Did i just destroy my brand new VNT17?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Man, what a rough year this has started out to be and I continue to not make it any easier.....

I installed my brand new Garrett VNT17 in febuary but did NOT clock it 90degrees before the install.
Then I paid taxes and was uncomfortably broke and did not order new gaskets til recently...

Today, I removed the PD150 intake mani. Turbo is out and I hastely jumped into clocking the outlet 90 degrees.

In my ignorance, or lack of understand (that i thought i had), I stupidly removed the FIVE 10mm Bolts holding the core of the turbo rather than the Six 8mm for the proper outlet housing...........................

It is now back together, in that, I have clocked the proper part of the turbo and I believe I have the housing back in its original location(although im nervous of the actuators placement internall...?)

I think I am recognizing shaft play left to right(Like a flag pole shaking) but zero play in and out.
The turbine rotates freely as i remember and I dont visually recognize it hitting the walls at all; but who knows at hundreds of thousands of RPMs.........

What would you do?
fork over the $800 on a new turbo and never look back? Buy a VNT15($700) and forget about the upgrade all together?
Install this turbo, crank it up and see if i hear a noise?

Kind of at a loss on what to do, and as this just happened I havent fully thought through my mistake..

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
In and out play should be zero. Side to side is acceptable as long as the compressor wheel does not touch the housing. As long as the vane actuator moves freely still, you should be fine. Also, they don't run at hundred of thousands of rpms, probably closer to 20-30k rpms. I'd run it man.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The 10mm bolts just hold the core to the exhaust side with vnt etc, there's a little pin that lines up with a hole on the housing and the vnt lever needs to be lined up.

As long as that's all good you're fine.

Fill the turbo with oil before hooking up the oil feed and firing the engine up. Let it idle away till the engines warmed up and take it easy for the 1st 100 miles.

That was the info I got with my new turbo recently.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Turbskies back in. Will do the intercooler piping tomorrow morning and see where i am at.

Edit: I just need to button up the PD150 intake/air filter. 3 Bar Map sensor. MAF and afew odds and ends(use spacers/bolts to mount intercooler)

Getting close to being able to achedule a tune.

Last edited:

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Later this morning I will be running the car for its first full warmup cycle and take it to the grocery store 2 miles away.

Per your other thread, After my turbo snapped I towed it home and never tried cranking it up until the new turbo was in. I also never had metal near or in my ASV, so sounds like we may be in "different" boats(but very similar events originally)

Your pics are identicle to mine, except my shaft is no longer existing like yours(where the nuts looks like it backed out)
turbo damage wise, we are basically twins.

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
Later this morning I will be running the car for its first full warmup cycle and take it to the grocery store 2 miles away.

Per your other thread, After my turbo snapped I towed it home and never tried cranking it up until the new turbo was in. I also never had metal near or in my ASV, so sounds like we may be in "different" boats(but very similar events originally)

Your pics are identicle to mine, except my shaft is no longer existing like yours(where the nuts looks like it backed out)
turbo damage wise, we are basically twins.

Worst twins ever. Srsly.

It's light chaff. We will see. If it starts idles decent and smoke clears after I block oil feed at filter housing I'm going to throw a turbo on it and run it.

Fingers crossed

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Smoke may not clear up for awhile unless you clear out the exhaust(or atleast downpipe) from whay I have read in another thread. depending how much oil went into the exhaust. Ill keep checking your thread for updates. good luck to you!

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
I have a few miles on the new turbo build and so far so good!! I will order new axles and reach out to the local Malone Tuners and get that scheduled.

In the meantime, I think I will take her for a slow and steady 40 mile cruise to warm things up and get things settled.
Here's hoping the same here. Happy for you. Normally I would do a motor build and upgrade the turbo etc. Its just 100% out of the cars right now.

Fast cheap reliable. Pick two. I'm cheap reliable. Even then these aren't quite cheap.

(Immediate DLC764 AND 11mm Bosch reman when buying car)