Diesel Pickup

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a used diesel 4x4 pickup (3/4 ton) and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Is there any one engine or drive-train that is more reliable or easier to work on than the others?

Many thanks.

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
I have great luck with early gen 7.3 powerstroke ford turbo diesels.....start well easy maintenance good power.....older GM 6.2`s were garbage only lasted about 100k then needed new head gaskets. Dodge cummins is probbaly the next best but the trannys tend to come apart on em. If going new or close to it the chevy duramax its the cats arse with a allison trans. But for used those are my reccomendations

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Many thanks, I've heard that 6.2L GMCs were prone to problems from a few others as well. The powerstroke and cummings were definitely the two that I'm looking for. I really cannot justify the cost of a new one so I'm looking for something 5-10 years old.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
Antsrcool said:
I have great luck with early gen 7.3 powerstroke ford turbo diesels.....start well easy maintenance good power.....older GM 6.2`s were garbage only lasted about 100k then needed new head gaskets. Dodge cummins is probbaly the next best but the trannys tend to come apart on em. If going new or close to it the chevy duramax its the cats arse with a allison trans. But for used those are my reccomendations
i beg to differ.mine just turned 500,000 miles yesterday and it is untouched other then the inj pump.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Go with a 12 valve Cummins in a '97-'98 Dodge, manual tranny if you can find one. These are much sought after beasts so be patient..

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
I've seen ads for a few 24 valve 5.9L Cummings but no 12 valve engines. I'm definitely going for a manual tranny.

djbobo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5-speed
I'd go 97' dodge manual. It's my favorite. I also have a 98 (12v) with a auto and a 04 with a manual.

Unless you have an extra 3-4 grand for auto trans upgrades (in a used dodge) the manual is the way to go. Besides the auto's (and CA sold trucks for that matter) were de-tuned in the 12 valves.

If you look at newer generation (less noisy 03 & up)
-In 03 the dodge went to a common rail fuel system ,however, if it was manufactered in 02 it came with a de-rated (SO) engine in the weaker (47e) autos.

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
I had an '01 Cummins 5 spd, and would jump all over that again.
That being said, upgrade the drive-shafts and u-joints in these trucks as they are a known issue - the steel wall isn't thick enough in the driveshaft from my understanding, and there are more then a few being used as drill-bits now.
I only had an issue with the u-joints thankfully, but never bashed it either.
22 mpg imperial on a 5 speed at 55mph was about average (on a quad-cab 4x4)

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
My old '96 Dodge Cummins 4WD, 5-speed, extended cab, long bed, routinely got 20+ mpg. I sold it to my brother and he reports slightly lower mileage now. He had a problem with the starter motor sticking, which resulted in a wiring harness fire. There were a few fairly minor brake problems (I hate drum brakes), but that's about it. I wish I had it back. I don't really miss my 2003 3500, long bed, quad-cab, 2WD Dodge CTD with auto. It rarely broke 17 mpg, even with protracted, reasonable highway driving.

helloskyharbour

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL auto
If you go for a 24v (Dodge), you can get a 6spd with larger clutch, huge rear axle (Dana 80) and rear disc brakes which is nice. At 12k I think you can even find an 03 (new common rail or whatever). Been a while I since I have had these trucks so it's starting to fade but I had a 03 SO 4x4 auto, 03 4x2 HO 6spd and 01.5 HO 6spd. The latter had who knows how much HP and torque. Something like 800 lb ft with intake/injectors/exhaust/ECU and a south bend clutch. All great trucks. I really prefer the interior of the 3rd gens (2003+ I guess it would be, in the HDs.)

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I have a 6.5L GM 1 ton, and it works fine despite 230,000 miles. I regret settling for an automatic - Even with an extra oil coolers the oil temps get too high If I try to go 70 when pull the camper. 65 is okay as long as it isn't too hilly. Considering my experience, if you are planning on towing I strongly recommend getting a oil temperature gauge. How else do you know what is happening inside?

Of course the GM was half the price of any other diesel truck you can buy (it was also 5 years older - 93). When buying used you have to take what you can find.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
rhskcdn said:
Many thanks, I've heard that 6.2L GMCs were prone to problems from a few others as well. The powerstroke and cummings were definitely the two that I'm looking for. I really cannot justify the cost of a new one so I'm looking for something 5-10 years old.
rhskcdn said:
I've seen ads for a few 24 valve 5.9L Cummings but no 12 valve engines. I'm definitely going for a manual tranny.
Cummins.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
I have experience with 7.3PS and 12V/24V Cummins. I would go with the 24V Cummins. They get a bad rep for fuel economy, but I've found that if you drive them like a 12V (short shift, ride the torque, don't rev it out) the economy isn't much different.

Some people have had good success with the 6.2/6.5L GM diesels and I won't deny that. However, they are still a laughing stock to most diesel-heads due to IP, waterpump and cam issues. That, and they were an IDI design that just doesn't offer the power/economy combo that DI does. The Duramax is a different animal. Good engine, but you've still got to rev it like any V8 diesel. Not my style.

You are wise to stick with a manual.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
fastvicar said:
I have experience with 7.3PS and 12V/24V Cummins. I would go with the 24V Cummins. They get a bad rep for fuel economy, but I've found that if you drive them like a 12V (short shift, ride the torque, don't rev it out) the economy isn't much different.

Some people have had good success with the 6.2/6.5L GM diesels and I won't deny that. However, they are still a laughing stock to most diesel-heads due to IP, waterpump and cam issues. That, and they were an IDI design that just doesn't offer the power/economy combo that DI does. The Duramax is a different animal. Good engine, but you've still got to rev it like any V8 diesel. Not my style.

You are wise to stick with a manual.
your thinking of the 94-up 6.5 with the electronic pump.the cause of the problem was actually the pmd electronic module that some brilliant engineer decided to mount on the side of the pump.if you buy an extension harness and move it to the rad support to get cool air it will cure the problem.doesn't the 24valce cummins use just such an electronic pump??i know i've heard of alot of em taking a dump to the tune of about $2000and up! .as for 6.2/6.5 waterpump issues again it was on the later 6.5's,then even went to 2 thermostats to help cool.as for the camshafts i myself have never heard of one go bad but with all the 305/350 cams that went flat back in the late 70's early 80's i wouldn't put it past em.i love my 6.2/6.5's but for all out brute power and reliability and ease of operation go for 97 or early 98 12valve you won't regret it.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
catmandoo said:
your thinking of the 94-up 6.5 with the electronic pump.the cause of the problem was actually the pmd electronic module that some brilliant engineer decided to mount on the side of the pump.if you buy an extension harness and move it to the rad support to get cool air it will cure the problem.
Well, that and the early 6.5s that would suffer from vapor-lock because fuel lines were run right next to the turbo in the vee of the engine.

catmandoo said:
doesn't the 24valce cummins use just such an electronic pump??i know i've heard of alot of em taking a dump to the tune of about $2000and up!
I believe that you're thinking of the lifter pump between tank & IP. They cost a little under $200. If you don't notice it going bad then you could be spending the $2000 on a new IP because of air pockets in the fuel can destroy the IP.

catmandoo said:
i love my 6.2/6.5's but for all out brute power and reliability and ease of operation go for 97 or early 98 12valve you won't regret it.
A lot of owners of the 6.2/6.5 love their engines. I tend to believe that they are more in love with the bowtie on the grille than the actual engine. ;)

got diesel?

TDI
'06 Jetta
Cummins. the 24-valves have some chronic lift pump failures, but the engine is one of the simpler diesels out there... and no glow plugs. Had a y2k 4x4 long-bed quad-cab automatic that was getting 24+mpg averaging 72mph... traded it @ 140k for a new '04.5 6-speed that with a stick that currently only gets ~18mpg.

They all have pluses and minuses... and they all have their own followings. The only thing that would make the Cummins powered trucks better is if they weren't in a dodge:)

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
fastvicar said:
Well, that and the early 6.5s that would suffer from vapor-lock because fuel lines were run right next to the turbo in the vee of the engine.

;)
the turbo sets on top of the passenger side exhaust manifold. you must be thinking of the powerstroke fords!!

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
i agree with most every post in here. I've got a 1998.5 24v Dodge/Cummins, and I love it. I've got the 5speed NV4500, and I wouldn't have it any other way, except for the 6sp 5600 tranny. Don't buy a diesel, any brand, prior to 2003 with an automatic tranny, GM Duramax excluded. Fords and Dodges, with their auto's, were prone to failures and the expense to replace is horrendous. Besides, the manual will give you better economy.
I've never heard of Dodge having problems with driveshafts, never, so don't let that concern you. Go to www.tdr1.com for all things Dodge/Cummins. Great resource.
The Ford 7.3l Powerstroke engines are great. If you can find a 1997 Ford, you've found gold! Great trucks with great economy.
personally, I like Dodge, and would recommend one to anyone, as long as it's a manual. Known problems on the 2nd generation Dodge trucks(1998.5-2002.5): if 4wd, crappy, and I mean crappy front ends. there are fixes available, but be prepared to drop about $1k into the front end to keep it running and tracking straight. very weak fuel systems. The lift pump, not the injection pump, was very prone to failure, which leads to injection pump failures. I've already replaced my LP three times in two years. Automatic tranny problems(enough said already). those are generally the only major things that I know of.
With my Dodge, I've had no drivetrain problems except for the wandering steering problems. I bought a $60 part(Lukes Link) that eliminated problems with the track bar. This is an easy part to replace. Now I've got to replace the steering box, which is not cheap. Also, ball joints are a problem. Lots of weight on the front axle because of the engine.
As for the fuel system, www.glacierdiesel.com sells a great replacement system, but there are others out there. Again, my personal experience is that I've had to replace my LP three times in the last two years.

If you decide to go with a 2nd gen Dodge, get gauges. I recommend a pyrometer(EGT) gauge cause it's easy to smoke a turbo from too much heat. Also a fuel pressure gauge for above mentioned reasons. I also run a boost gauge, but not too necessary.

PM me if you need any additional information. I've been a member over at www.tdr1.com for about two years.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
catmandoo said:
the turbo sets on top of the passenger side exhaust manifold. you must be thinking of the powerstroke fords!!
Not for the first year or so. IIRC they moved the turbo down there because of the fueling issues.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
the only 6.2 or 6.5 to ever have the turbo on top were the vans!