Diagnosis Help - Whirring at speed.

AlexP

Recently picked up a 2000 TDI Jetta with 220,000mi. Manual. Everything great about it. One weird thing....... Get it up to 55 or so MPH and there is a roar whirring noise coming from the front. Cannot locate it any better than that. It stops immediately when take foot off throttle. Reapply throttle and it is back. Happens in all upper gears (gears which will allow the car to travel this fast.) Below 55 not present and car appears normal. Only when torque applied to wheels, otherwise not there. Uphill not downhill. Not effected by wheel direction: turning left or right.

Does this ring any bells for you more experienced folks? Wheel bearing should not be sensitive to engine torque, CV joint would change a little based on direction, Transmission ought to be one gear or another. (Transmission not as easy shifting as others I have used, but last owner replaced fluid with VW Synthetic.)

Grateful for ideas?
Alex

AlexP

I took to dealer to see what ideas they might have. They had lots of ideas of things to do: wheel bearings, tie rod ends, tires, strut mounts, front brakes, valve cover leaking. Well the only thing that seemed like it could effect this would be the wheel bearings. So $1000 later and NO difference in the sound, I guess it is time to learn to love it.

It sounds like an older greyhound bus. I remember riding on these and you would get this very specific noise as the driver accellerated or put the power to the wheels. This is the noise.

Grateful for an ideas, otherwise going to learn to love it.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I agree this is tangential, but.... How did the dealer justify charging you $ (or you justify paying the dealer $) if the issue went unresolved? You complained about a specific issue, and it wasn't fixed.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
$1000 for replacing wheel bearings??? Holy hosing batman!!!
Alternater pulley clutch perhaps is on the way out. There's a "how to" on how to check it I believe, rather than me do a poor job on how to diagnois it.

AlexP

Holy hosing. :) Yes. They also replaced the hubs. They assured me that they needed replacing.......

So the end of the story goes like this in case anyone should find themselves with a similar predicament.

The dealer's people called me up a few days later and asked about my satisfaction with the service. Well needless to say I was not super satisfied. And a day or two later I got a call from the service manager who assured me that the problem was due to the tires being worn strangely and he offered to let me buy tires and cost and he would mount them for free and he was sure that I would be happy. I told him with a great deal of certainty that the issue was not the tires. So we made a date for him to see. When I arrived he had his mechanic come out and ride with me. I took him to the highway and he listened to the noise exactly as another mechanic from the same dealship had heard it a week or so before. This mechanic couldn't believe that the first mechanic had actually heard what he had heard, because it was obvious and a problem and cause for concern.

Well a way or so later I took it down and thsi same mechanic put "ears" on the engine and told me that the noise was coming from the final drive in the transmission. They told me that they could get a transmission from a junk yard and put it in and it would be about 2200. No warrantee. But they really didn't want to do it.

So I turned to this forum and I found Mike in WestHampton MA. I got a used transmission from JC Recyclers in Meriden CT and they loaded it in my trunk for $690 including tax. And I drove it up to Mike, who had already ordered a new clutch and flywheel kit. Mike put it all together for me. Charged me his cost for the parts and $450 for his work. So total is about $1650. Been driving a week and 400 miles. All is well.

Thank you Mike McCann