Diesel Fuel Additives - What are you using?

Homerjj

TDI
1984 Jetta Turbodiesel, 1983 Caddy AAZ, 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I've been using Power Service, white and gray for the respective seasons.

I guess I'm looking at what others are using? And perhaps why?

thanks

& happy Canadian Thanksgiving.. :)

Aivars

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
Howes diesel treat in winter, meaner cleaner in summer. Had good luck with those in my diesel trucks. Not sure if it actually does anything but price is cheap when on sale lol.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
White Power Service for lubricity and gel protection all year round since I stopped using biodiesel.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I'm using Power service Diesel Kleen grey bottle for lubricity and injector cleaning, but only because someone told me it was a good idea...

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Power service white.... This product can safely remove water from the fuel system. And as usual i always fill up with RoadMaster XL premium diesel with bio. Howes works really well too and 80% of OTR trucks use it. Water will kill our injectors so power service white it is. If i wasnt running bio i would worry about fuel lubricity. In the spicer report power service white actual makes diesel have a lower lubricity number.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Always use power service, WHITE bottle, summer it winter.
Just because it has the additional additive to control water that the GREY bottle version DOES NOT HAVE.
A Few drops if water, either from condensation, temperature change (fuel cools off, water comes out if suspension), etc can damage injectors and the HPFP....
YES, they are warranties on them post fix, but why deal with the stress if a few ¢ of additional additive will prevent it.
Same for lubrication....more isn't bad, and the warranty only lasts so long.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I use Opti-Lube products, but PS will do in a pinch.
I usta use Optilube too. I switched to Power Service because it removes water from the sytem. Optilube displaces water and leaves it in the system. That worried me.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I use PS grey all the time,but don't live where it freezes. Have used for 10yrs and no fuel issues on 2 TDI's a ,2.0 and 3.0.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Formulated diesel Additives that have anti-gel properties or “All in one” blends contain Naptha or other light petroleum distillates which dilute the other dispersants, cetane boosters, detergents and can actually reduce overall lubricity of the fuel.

You’re better off switching between a summer formula and a winter formula based on the ambient temperature.

I use amalgamated TDR-FL year round as I live in a very mild climate. I buy it in bulk and add 10ml/gal which is 400:1. Costs $0.10/gal

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like good stuff. The closest spot looks a bit far from me though.
I'm curious how much this costs compared to regular diesel.
It’s only sold in CA. Sometimes it’s the same price as D#2. Compared to top tier stations like Chevron and Shell it’s about $0.10-0.20 cheaper per gallon. Last time I filled up I paid $3.899/gal. It’s been this price for quite awhile here in NorCal.

It burns very clean but you’ll take a hit on MPGs though and slightly less power. Expect 10% less distance per tank in my experience. It’s a very dry fuel so I always use an additive to ensure adequate lubricity.

‘09 Jetta 6MT consistently averages 33 MPGs on HPR with my 70/30 hwy/city driving cycle.

‘17 Canyon Duramax ATX averages 24 MPGs on HPR, same driving cycle.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Dash of 2 stroke oil mix, especially in the winter.

Getting dpf replaced around 70k per paperwork, and once out of warranty, delete it is.

So for the time being a dash of oil for every fill.

Fuel costs are mislead for me now. Im averaging under 500 gallons a year, so I just get it delivered in bulk 500 tank. What little I have to grab in a pinch from road fuel pumps isn't a big deal. I just make sure to top off before I leave for the weekend.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
DieselKleen since I share the bottle with my F250 powerstroke.

I'd try HPR, but only in my truck ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
none except a little PS white when I remember, were going through 15 gal every two weeks so we're pretty fresh.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I've been using Power Service, white and gray for the respective seasons. I guess I'm looking at what others are using? And perhaps why? thanks & happy Canadian Thanksgiving.. :)

Aivars

In the 21 years that I've been driving diesels, I've learned to buy and use whatever is on sale. From what I've learned, every brand uses the same additives to mix its own special formula. While the ratios might be proprietary, the chemical make up is not.

:)

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
It burns very clean but you’ll take a hit on MPGs though and slightly less power. Expect 10% less distance per tank in my experience. It’s a very dry fuel so I always use an additive to ensure adequate lubricity.

That's odd, I always thought HPR had higher cetane (around 65 according to Propel). My original thought was since D2+DieselKleen was about HFRR 575, and standalone HPR was 500, I would take it out of convenience.

Both my oil burners right now have been running HPR since day one, and I have a extra bottle of DieselKleen. I was considering running one on D2 for a month with additives and see if I felt any difference.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Optilube XPD (used to use silver/white diesel clean prior) and Walmart 2 stroke oil in every tank of every TDI I've ever owned since 2005.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
That's odd, I always thought HPR had higher cetane (around 65 according to Propel). My original thought was since D2+DieselKleen was about HFRR 575, and standalone HPR was 500, I would take it out of convenience.

Both my oil burners right now have been running HPR since day one, and I have a extra bottle of DieselKleen. I was considering running one on D2 for a month with additives and see if I felt any difference.
I believe the cetane value of HPR is closer to 75. The pressure curve is different for high cetane fuels like GTL and HVO. Short ignition delay means the curve is longer and flatter with lower peak cylinder pressure. It's also a lower density fuel so it makes sense it would have less MPGs.

I did read a white paper once where there where able to recover some lost efficiency with high cetane fuels by custom tuning an engine to run off of it exclusively. I would guess they made some timing and quantity adjustments for the short ignition delay. It would be nice to have a DSP4 switch for different fuels so you can switch tunes based on what you're filling up with.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
If it gets below 40* where u live u need to use something. Or dont and when u gel up ull start using it then. Always use the product as the label says and use it every fill up when cold. Most of the members here dont want to deal with fuel related problems even if a warranty is gona cover it cause its our time thats wasted. These additives also remove water from the fuel system which is very important. A quick google search on water in diesel fuel will show u all you need to know and if you still skeptical get to know ur local dealer.