Diesel fuel quality question?

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
In the older ALH,BEW diesel motors.. is there any benefit to spending more on the shell v power LS stuff or is regular diesel suffice? Curious of peoples inputs, thanks

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I notice a small hit in mpg with reserve diesel. It typically balanced out any savings for me.

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
The holistic benefits of V-power are expensive and probably worth it, maybe...
But I'm more inclined to believe that your VW's wiring and body will corrode and wear out faster than the engine.

I think they're preying on our suspicion that *basic* diesel isn't good enough.
However, there's a minimum requirement of additives in all fuels sold to commercial fuel stations. All versions of commercial grade ULSD are reinforced with additives to make up for it's lack of sulfur.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've always suspected that the "premium" diesel some stations sell in the US is the same as their regular diesel. Usually stations only have one grade, so it's unlikely they're blending. In Canada the premium is (or used to be) different. My cars ran noticeably better on that fuel.

But I don't think running whatever you can find will have any significant impact on engine life.

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
Thanks guys, I was curious, I'll switch to the regular diesel for a few fill ups and monitor.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The only thing I noticed on my 2000 beetle was when running lower quality fuel from Walmart. It pulled mileage down between 10 and 15%. This was before ULSD so not sure if there would be as much difference now. I did notice one tank of the truck from a Speedway that was really poor but that might have been a higher winter treatment or even a percentage of D1 in the tank. It was northern Indiana, so they should not have been using D1 but who knows.