Diesel news, from Europe

Jimmy

Veteran Member
You may want to take a quick read of the following link. Sort of confirms what we all have been enjoying for some time.
http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirb28_20000928.htm

In particular I quote:

"Automotive Industry Data analyst Peter Schmidt said Volkswagen is leading the march for better diesel technology.

"VW anticipated changes before anyone else and it looks like continuing to stay ahead of the competition," Schmidt said.

According to Schmidt, VW has said that within four years its diesels will be indistinguishable from the equivalent petrol engines, including startup and running noise.

Schmidt speculates that this might be the time for the diesel to conquer America, where half the market is taken up by gas guzzling sport utility vehicles (SUV)."

Better line up and get your TDi now. If prices continue and the average shopper discovers what we know, they could be in short supply for some time.

S

SkyPup

Nice truthful article, and very interesting to note that neither Ford not the Japs have a clue of what is going on. They will be forced to license technology from the leaders whenever they get their heads screwed on right, in the meantime, VW is ten to twelve years ahead of them in engineering technology.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I hate to burst your bubble there SkyPup, but Ford is already putting THEIR TDI engine to work in Focus and Mondeo across the pond; and Mitsubishi already markets commonrail models.

Renault/Citroen/Pugeot have TDI/commonrail on the market.

Daimler/Chrysler has a beauty of a TDI, with commonrail around the bend.

BMW is on the market with theirs

Don't forget Fiat.

As the article suggests, the VW powerplant is perhaps the most effective application (so don't take all this as a slam), and no one is arguing about how much VW's engine has influenced the market.

I've read a lot of comparison articles, and VW still does tend to be the benchmark, but the great news is that more companies are joining in and more competition always benefits the consumer.

My favorite is when they lower the price, increase performance, AND increase the efficiency all at once.

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"

"You said this was a DIESEL?!"