Died- no start

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
04 Golf TDI, I have owned this since new, now has 160K. Yesterday morning drove to Aldi, bought groceries, started car and drove about 100 ft. when it died and would not restart. No trouble lights, fuel tank 7/8 full, good battery. Car has CAT fuel filter since new,timing belt and turbo replaced by dieselgeek at 100K or so, regular maintenance. Towed home and scanned with vag-com. No codes. Checked every fuse I am aware of, swapped 109 with known good one, no change.
I am old and sure that I am forgetting something here. This seems electrical and I have the feeling there is a fuse somewhere that I am forgetting so I ask for your help.
The fuel lift pump seems to be working what should I check next?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Fuel lift or tandem pump seems most likely. Could also be air blockage or big pipes came loose. only 'lectric thing I can think of is injector harness. Never hurts to check fuses.
ASV could also do this, but seems unlikely it would close after the cars been running.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Did you pull the timing cover off and look at the timing belt? I've seen them jump time, and that can cause the same symptoms you're having.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, check that belt first. Just unclip the top TB cover have a look, rotate engine a couple times to get a good look. Didn't think of that earlier, but snapped or trashed timing belt is the first thing to check.

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Update: Checked lift pump and seemed weak, but when hotwired with a 12v power supply pumped steady output. Changed Cat 1R-0750 filter, could not get much from output prior to changing although filter only has about 5K on it. Checked Timing belt and no obvious flaws, wear or indication that it would have jumped a tooth. Checked air intake and all clear, filter is fine, still no start. Gave a brief shot of ether in intake and kicked a few times when cranked. tried again and it started....runs fine. When I changed the fuel filter I did fill it with known good diesel that was treated with booster. Tank is 3/4 full so who knows. Seems to be starting fine now. Fuel filter? I did put some octane booster treatment in the tank.
Still no codes or any indication on vag-com. Thanks for the advice.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Update: Checked lift pump and seemed weak, but when hotwired with a 12v power supply pumped steady output. Changed Cat 1R-0750 filter, could not get much from output prior to changing although filter only has about 5K on it. Checked Timing belt and no obvious flaws, wear or indication that it would have jumped a tooth. Checked air intake and all clear, filter is fine, still no start. Gave a brief shot of ether in intake and kicked a few times when cranked. tried again and it started....runs fine. When I changed the fuel filter I did fill it with known good diesel that was treated with booster. Tank is 3/4 full so who knows. Seems to be starting fine now. Fuel filter? I did put some octane booster treatment in the tank.
Still no codes or any indication on vag-com. Thanks for the advice.
Do the timing check with vag-com. (Watch the torsion value and see what or shows. )

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Could be a crank position sensor being flaky......it doesn’t always give you a code......and definitely won’t start the car......