DFW GTG - Meet, drive, eat and eat some more!

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
Mark your calendars, fill your tanks (or hold out for some cheap north-of-the-border diesel) and bring your cameras!

It’s time for a summer-time jaunt through the countryside (in air conditioned comfort). Make plans to join the fun on Saturday, July 26, 2003, departing Denton, Texas, around 11:00 am. We’ll muster around 10:00 to do any last minute EGR mods or other quick diagnostics folks may be seeking.

The muster point is the Denton, TX, Cracker Barrel on I-35 at Hwy 380. For those that aren’t familiar, it’s on the north bound service road at exit 469.

From there, we’ll take the scenic route around Lake Ray Roberts, through Gainesville and up north to Ardmore for lunch at Fulton’s Fried Pies. From there we’ll travel to Turner Falls for photos, and (if we’re lucky) a spirited drive across the best curves that US 77 has to offer.

Somewhere between Turner Falls and a parade lap around Lake Murray, we’ll find time for some parking lot chat, diagnostics, tuning, trading and telling tall tales.

Dinner is tentatively scheduled as a late afternoon stop in Marietta at McGehee’s Catfish. They offer an all-you-can-eat catfish dinner for around $12 as well as two steak dinners, also in the $12 range. For the timid (or young ones), they have fabulous burgers.

If you have FRS or CB radio capabilities, the trip will be more fun, since we can chat during the drive.

I look forward to seeing you there! Hopefully we'll take some great group photos during our jaunt to the north.

Mendei

TDI
2000 Silver TDI
Try #2 at a GTG, hopefully no family reunions this time. I need some heklp with an EGR mod and maybe some settings on my new alientech window system.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Hopefully the wife and I can make this one. I have a pair of Motorola 2-way radios. They always come in handy on cruises.

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2003 Reflex Silver, 2004 NB GLS Sunflower Yellow
I'd like to meet up with you guys and maybe do the EGR mod. I live in OKC and bought my 03 Jetta GLS TDI in May. 2800 miles so far and I love it!

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
I'll firm up some destination times as the event draws nearer. Any Oklahoma folks (or anyone, for that matter) that would like to meet up along the way is welcome to e-mail me with a cell phone number so that we can talk-in to a meet.

Darron65

TDI
99 Golf 2dr, Indigo Blue
This sounds great. I can't believe you all are getting together for my birthday. So thoughtful!

I will try to attend too. I'll bring my 'puter and maybe I can learn some tricks.

Darron65

TDI
99 Golf 2dr, Indigo Blue
I hope this GTG is still a "go". I'll bring my laptop, VAG-COM updated to 303.1, GPS is working too.

I have my share of car stories and the principal driver as her share too. Lately I've been trying to reduce smoke without resorting to the block-of-wood-under-the-pedal method. Hope to see you all there!

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2003 Reflex Silver, 2004 NB GLS Sunflower Yellow
I'm still looking forward to this GTG. I plan to leave OKC at about 7:30 AM and arrive in Denton at about 10:00 AM. Hope it isn't as hot next weekend as it was this past weekend, but I plan to be there nevertheless.

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
It's still a "go"!

The weather man says it should be a little cooler than last weekend (I spent both days standing on the pavement during autocrosses)... We'll plan our "working" stops in the shade. Apart from that, we'll probably keep someone's air conditioning working pretty hard.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
We'll try and make it too! The Cracker Barrel is only about 10 miles from the house. Kids visiting this weekend, so might not be able to make the whole trip, but I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the muster point. Wouldn't hurt to have a VagCom hooked up to try and cure my rough idle as well.

Jeff in Texas
2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
220,400 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing fast!

fwtdi

TDI
NB 2000 TDI Auto Green, Jetta 2002 5Sp White
count me in too!

I may have a couple other TDI friends talked into joining us that aren't on this list.

After lunch and our photos and trek through the Arbuckle Mountains, I'll probably break away for a couple hours to retrieve our 2nd TDI that's currently parked in Norman, Oklahoma but we'll rejoin the group down the road at the shady place and for dinner a McGehee's. I have cell phones and FRS radios!

I don't have my email posted in the profile but I can be reached at mmoon1948@aol.com if more detail about this GTG is being passed out.

Mike, Fort Worth

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
The time is at hand!

It looks like our confirmed or probable attendees will be:

Tailchaser
Mendei
Texas TDI
lightwave
Darron65
crewdog5
K5ING
fwtdi + some guests?
2+ from the Vortex
1-2+ from DFW New Beetle
at least 1 from Austin!?!?

If you're still out there on the fence, come on over! Let me know so that I can post your name... The more cars we list here, the more we'll have show up on Saturday morning. Funny how that works...

I'm attaching the route this time around for those that are curious (and even for those lurkers who might opt to join us along the way).

If you have any last minute questions, I'm getting e-mails as replies are posted here. If you'd like to meet up, send an e-mail via my profile address, and we'll swap cell numbers.

I look forward to meeting you all on Saturday morning!

DFW TDI Road Trip
Denton to Turner Falls and Back Again

10:00 am
Meet at the Cracker Barrel north of 380 on the northbound service road for I-35. It’s just north of exit 469.

We’ll socialize, do an EGR mod or two and sort out the route.

11:00 am
Depart the Cracker Barrel.

Head north 1.7 miles on the service road to Loop 288.

Turn right (east) on Loop 288 and travel east 2.2 miles to FM 2164.

Turn left (north) on FM 2164 and travel approximately 8 miles to FM 455.

Turn right (east) on FM 455 and travel 9.5 miles to Hwy 377.

Turn left (north) on Hwy 377 and travel 8.5 miles to Hwy 922.

Turn left (west) on Hwy 922 and travel 7.5 miles to Hwy 372.

Turn right (north) on Hwy 372 and travel 11 miles to Anthony Street (stop sign) in Gainesville.

Turn left (west) on Anthony and then right (north) on Grand Avenue (stop sign).

Turn left (west) on Hwy 82 (stop sign after you go under the bridge).

Turn right on the I-35 service road.

Proceed north on I-35 across the Red River.

Once in Oklahoma, take the US 77 exit (Exit 1).

12:00-ish
At the stop sign, turn right and find a place to park at the Diamond Shamrock. Fuel up if you need it. Remember where it is for the way back. Diesel was $1.309 on Thursday night.

We’ll stop for a few minutes to fill, drain and chat.

Travel north on US 77 for 31 miles to 12th Avenue in Ardmore.

Turn left on 12th Avenue and then turn left on Holiday Drive, just before you reach I-35.

12:30-ish
We’ll stop for lunch at Fulton Fried Pies. We’ll leave Fulton’s some time between 1:30 and 2:00 to run up to Turner Falls.

From Fulton’s, head north on Holiday to 12th Avenue.

Turn right on 12th Avenue, then turn left (north) on US 77.

2:00-ish
We’ll travel north on US 77 approximately 20 miles (we’ll actually go past Turner Falls to take a run at the best set of curves). We’ll U-Turn just before US 77 crosses I-35 again and take the entrance to Turner Falls. We’ll stop for pictures, etc. depending on how hot it is.

From Turner falls, we’ll retrace our steps back down US 77 to US 70.

3:30-4:00-ish
Turn left (east) on US 70 and travel 6.5 miles to Hwy 77s. We’ll proceed slowly around Lake Murray and, again depending on heat and traffic, stop for photos and chat beside the lake.

From there, we’ll continue south on 77s to Hwy 32 and turn right (east) to US 77. Head south to McGehee’s on 77.

Dinner
We’ll stop for dinner at McGehee’s sometime between 4:00 and 6:00 depending on how willing we’ve been to bail out from the cars for chat.

From there, you’re on your own to head back home.

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
<shameless bump>

Less than 36 hours to go!

If you've already printed your route directions, please note that the location of the noon pit-stop and directions through Gainesville have changed. The pit-stop had gotten rather seedier since I was last there in March.

There's fresh asphalt on the first curvy half of Hwy 372 leading in to Gainesville. Oil pan eating bumps are at a minimum now that this stretch of road has been resurfaced. Watch the rail road crossing when you turn on to 922 north of Tioga.

</shameless bump>

Drizzten

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5spd, 2002, Candy White
Arrrrgh...

I just got back to actively using Fred's AND I did an Austin-Denton trip last weekend, and then I see this. No go, as much as I'd like to. Next time for sure. I'll be able to bring a TDI with me, instead of a Mazda.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Sounds like a good route. I used to take 922 every day, but I'd go straight and terrorize Lake Kiowa residents.

Just wondering what kind of communications we're going to have? Anyone else bringing a CB? I don't want to put mine in unless we have at least a couple of others having them also.

See ya Saturday!

Jeff in Texas
2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
220,517 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing fast!

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
I'll be bringing FRS gear for myself and to share. I think Texas TDI is doing the same.

Several area Radio Shacks have a mobile FRS unit on clearance for $19.99... A great buy if you do vehicle caravans from time to time. Much less noise/interference than traditional CB.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Well, while I have CB, and 2-meter ham radio, I don't have any FSR radios. Don't really have a need for them, and being that I'm out of work right now, I can't justify buying one just for one day. If anyone has an extra FSR radio that I can borrow, bring it along and I'll make sure you get it back before the end of the day. Thanks.

Jeff in Texas
2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
220,517 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing.

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
I've got at *least* 3 loaner FRS radios to pass out. Jeff... I may have you bring up the rear so that we can take advantage of the longer range of 2m amateur if we get stretched out.

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta
All event photos have been posted at:

http://wickett.org/tdi

Thanks to all who attended for making this a great event!

If you'd like a high-res copy of any or all photos of your car, let me know.

My apologies to anyone who had trouble reaching me... I didn't realize that my AT&T GSM phone didn't work in Oklahoma.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Great pictures, Lauren. The best part is that I still managed to evade your camera...

We had a great time on the run and finally got a chance to meet some of my fellow TDI fans. I also wanted to thank you for the Vag-Com adjustments you did on my Golf. Let me know when the next one is!

Jeff in Texas
2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
220,700 miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!