Diesel fuel additives

jfeldser1568

TDI
2012 Audi A3 wagon S line
Hello everyone! I'm James Feldser and new to the forum. I own a 2012 Audi A3 TDI wagon. I'm new to the TDI world but loving it so far. My question is: What diesel fuel is recommended and what if any fuel additives are needed. Thanks!

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
it dont hurt to use a fuel additives from time to time a clean fuel system will give You back the best fuel economy & Performance possible. about every 3-4 tankfull i will run some top tier shell V-Power Diesel through my 2012 TDI (Just for Giggles) dont!! do what this guy did on youtube he reused his old dirty oily diesel back in his fuel tank to run his vehicle are You Kidding.!! :eek: lol :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL_sZF53K5o

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I am a firm believer in always using quality proven fuel. Chevron has the highest cetain number around and its not at some isolated area where it sits and collects moisture. I also add 2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to every tank. I dont trust Ca. fuel to lubricate well.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I've been driving Diesel cars since the 80's and buy my Diesel at high turnover stations. The least expensive Diesel without going out of my way for it.

I have no brand loyalty and have never ever had a problem.

One thing I do though, I use PowerService silver year round since I am never in freezing temperatures and add about 8oz per tank.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I've been driving Diesel cars since the 80's and buy my Diesel at high turnover stations. The least expensive Diesel without going out of my way for it.

I have no brand loyalty and have never ever had a problem.

One thing I do though, I use PowerService silver year round since I am never in freezing temperatures and add about 8oz per tank.
Good point on going to high turn over stations also.
Do you notice any idle, mileage, soot load or? differances good or bad using additive?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Good point on going to high turn over stations also.
Do you notice any idle, mileage, soot load or? differances good or bad using additive?
Question not directed at me but I'll answer it...

I've tried a few different additives over the years. Only 1 has given me any noticeable improvement. It reduces soot dramatically, like 75% less soot in the oil analysis. I can see it on the dipstick when I check my oil, it doesn't get pitch black anymore and it takes around 5K miles before it even starts to get dark. My last analysis on my 2.8 duramax only had 0.1% soot in 8k miles. I'm overdue for an oil change in my '03 Golf and I'll have another data point when that sample gets analyzed but it had the same effect on that car. The oil is dark, but isn't pitch black and it has 11k miles of mixed driving on it. I'm sure the soot % will be low on that sample as well.

I can only assume there is enhanced combustion occurring because of the additive which is the cause of the soot reduction. Also noticed a ~ 2% increase in avg. MPG since using it, however the 2.8 is also new so the increase could be due to engine break in as well.

TL;DR Some diesel additives work and others do not.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
True ..some Diesel additives work better than others since this is my 1st diesel TDI i have owned i have not used any pour in cleaning additive for the fuel yet i will say however. that in my past Gasoline vehicles i have had luck using BG products like 44K, Moa that made a difference in how smooth and stronger afterword my engine ran it worked for me. even the U.S. millitary fleet has used bg products to maintane there fleet so theres no question its an excellent additive i will be trying some BG 245 in the TDI some day since amazon has some really good reviews from everyday people that have posted there experience's using it.
https://www.amazon.com/BG-245-Premium-Diesel-Cleaner/product-reviews/B01DQ9AF1A

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Only 1 has given me any noticeable improvement. It reduces soot dramatically, like 75% less soot in the oil analysis. Also noticed a ~ 2% increase in avg. MPG since using it.
What product are you referring to?

i will say however. that in my past Gasoline vehicles i have had luck using BG products like 44K, Moa that made a difference in how smooth and stronger afterword my engine ran it worked for me.
https://www.amazon.com/BG-245-Premium-Diesel-Cleaner/product-reviews/B01DQ9AF1A
BG is amazing stuff for cleaning up internals, you can really feel the difference.

J_schwaa

TDI
Soon to be 2013 A3
I've tried a few different additives over the years. Only 1 has given me any noticeable improvement. It reduces soot dramatically, like 75% less soot in the oil analysis. I can see it on the dipstick when I check my oil, it doesn't get pitch black anymore and it takes around 5K miles before it even starts to get dark. My last analysis on my 2.8 duramax only had 0.1% soot in 8k miles. I'm overdue for an oil change in my '03 Golf and I'll have another data point when that sample gets analyzed but it had the same effect on that car. The oil is dark, but isn't pitch black and it has 11k miles of mixed driving on it. I'm sure the soot % will be low on that sample as well.
I can only assume there is enhanced combustion occurring because of the additive which is the cause of the soot reduction. Also noticed a ~ 2% increase in avg. MPG since using it, however the 2.8 is also new so the increase could be due to engine break in as well.
What additive are you using? I'm purchasing my first TDI - 2013 A3 TDI next week.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
On any vehicle with some high miles on it Anytime the fuel system & the internal engine is cleaned out along with
the Intake manifold & Valves cleaned it can make a pretty big difference on performance & Fuel economy especially
when using BG products power & fuel econo are restored to when the vehicle was new. have a look for Yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RHI3Vi4JRI

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1

Longest dramatic pause in history :) (waiting for additive name patiently) :)

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I've tried a few different additives over the years. Only 1 has given me any noticeable improvement. It reduces soot dramatically, like 75% less soot in the oil analysis. I can see it on the dipstick when I check my oil, it doesn't get pitch black anymore and it takes around 5K miles before it even starts to get dark.
Longest dramatic pause in history :) (waiting for additive name patiently) :)
And it is ????????????
This member seems to have done this in other threads, hmmmmm. A quick search. One for example
forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=499384

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
Marathon stations add STP which has kept both the TDIs running smooth. However, from time to time I'll stupidly put some other brand in and I'll get hesitation then I'll add a full can of Seafoam and it clears up in about 25 miles.