Diesel particulate filter

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
Since I'm nearing 100k I'm starting to pay attention to some of the upcoming maintenace needs.

I assume the DPF was chaged during the recall fix and therefore the 120,000 mile check interval is now different? Also, is ir safe to assume the DPF falls under the extended warranty as part of the recall?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Doubtful it was changed but it should have said on your repair order what work was done and parts replaced. It does fall under the extended warranty but only if it sets a check engine light of some sort first. They won't do any proactive swaps.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
When I had my second phase of the fix performed, I believe the part was replaced on my 2015 Golf TDI SE. It believe it has to do with miles on the unit. I had 48k when I bought my car in November and didn't have the part two fix done until parts became available the following year when I had more miles of course on the unit.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just had my 2015 Beetle in today for an oil change and tire rotation. Spoke to them about part 2b. They had no real knowledge of anything about it really. My car only just got 30k on it this week so not even due for part 2b for some time yet. It was raining so the dealer was the choice today. They do okay for service at this dealer. Sales though has really ticked me off every time I have been there including today when looking at a 2014 Passat tdi buyback. I have always had to go to the other dealer farther into Austin to do my buying. Bought 4 cars there so far as the one close to me just can't seem to get sales polite and correct without the hassling around.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our Passat got 2A only when it went in at 36K, still on stock DPF.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
What exactly are the phases of "fix"? I read phase 1 and 2. What all is involved in each phase? And why have 2 phases instead of one fix?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Phase one was done so the cars could be put back on the market and sold. Mostly a software tweak. Then the cars were supposed to be returned by their owners (some had money involved from the dieselgate fiasco) to get part two done. For some or maybe all part two ended up being and A and B due to mileage requirements. Lower mileage cars got part A done with more software tweaks and a sensor. Higher mileage cars got potentially a major emissions rebuild depending (new dpf and such). The idea was to insure the components lasted through a certain high mileage number. It also provided VW time to manufacture and get approved each part of the fix for the various cars. I may not be exactly right but you get the point.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Agreed it was broken into 2 parts (software then hardware) to allow buy backs to hit the market faster. It was then broken even further into 3 parts (software, little bit of hardware, and then a lot of hardware) so VW would only be replacing the emissions system once through the warranty period of ~162K.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We bought (her) Mk7 GSW S 6M as a new stop-sale car, and test drove it before they even did Phase 1. Then the dealer prepped the car, did a great job replacing all the rubber and fluids, did phase 1, and we picked it up. Despite my skepticism, the car was so impressive that by the time it hit 20k miles, I decided to get a second one. Mine (GSW SE 6M) was offered as a CPO at 12,000 miles, and phase 2A and 2B had already been done. I didn't really believe it, but when VW gave me the printout of previous work done, sure enough, the invoice shows all the right part numbers.

In one of the other threads someone asked (but it was largely ignored), why some dealers are doing Phase 2B prior to the stated manual (60,000 miles early, in my case) and how that plays into the longevity of the DPF.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think there was a change of VWoA decision. I asked for both 2A and 2B at 36K last spring but only received 2A. I'm sure the shop would have loved to charge the extra coin for both but when VW holds the purse strings the shop doesn't make the calls.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I think there was a change of VWoA decision. I asked for both 2A and 2B at 36K last spring but only received 2A. I'm sure the shop would have loved to charge the extra coin for both but when VW holds the purse strings the shop doesn't make the calls.

It would seem the monetary aspect is a wash in situations where the DPF is replaced only once- in your case either at 36k last spring, or after you hit the mileage mark.

In my case, it was replaced far too early according to VW's own plan. I'm curious what would happen if I visited a dealer at the 70k mi mark looking for a new DPF. The way the paperwork reads, the intent of delaying a new DPF until the 40/70k mileage mark was to "maintain emissions performance for the full useful life the vehicle" (150k). I'm sure most dealers would argue that it's been done already, but clearly VW intended the DPF be replaced after 70k for my car.