Did my 98 Jetta come with keyless remote?

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
I got my car with only ONE key, and it was a valet key. I had a new master key made for $15 at the original VW dealer (far away in Florida). They had all the records on their computer, but VW keeps those records to themselves, much to my frustration.

I'm wondering now if my car had a keyless entry also. It has a red indicator light on the driver door, and the passenger door has no lock cylinder. I haven't looked inside the dash yet for any kind of control box.

Any ideas?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes it had keyless entry. Want to double check? Pull out the headlight switch and look inside the dash, if you see a white box back in there you have keyless, if it's silver metal you don't.

-J

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
If you have keyless/remote then you can buy a used banjo key fob on ebay. There is a method to program the key fob for your vehicle. Not too difficult. It is in the Bentley manual...and on this site via search.

shadowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
My '98, which I bought 2 months ago with 217k miles, came with two keys (one ignition, one everything else) plus an Enforcer key fob.

FlyGuy2480

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI (A3 platform, AHU engine)
Jettas came with two master keys, two "banjo" wireless key fobs, and one valet key. You can purchase a new or used banjo online (eBay is your best bet for both). Programming a remote is simple, even if it was previously programmed to operate another Jetta.

Note that 1998 Jettas came with two different types of banjos which look identical but are not interchangeable. I think the difference might be between US and Canadian models, but I am not sure. Luckily, I also have a 1998 VW Jetta TDI which originated from a dealer in Florida, so chances are you need to look for the same banjo type that I have, which has "FCC ID: M3GHU01WT CLARION" engraved on the back. The other type has something else engraved on the back. Most eBay retailers will give this number to you as a "part number." The link schultp gave you has a banjo with the correct number. I wasn't able to verify the one on the link you gave.

Here's the programming instructions that worked for me.

1) Insert one key into the ignition and turn to the "on" position, i.e. the position you would have it in while driving. Note that the engine does not need to be running.
2) With the other key, lock the driver's door, and hold it in the lock position (about 5 seconds) until the horn beeps three times. This puts the car in the programming mode. Any remotes that were previously programmed with the car will be erased from the memory.
3) Press any button on all the remotes you would like to work with this car (one at a time). You will hear one horn beep for each remote the car recognizes. You can program up to four remotes to work with one car.
4) Turn and hold the key in the lock position again until you hear three beeps. This exits the programming mode. You may now unlock the car and remove both keys. To verify, test all of the remotes.

You can program one remote to work with as many cars as you like.

Last edited:

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Thanks, Flyguy! I think I just ordered the Cabrio, rather than Clarion, but it has the same number anyway as the one you give. 1EM937047A is the parts number from Auburn VW.

It sounds like our cars are sisters!

I have only one key, which is a slight problem. I'm looking for ways to assign a new remote using the VCDS.

Last edited:

FlyGuy2480

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI (A3 platform, AHU engine)
Thanks, Flyguy! I think I just ordered the Cabrio, rather than Clarion, but it has the same number anyway as the one you give. 1EM937047A is the parts number from Auburn VW.

It sounds like our cars are sisters!

I have only one key, which is a slight problem. I'm looking for ways to assign a new remote using the VCDS.
To my knowledge, for Mk3 generation, it is not possible to program a banjo to the car using VCDS, though I am only about 95% certain of this. If you find a way, please let me know. I am always eager to learn something new.

Didn't you say you had a new master key made? So now you should have two keys, a master and a valet, right? That should be sufficient to program the banjo.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Here's the programming instructions that worked for me...
I just programmed a new remote. This procedure worked well with one small exception: I had to turn and hold the door lock in the UNLOCK position to enter/exit programming mode. Not sure if that's a small variance between model years or alarm modules. So try it both ways if one way does not work. :)

Scott