Did all 2001-2003 ALH models come with side airbags?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Greetings all -

I have a side airbag message (resistance too high) that I can't clear and haven't been able to fix.

But it just occurred to me (yeah, I know, I'm slow) that maybe there's a way to disconnect the harness and use VCDS to just forgeddaboudit.

So, as the title says, I'm figuring if some models out there did not have side airbags, then I may be able to pull this off.

????

TIA!

Jud.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They all had side bags in the seats by then. The side curtain airbags showed up somewhere in 2001 or 2002.

However, the entire system is a little different, so you cannot easily mix 'n match parts. I would just find out what is wrong with your SRS and try and fix it, rather than "undo" something.

Post the specific DTC and definition, maybe we can help point you in the right direction.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I will plug in tomorrow and get the code.
I have replaced the harness below the seat and used dielectric grease to no avail.

Thanks!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Contrary to popular belief, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity, it's actually an insulator. I'd clean it out.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Contrary to popular belief, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity, it's actually an insulator. I'd clean it out.
Di-electric is neutral, it doesn't inhibit or promote electric conduction.
It is best to use in the plug seal or to lightly coat the metal to prevent oxidation.
You said side air bag, not seat air bag. They are different

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
You know it’s interesting - one reads the technical details on dielectric versus conductive, and compares with real-world results and they differ.

All I can say is that in my experience, and the experience of friends and even in threads on this forum, using dielectric grease on electrical connectors helps the connection.

Yes it’s the seat airbag. But then, I would never call the airbag in the a-pillar a side airbag since it’s at a 45 degree angle from the driver.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
How about the side curtain that drops out from above?
Anyhow I would do some conductivity tests on the wires to the airbag. And possibly deoxit the plug. Also I would check grounds because they tend to cause issues like that.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
The airbag in the a-pillar wraps all the way up the roofline back to the c pillar. It's a side airbag.
The grease can allow for the contacting surfaces of the metal to scrape clean the contacting area and allow contact while protecting the surround from oxidation.
A weak spring force in a worn connector won't necessarily overcome the grease and clean it- in those cases I've seen it hurt, not help.

On a fresh connector, a but of dielectric on the seal is the best bet to promote optimal sealing.

If dielectric was a conductor, then smearing a big blob in the connector would short the adjacent pins together.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The airbag in the a-pillar wraps all the way up the roofline back to the c pillar. It's a side airbag.
No, it is called a "head airbag", look it up. The side bag is in the seat. I can give you part numbers if you do not believe me. Semantics, I know, but there is a difference. Most call it a side curtain airbag.

The DTC will call it out by SDC code, which is why that is necessary for trying to help anyone over the internet.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Okay folks, thanks for your feedback so far. I finally got a Round Tuit and pulled out the code.

01217 Side Airbag Initer - Driver Side (N199)
32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent

The harness below the seat is good - I've checked it like a zillion times.

Thanks in advance!

Jud.