still find it fascinating that he drives that little, even being retired and all......
We only put 4300 miles on the JSW last year and about 12k on the truck. It's become our travel vehicle since it's easier to throw the bikes over the tailgate and load up the back and back seat with whatever else we need/want to take with us. My wife retired at the start of the 2020 school year, so no commuting and the kids are now less than 10 miles away.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know what everyone's insurance rates are like, but I'd have a hard time justifying insurance cost on multiple driveway ornaments.
For me it seems that insurance costs are more or less equal to MPG savings + small PM so it's pretty much a wash..... If I can get by with one less vehicle, it's one less depreciating asset around.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah I have a 10c off a gal holiday card I use every fill. Plus 24c a gall off GasBuddy discount at holiday. About $400 a year saved. Unless my math is badly off. Let's say 40-50k a year. 35mpg. Every penny counts.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I don't know what everyone's insurance rates are like, but I'd have a hard time justifying insurance cost on multiple driveway ornaments.
For me it seems that insurance costs are more or less equal to MPG savings + small PM so it's pretty much a wash..... If I can get by with one less vehicle, it's one less depreciating asset around.
But when insurance on a motorcycle is about $60 to $80 a year....
You end up with 5 or 6 of them sitting around!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Must be nice.... around here we are lucky if we can pay that much a month on bikes 😭

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
th
FYI
That sux
i have my 04 escape 25/30k, a 04 cayenne S at full complete with 100 deductible, a 95 chevy g30 1 ton work van on a commercial policy and 3 motorcycles, renters insurance on a 2200 a month booshie apartment, 2 storage units that also require renters, and a policy on my firearms and valuables that supersedes my renters.
grand total, $1,330ish annual.. that includes a 9 year flawless driving record, AAA, and a bunch of other discounts like high GPA and credit score bs.
i pay about $65 a month on the cayenne and about 28 a month on the escape. you can do the rest of the math, and that is for 2 drivers (me and wife)
and you know what pisses me off, its though progressive but since i did it in MD the provider group (erie) is not covered for colorado. SO now i have to shop around and sort this out by the 10th. oh well.. freaking hail damage!

for the cost of living in the middle of no where and maple syrup as fuel... hope you all up there in leaf world sure make some decent income...
didn't mean to gloat but wanted it in perspective.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now you can understand why saving $80 a year by shopping around for cheap fuel (or even a few hundos by having a 2nd fuel efficient vehicle if you don't drive a lot) is irrelevant......
We can barely insure one vehicle for what you're paying on your "portfolio\fleet" so as soon as you start multiplying, you're screwed.

Bunch of crooks!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now you can understand why saving $80 a year by shopping around for cheap fuel (or even a few hundos by having a 2nd fuel efficient vehicle if you don't drive a lot) is irrelevant......
We can barely insure one vehicle for what you're paying on your "portfolio\fleet" so as soon as you start multiplying, you're screwed.

Bunch of crooks!
its the respect for the money and your wallet that is the point. its still a few hundred bucks. i and the wife dont make much, 100% off all the stuffs i have listed up there (other than guns) were all junked and i put a lot of work in getting engines swapped, or fixed. we would never be able to afford that. but we still save where we can and anyone who is unwilling to do so either hates money or has too much of it. I don't and hopefully you don't either. If you do, i will send you a gofundme link to our sons disability savings fund! you can pledge 80 bucks a year to us for the next 10 years. we will be happy for it!
Don't think im a penny pincher though. i actually throw away pennies that come my way. I will never use them and cant be more than 3 bucks over 20 years. so yea into the trash they go (when i get them)