Diesel Generator for the end of the world

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
not sure I understand that math. how does a 5.6kw system provide 8kwh of AC per year?

A TDI is probably a good option for a backup vehicle. I'd probably do a pickup truck as it can haul more cargo and go over rough terrane better then a car. plus you can throw your end of the world generator in the back 😁
8 kWh of AC power as in alternating current.

I refer you to this site if you want to do some 'solar math' :) https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/
You can just make up some numbers or start with the suggested 4 kW PV system and go from there.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

I refer you to this site if you want to do some 'solar math' :) https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/
You can just make up some numbers or start with the suggested 4 kW PV system and go from there.
Your Link wants an address ......... reminds me of Jake the insurance guy or the Gutter guy or maybe the Window guy! I don't give my address to websites. There must be another website that provides such calculations.

It would make it much easier for the readers if you explained in layman terms.

Example:
Kilowatt (KW) = 1,000 watts
Kilowatt Hour (KWH) - 1,000 watts for 1 hour
PV = Photovoltaic

Surely a 5.6 KW PV system would provide more than 8 KWH in a year. I am not sure what you mean by 8 KWH of AC (unless AC means Alternating Current).
'
Anyway, sounds like a plan!

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta

ok, I think I know what they are doing. looks like they are using the RMS value to calculate the equivalent AC power off the DC power. first time I've seen it done that way but I guess it makes sense to do that

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your Link wants an address ......... reminds me of Jake the insurance guy or the Gutter guy or maybe the Window guy! I don't give my address to websites. There must be another website that provides such calculations.

Example:
PV = Photovoltaic

Surely a 5.6 KW PV system would provide more than 8 KWH in a year. I am not sure what you mean by 8 KWH of AC (unless AC means Alternating Current).
'
That must have been a typo from tikal. He probably meant 8000 kWh/year. As far as the NREL link goes, they must use solar insolation(sunlight intensity) maps to make their estimates- hence the address request. Just use a neighbors/nearby address if it's a concern.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI

Example:
PV = Photovoltaic

'
Of course it is up to you if you would like to give your address. To my knowledge this site is used by many people doing some homework on a potential solar system for their house. It is very useful in my view and you can do a sanity check on what potential PV contractors are estimating for your home.

If it makes you feel more comfortable you can always use a VPN. There are free ones for low bandwidth usage such as Windscribe.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
That must have been a typo from tikal. He probably meant 8000 kWh/year. As far as the NREL link goes, they must use solar insolation(sunlight intensity) maps to make their estimates- hence the address request. Just use a neighbors/nearby address if it's a concern.
Thank you turbobrick240 for the clarification. Yes I meant 8000 kWh/year solar production in alternating current (the solar panels as we know produce DC current that is converted to AC by the system). My average usage per year based in the last two years of data I could access gives is around 7 kWh.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've cut my power consumption pretty dramatically the past couple of years. From about 15 kWh per day in 2019 to about 6 kWh per day in '20 and '21. Throwing out the electric space heater was a big chunk of it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Unfortunately, for us, we built too big of a house 32 years ago. However, we did incorporate several energy saving things. I had the attic super insulated, did a 6 inch wall on the west side, used the best R value available at the time, used 1/2" foam board with triple layered aluminum, two heat/AC systems, double pane windows (non-gas filled), completely insulated water lines throughout the house, have retrofitted with solar powered roof vents, 5/8" dry wall on the interior of west walls, etc., to name a few things. Oh, and all heating and cooling has since been replaced (after 29 years of good service) with high efficient units.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm about the same as you . Ditched the dinosaur A/c unit for a 1.5 ton heat pump, serves both summer and winter, although when it drops to -35 degrees C when still use natural gas furnace. Also the LG inverter compressor fridge ( non linear one)has drastically dropped the energy usage.
The two stage air to air heat pumps are really good these days. I'm thinking about getting a little 12,000 btu/hr(heating, 9000 cooling) Fujitsu heat pump. It has a 33 SEER rating and is good down to -15°F. 4-5 times more efficient than electric resistance heating and probably 3-4 times more efficient than a window unit AC.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The two stage air to air heat pumps are really good these days. I'm thinking about getting a little 12,000 btu/hr(heating, 9000 cooling) Fujitsu heat pump. It has a 33 SEER rating and is good down to -15°F. 4-5 times more efficient than electric resistance heating and probably 3-4 times more efficient than a window unit AC.
Installed (by heating contractor) one of those exact units in a garage to fancy bunkhouse conversion/renovation project for a customer this spring.
But sort of off topic. If anyone really thinks they are going to get by for any extended period of time with a generator and live "normally", I wish them well.