Diesel Noise

goose737700

TDI
2013 tdi golf DSG. 1995 EVC AHU Tdi, Dsla 1019 injectors, Vnt15.
Hi Everyone i have a pretty simple question but as I have never had a AHU car before this i have no frame of reference.
My question is are AHU engines considerably louder than ALH engines. I did a eurovan tdi conversion last year and although it runs great it is just so much louder than my old 2003 tdi golf that has 360K on the odo.
I've heard that an old injection pump will make noise but what kind exactly?
The AHU has about 200K on it, good head, original Injection pump and good compression. mods include: Dsla 1019 injectors, VNT 15 turbo (AFN tune), Big FMIC and 2.5" intake duct work.
Any assistance is appreciated.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
in my experience, yes, they sound like a honda with valve tap BAD from the engine bay, its normal!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Goose! Are you talking about just sitting idling or out on the road cruising?

Doing conversions requires proper motor mounts, sound deadening, etc. The AHU engine (ALH and all the rest) in their OE environment typically provide a nice ride with reasonable noise!

My ALH in the Vanagon was pretty loud the higher up the RPM scale until I dumped the stiff hydraulic mounts and went with the OE diesel mounts that come in a diesel Vanagon. I did do sound deaden, in fact, quite a bit!

goose737700

TDI
Thanks for the input, i have solid rubber mounts that do a fair job of controlling the vibration. I'm putting more noico deadening mats down this weekend as well as acoustic foam to the underside of the dashboard. At Idle it is reasonable but when loaded up accelerating or going up a hill the noise from the head/ injection pump gets quite loud. BTW this is also running 18 psi max boost.

goose737700

TDI
So the additional deadening mats, and upgraded component speakers seem to be helping. I still have to line the belly pan with something and then make a engine cover. but I made some progress this weekend. But my original question still stands how much noisier are AHU engines than ALH's?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've never listened to an AHU engine, that I am aware of. However, there have been a few transplanted into the VW Bay Bus. I've never read any complaints from them about noise. I suspect the idle sound is probably different but on the road running, I'd guess the sound/noise to be about the same or very little difference.