Diesel at warehouse club?

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Does anyone have a Costco or BJ's or even a grocery store, Stop and Shop around here sells gas, that carries diesel?

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I don't have your answer but www.gasbuddy.com might aid in your search.

The wholesale clubs here don't carry diesel. Fred Meyer, Safeway and QFC carry diesel which is a bit cheaper than Chrevron, Shell, 76, etc. As I recall, the grocery stores I listed aren't in your area.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
bmike:

I've never seen any of the ones in my area have diesel fuel available.

Dan

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
BJs here in Webster, NY (suburb of Rochester) has diesel, and is the best price in my neck of the woods. That's where I fill up.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Ted:

Which Sam's Club have you seen D2 available at? I used to buy RUG at the location in Hodgkins when I still had a gasser, but AFAIK they don't have D2 available there. BTW, Sam's Club's website isn't much help if you're trying to see what's available fuel wise.

Dan

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
To be honest, I've never filled up with diesel in Illinois at Sam's Club. IIRC the only one in the Chicagoland area with diesel pumps is in Evanston. They used to have a nice store lookup where you can specify you only want D2 pumps but as usual the constant crapification of websites means it's gone away now.

Back in the People's Republic of Maryland, I used to frequent a newish Sam's Club in Severn for D2 with great success.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Maybe they don't want to deal with larger trucks and such. Thanks for the replies.

tele

TDI
2010 JSW
Does anyone have a Costco or BJ's or even a grocery store, Stop and Shop around here sells gas, that carries diesel?
i have never seen diesel at one of the above here in western new england. however, i was filling up at local chain, o'connell's and they will start accepting Stop&Shop gas points for diesel, so they can save some $$$$$. clerk was unsure when it was going to start though.:rolleyes:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
No joy at Chicagoland Sam's Clubs

Volks:

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to Sam's Club customer service asking whether any of the Chicagoland locations carry Diesel fuel. Today I got a response from them saying that NONE of the locations in the Chicagoland area carry diesel:(.

Dan

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
There's a Sam's Club northwest of Baltimore that has diesel for a few pennies less than the surrounding stations.
Right now I'm over $100/month in diesel costs - thankfully summer blend is back and I'm getting closer to 50mpg per tank.

If I save 5 cents per gallon at Sam's, 360 gallons a year average, that comes to a whopping 18 dollars a year savings - I think it costs $45 a year to have a membership.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
AHA! Found it, buried on their stupidly laid out website: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagedetails/content.jsp?pageName=fuelCenter

You only get to see one state's worth at the time, but AoU, here's what locations it claims have diesel in Illinois:

2450 Main St.
Evanston, IL 60202
Club #6444 Mon - Sat 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Diesel Available

I think it's very odd that the one location near Chicago proper what has diesel is in hoity toity Evanston. No locations in Indiana are listed as dispensing diesel, but this one just NW of Kenosha is:

3300 Brumback Blvd
Somers, WI 53140
Club #6331 Mon - Sat 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Diesel Available

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
There's a Sam's Club northwest of Baltimore that has diesel for a few pennies less than the surrounding stations.
Right now I'm over $100/month in diesel costs
That Sam's always had silly high fuel prices, as did the entire Owings Mills / Reistertown area. I was often down near BWI and the one in Severn was frequently 20¢ per gallon less than in the city, well worth it to fill up there.

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
That Sam's always had silly high fuel prices, as did the entire Owings Mills / Reistertown area. I was often down near BWI and the one in Severn was frequently 20¢ per gallon less than in the city, well worth it to fill up there.
I work close to BWI, and fuel here is significantly lower than Owings Mills where I live.

If you're in my neighborhood and need a roof - you're welcome to crash at my place.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Stop and Shop-Shell Diesel

Here in NE Stop n' Shop rewards cards can get you big discounts on gas. That's great, but since I've switched to diesel, I couldn't take advantage of reduced fuel prices, until now! Stop 'n Shop recently set up a relationship with Shell for the rewards card. I went to a Shell in Foxboro, MA selling diesel for $4.03/gal, which is actually not too bad as most other places are much higher. With my Stop 'n Shop card, the price was $3.33/gal!:D

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If you have a Costco membership, you can get their amex. It gives 3% back for fuel up to $3000 or $75 max per fill. It them drops to a 1% rebate. Not bad as long as you don't carry a balance. The rebates have paid for two flat screens in the last two years. Also helps to offset some of the pain at the pump knowing that you get a small portion of it back.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If you have a Costco membership, you can get their amex. It gives 3% back for fuel up to $3000 or $75 max per fill. It them drops to a 1% rebate. Not bad as long as you don't carry a balance. The rebates have paid for two flat screens in the last two years. Also helps to offset some of the pain at the pump knowing that you get a small portion of it back.
...except that Costco doesn't sell diesel and Sam's Club doesn't accept Amex! :(

The Costco Amex is especially nice if you also have the executive membership, you get separate rebates from Costco and American Express. Since going this route nearly a decade ago, every year it paid for itself and several new toys or a month of groceries.

If I could only shop at two stores (for non-fuel purchases ;) ), it'd be Costco and McMaster-Carr in a heartbeat.