DFW GTG Fall 2010

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
Looks like we are going to have a decent turn out. There are probably be more people than I have chairs for. So remember to bring your folding chair with you.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I'll bring along a couple of spare, clean intake manifolds in case anyone wants to get theirs swapped out. I could also have a set of PP520 or 764 injectors on hand to swap in if anyone is interested. I usually get my spare set mounted with PP nozzles by DBW and keep 'em on the shelf, but I just installed them yesterday so I'll have to get them shipped out pronto.

Lets see, what else do I have laying around...

dieselgeek sigma 5 shifter (new)
11mm injection pump (used)
Have one set of Glass lenses for a golf, but I think ChrisW wants 'em.
a folding chair
some ridiculous 17" wheels with tires (I have a pic somewhere)

It would be cool to do a pump seal demo too. Anybody got a leaky pump?
Maybe we could get someone to film it to replace the super long how-to video currently on YouTube.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I assume you have a fridge and a microwave available? I'm bringing some chips and Velveeta/Rotel dip that will need an occasional reheating.

Sounds like it's going to be a good GTG.

runonbeer

TDI
We could just stick the tub of velveta under the hood of some hot rod for a few minutes after a test run.

Just like when aNUT and I go skiing, we make up a couple of salami and cheese sandwiches and wrap them in foil. Then we set them on his exhaust manifold, and when we come back for an afternoon break we have some nice toasty, melty manifold sandwiches waiting for us. Ummmmm, manifold sandwiches.

We keep the beer buried in the snow in front of the car.:cool:

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Another Coming

Add another to your list of those who will be looking for a chair! I'm planning on driving over from Tyler on the 13th if the weather does not turn really bad.

I know I'm not in the DFW area but I don't know any other owners in this area so I thought I'd at least see some of those whose names I've seen on the forum.

However, if there are other owners in the Tyler, Longview, Marshall area who see this, PM me and we can get together and convoy over.

runonbeer

TDI
Events have conspired against me. I will be unable to attend. Really wanted to get up there and get my tune updated to reflect the VNT 17 and PP764s I just put in. Oh well. There's always next time.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Events have conspired against me. I will be unable to attend. Really wanted to get up there and get my tune updated to reflect the VNT 17 and PP764s I just put in. Oh well. There's always next time.
Sorry to hear that, Robbie. I was looking forward to having you test drive my Golf to see if it's still in really good shape, or I'm just getting used to the high miles. See ya next time!

Jeff in Texas

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
I'm planning on coming by for a bit on the way home from work, assuming it's not another night of disasters. Unfortunately, I'm going to be in the pig iron instead of the bug. The bug is only halfway through an alternator replacement and I can't get it done this afternoon in time to sleep and drive it to work.

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
Yes we are still a go. It will be chilly, but all is well inside the shop. I will open everything up at 8am.

See y'all then.

David

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I'll be there. Need to pick up my parts from Glover anyways. Haven't seen you guys in a long time, maybe a year or more?

I'll be in the Silver 09 with the modded GLI grille I bought off a club member who now drives a (gasser) passat. :p

I will have my little rescue pup in tow, she's going to her permanent home in Chester, TX. Nice little dog. She won't cause any problems. Hope that's okay. If not, I'll just drop in and say hi to everyone.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I may pass on tomorrow as I never got any offers to help with a transmission drain and fill on the Passat. I'll just stick it in the garage at home and get to it myself. Just need to figure out a fill method.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I may not be able to make it... Worst case I will be late... Long story, short... Dead car 200 miles away, friend in the car... Hopefully something minor...

Apologies in advance, and sorry for the short notice...

As for a fill method, you just need to be able to pump fluid up in there... Older mityvacs work fine, but they might only be good for a single use... Pump until it comes out, the start the car, pump until it comes out at the right temperature.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I may not be able to make it... Worst case I will be late... Long story, short... Dead car 200 miles away, friend in the car... Hopefully something minor...

Apologies in advance, and sorry for the short notice...

As for a fill method, you just need to be able to pump fluid up in there... Older mityvacs work fine, but they might only be good for a single use... Pump until it comes out, the start the car, pump until it comes out at the right temperature.
Thanks, I have a Mityvac here and just went over the Myturbodiesel write up.

runonbeer

TDI
I just made a little hook in a piece of SS tubing that attaches to my extremely crappy hand pump. Need to find a better pump.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I just made a little hook in a piece of SS tubing that attaches to my extremely crappy hand pump. Need to find a better pump.
I'm going to clean out my 8 liter Mityvac unit and use it as a pump. All I have used it for was sucking out motor oil. I have some 5/16" copper tubing I will bend for the hook that goes into the pan bottom filler. What the heck, it's a cold (wet) day here..;)

runonbeer

TDI
Its beautiful here in Austin. I'm stuck in my shop putting a head on a Jetta. at least I can put the doors up. And I'm using my new BendPak XPR-10ACX 2 post asymetric lift for the first time. That's pretty much the reason I couldn't come up to Dallas. The thing showed up as a total suprise to me yesterday and had to spend the day installing it instead of finishing this Jetta. Need to get it done so I can give it to my brother in law and get my car back from him. Wouldn't have even had a TDI to drive to the TDI GTG:rolleyes:

How's the GTG Going BTW? Any real-time updates?

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
It was a pretty good turnout. Good people, good eats, good cars, good weather (a little nippy). It doesn't get any better than this. Feel free to check out the rest of the GTG album (hit 'previous image'...they loaded in reverse order...LOL!) .

Thanks David!

Last edited:

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
Everyone is very welcome. We had a great time today. I think that judging by the turn out today, we can try to have this more often.

Thanks for everyone's help with my car, and Suan a special thanks for running after your tools 3 or 4 times.

Here are the final results: 18x8 Enkei NT03+M's with 245/40-18 on Rokkor coilovers. I haven't had anytime to adjust the coilovers yet, that will come tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.

David

nuclear

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I may pass on tomorrow as I never got any offers to help with a transmission drain and fill on the Passat. I'll just stick it in the garage at home and get to it myself. Just need to figure out a fill method.
You need to have the tranny warm when filling, but no higher than 40 C. Vag com is useful to measure.

The hard part is getting the fluid in over the spill guard in the tranny, a snow cone pump with tubing works well. There is a kit somewhere that has this setup

doublebarrel

TDI
2015 Jetta S TDI
Had a good time,Thanks david.Sorry I had to leave before you got finished with the front end.Looks good.I got about half way home and remembered my chair was still there so I guess I have a good excuse to come back.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Dave,
Looks good. You'll definitely have to roll the fenders up front but I'm in the same boat. Glad to see the Jetta's back on its wheels though. What did you do for a 7mm allen wrench? I didn't want to bail on you with the front of your car disassembled but as it was I only made it home cause Buc ee's coffee came standard with an Espresso triple shot in it. Thanks for the help, once again, de-muffling my turbo. The car sounds a lot better and I think it's actually getting better millage. We'll have to see over time what it does.

It was nice meeting everyone, it was a fun GTG, we'll have to do it again some time.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
David: Thanks for the invite and putting it all together. Kaelyn and I had a good time, just wish that we could have stayed longer. Hopefully at the next one, I'll have my bug there and be able to play some.

Riley

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V

My green 02 Beetle

doublebarrel's green Beetle

Last edited: