dies

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
96 passat tdi. 280,000 miles. Running strong and then dies while driving. Wait a few minutes and starts. Drive a ways and runs strong and then will shut off again. Where should I look?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Also look for chafed wires around the fuel pump, these are known for doing that but most of the time they won't restart after waiting, so I doubt it's that.

A quick way to tell is the next time the car won't start, jumper the battery terminal to the top of the fuel pump shutoff solenoid (8mm nut holding on a single black/white wire). If the car then starts, it's the 109 relay. Jumpering it bypasses the relay and should allow it to start, if that's the problem.

The 109 relay is cheap and you should order two so you have a spare.

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
I hooked a wire from the positive battery post to the pump solenoid and it didn't start. Anything else I should check?

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
65535 - internal control module memory error 37- 10 = faulty - intermittent

00550 - start of injection regulation - control difference - intermittent

I spliced some new vacuum hose onto the one that goes to the computer because it was getting too short. It doesn't die anymore so I guess that was the main problem. Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

I'm still wondering why I'm getting those to faults. Can you suggest anything concerning that. I am going to get a new 109 just in case.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Also look for chafed wires around the fuel pump, these are known for doing that but most of the time they won't restart after waiting, so I doubt it's that.
Those codes COULD be related to what Mark referred to up here.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
The RELAY 109 is not the same as the N109. Relay is under the knee pad and will not allow starting at all, big clue is the glow plug light will not come on. N109 is the fuel cutoff solenoid.

greasenut

TDI
99 newbeetle 01 golf
Hi all
First post...not sure if in the right place but here goes anyway. I put a test lite on my n109 and got in the car and turned the ignition on, it lit up for a few seconds and I heard a relay and the light went out. I would think it would have power continually.
The car won't start but does kick.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It does not stay on continuously.

Please start your own thread so everyone will find it easier. Also make sure to post in the proper forum so the experts in the forum will be more likely to help.

Welcome aboard!