Did my car blow up?

ALH-Jetta-wagon

TDI
03 jetta wagon
I was driving to my friend's house yesterday (very short trip 3 minutes) and I was going up the hill to his house and out of nowhere my car just revved all the way up in the middle of a shift. Put out a ton of white smoke and shut off... I rolled in to his drive way tried to start it again and nothing idk what happened!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Daughters car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Sounds like a runaway. The video is not necessarily for enjoyment purposes.

jmodge

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 5speed daily commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/502's backroad cruiser
If it’s not toast, it’s close. Not totally unrepairable, but probably costly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, sounds like a runaway.... but as to why...??? In any case, you may want to check the compression but it may have done some severe internal damage.

jmodge

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 5speed daily commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/502's backroad cruiser
Great videos, I wish I would’ve got a video of the Cat in a garbage truck running away, but I was too busy running away myself. Kind of like the time my buddy, Captain Combustion, lit a gas can on fire by squirting gas from the vent hole on to a fire. Missed that one too.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
So is that really the best thing to do with a run away is to put it in 6th and dump the clutch (of course if you have a manual)?

Will that action not harm the tranny?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
So is that really the best thing to do with a run away is to put it in 6th and dump the clutch (of course if you have a manual)?

Will that action not harm the tranny?
It will not harm the tranny.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
At this point, turn the crank by hand until you can verify that the timing on the head to crank is still correct.
Turbo is shot most likely. Definitely a runaway but the fact you were able to shut it down means it was minor and probably a sluggish of oil from.the intercooler.
You might have pistons that the bows are full of oil. Do not crank it until you are able to pull the glow plugs or you still risk bending rods.
Imo it needs to be inspected by somone qualified before attempting to start.
Probably is salvageable but you can make it much worse right now.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
He didn't say how long it took to shut down...
True but any key off turn off is still better than a real out of control. Its happend some times that the IP was over fueling. Might actually be ok.
Compression test will tell the truth.

jmodge

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you notice any white smoke rolling out the exhaust?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't have a chance to shut it off it did it by it self it only lasted like 3 seconds
you mean to say, you had a runaway and after 3 seconds of it revving at ridiculously high RPM's with white smoke coming out of it that it just shut off on its own, yea thats a completely different story bro. the engine is 100% fubar and probably isn't worth the repairs. THE ASV would have shut it off the moment you turned the key but either way it seems "again" that it didn't work or do the job in time to save the engine. or does this one even have an ASV?