Did all dealers raise their oil/filter prices?

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
I went to the dealer a couple days ago to pick up everything i needed for an oil change as well as a fuel filter change on my 2010.

I only bought 4 quarts of oil since I have a partial to use up from previous changes. So I got 4 quarts of LL03 oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and drain plug. Came out to $90 even, no tax here. I compared receipts when I got home and they raised the price of oil per quart by 25 cents, the oil filter by a couple bucks and the fuel filter by $4. I basically paid the same price that I did last time I bought the same thing plus another quart of oil.

Have everyone else's prices gone up to? I'm not usually so cheap, but it was already high enough. Next time I have to do both it'll cost me $100 for an oil/fuel filter change. I might consider buying somewhere else next time.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I suggest there are places online where you might find better prices. There are also supporting vendors on this forum who would supply the exact O&F package you need, and I suspect the price would be competitive.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
Yeah I usually order most other things from ECS, and they are cheaper on oil and filters than the dealer by a small amount, but with shipping it's still more.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
AFAIK, dealerships set their own prices, NOT VWoA.

An increase of 25 cents a quart? I wouldn't even blink at that.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
No, the oil didn't annoy me, but the fuel filter price did. I merely mentioned all of those because everything I bought was an increase over last time to some degree.

scottydog

TDI
2015 Passat SE DSG
it'll cost me $100 for an oil/fuel filter change. I might consider buying somewhere else next time.
If I got by with $100 or less at the dealer for oil change and fuel filter I would worry that the police would arrest me for theft. I'm a lot more worried about the 40k charge with the DSG service.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
So I got 4 quarts of LL03 oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and drain plug. Came out to $90 even, no tax here.

I might consider buying somewhere else next time.
IDParts, 20k service kit, CBEA/CJAA:
5 liters of 507.00 (5.28 quarts)
Oil Filter
Fuel filter
Drain plug with washer
Cabin Filter
=$79.95
add shipping at $4.95
=$84.90

If VW charges you $10 for a quart of 507, and $10 for a cabin filter, then you are saving over $25. (Not counting drive time and cost per mile to the dealer and back, which may be nominal).

BoraParts and other vendors that support the site will be similarly/ competitively priced.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
If I got by with $100 or less at the dealer for oil change and fuel filter I would worry that the police would arrest me for theft. I'm a lot more worried about the 40k charge with the DSG service.
I feel for you on that one...when I got mine done I paid $333. Due again in 10k miles. I'm sure it went up if they raised their fluid prices. I''m expecting closer to $400 next time.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I feel for you on that one...when I got mine done I paid $333. Due again in 10k miles. I'm sure it went up if they raised their fluid prices. I''m expecting closer to $400 next time.
$333 for a 20k service? The ONLY thing that's sloppy about the 20k service is the oil change (find a dealer special around $75-80). Fuel filter is a breeze, ditto cabin filter.
Dealer cost for oil/filters HAS to be less than IDParts (retail $80). $250 for labor is HUGE!!!

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
$333 for a 20k service? The ONLY thing that's sloppy about the 20k service is the oil change (find a dealer special around $75-80). Fuel filter is a breeze, ditto cabin filter.
Dealer cost for oil/filters HAS to be less than IDParts (retail $80). $250 for labor is HUGE!!!
Read it again, he originally said 40k DSG service, and that's what I was talking about.