Diesel Oil, or "Here we go again!"

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Synthetic base oils like GTL, PAO, Group III, Visom, Etc... are all made from hydrocarbons. Do you understand?
The only base oils not made from hydrocarbons are vegetable oil based and/or organic sourced group V Lubricants like Biosyn.
Do You understand? If you read my Post its what i just mentioned. dah... this is a Lost cause.

'lectricjeff

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5 Speed
are You sure its Same castrol oil Your talking about theres 2 types
-Castrol edge 5w30 Professional (for European vehicles meets the 507.00 spec) for my 2012 TDI.
and then theres this one below
-Castrol edge 5w30 (for north american gas engines.) does not meet spec for use on my 2012 TDI.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/castro...pEifIu9d01e6VjMF9QIMvpwwrMviz3D0aAiIXEALw_wcB
https://germanoem.ca/edge-professional-ll03-5w30-engine-oil-946ml-castrol-g0521952q-cas.html
See the difference now.?
Are you sure it said certified for VW 504 / VW 507 ?
This is what I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/145736795

I made a mistake, it is actually 22.48, but it also isn't 504 or 507. It IS 501.01, 502, and 505. I keep forgetting newer cars need the 507, but, it is probably still cheaper from other than the stealership.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Every 10,000 miles or do a UOA to go beyond

You should Only use the proper spec and Viscosity Oil it calls for on Your engine I Only use dealer spec 5w30 Castrol Professional Oil & filter in my 2012 TDI $50.00 for Oil & another $17.30 for Oil filter at Local VW. i could use mobile 1 esp at $15.00 a liter but the dealers is cheaper and its proper oil & filter i change Oil & filter myself at 5,000 km's because its equiped with a turbo and i want to extend its life. but thats me many will argue that there extending there oil changes 15-20,000 just keep in mind. the Oil filter is in bypass mode at that mileage so its no longer filtering oil

but letting dirty oil back into Your engine. and if its a equiped with a turbo your jeperdizing its life span by wearing it out earlyier than normal. Oil is still cheap to buy vs buying an engine or turbo unit. many examples online of people pushing there oil changes well beyond the life of the oil change rec. with a disasterous & expensive $$ outcome.
Every 10,000 miles or 16,000 Km as per TDI manufacturer. If you want to go over 10,000 miles OCI then you may do a used oil analysis (UOA).

Another good value option with VW 507 approval: Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W-30

You can find it fairly easily at local auto stores (NAPA Auto, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto) and online (Amazon). Amazon price is around $10/quart shipped.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
This is what I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/145736795
I made a mistake, it is actually 22.48, but it also isn't 504 or 507. It IS 501.01, 502, and 505. I keep forgetting newer cars need the 507, but, it is probably still cheaper from other than the stealership.
Yes its wrong oil but at least You cought it in time freind. i will give You credit for posting it at making the mistake and admiting it lol were just human at the the end of the day and make mistakes ;) just switch oil to either Mobile1 ESP 5w30 or Castrol 5w30 Professional VW dealer carries it. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

'lectricjeff

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5 Speed
Yes its wrong oil but at least You cought it in time freind. i will give You credit for posting it at making the mistake and admiting it lol were just human at the the end of the day and make mistakes ;) just switch oil to either Mobile1 ESP 5w30 or Castrol 5w30 Professional VW dealer carries it. :cool:
Not the wrong oil for my 03 ALH which requires 505 per the owners manual.

As far as I can tell the API SN (and SN Plus) are specs for turbocharged, direct injection gasoline engines. Not a diesel spec.
It may carry the gasoline ratings as well as diesel ratings. It says 505, 505.01, and 504 right on the bottle, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
An API spec that starts with S is for gasoline engines. Starting with C is for diesel engines.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Many here are doing oil analysis and I have read on this forum that Blackstone is not the route to go as they don't measure soot IIRC.

So can anyone steer me to another UOA company that includes the soot measurement [or whatever it is that is lacking in the Blackstone anaylsis]?

Thanks!

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
Many here are doing oil analysis and I have read on this forum that Blackstone is not the route to go as they don't measure soot IIRC.
So can anyone steer me to another UOA company that includes the soot measurement [or whatever it is that is lacking in the Blackstone anaylsis]?
Thanks!
Oil analysis? nah...! i dont bother. heres 5 reasons why? i don't bother spending $ on it. save Your money and put it toward oil & Filter changes. listen instead of trying to stretch out as long as You can go on that dirty Oil in the engine just change it at a reasonable interval and Your fine. i dont get why people on here go so long in-between oil changes also it brings up another issue as far as checking Oil Level in-between fill-ups many people i read on other forums dont check oil level until its too late. they put in Synthetic oil and drive until the Oil light comes on to where theres no oil in the engine because they have not checked it in 8,000 miles.! :eek: LOL
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1704/oil-analysis-know

'lectricjeff

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5 Speed
Oil analysis? nah...! i dont bother. heres 5 reasons why? i don't bother spending $ on it. save Your money and put it toward oil & Filter changes. listen instead of trying to stretch out as long as You can go on that dirty Oil in the engine just change it at a reasonable interval and Your fine. i dont get why people on here go so long in-between oil changes also it brings up another issue as far as checking Oil Level in-between fill-ups many people i read on other forums dont check oil level until its too late. they put in Synthetic oil and drive until the Oil light comes on to where theres no oil in the engine because they have not checked it in 8,000 miles.! :eek: LOL
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1704/oil-analysis-know
Because the most wear occurs right after a change until the additives have time to actually do what they are designed to do. At 10k miles the additives are ir have just recently started fully doing their job is what is being found by oil analysis.