Determine stock radio head unit

Goat Rodeo

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 4Door ALH 5spd 275K miles
I tried scouring the plethora of radio threads but I think I’m trying to do the opposite of most. I bought my golf recently and the kid had a broken kenwood head unit in it. I pulled that and I want to restore the stock style unit but I don’t know how to tell 1.)what system it had 2.) if it was single or double DIN as I understand puttin the wrong one is not an easy exchange.
I see a mount bracket for the cd changer in he back but no obvious evidence there was an amp (so probably not monsoon??)
It had the tweeters on the doors (so maybe premium set up?)

mainly wondering if there is anyway based just in the wires I do have to tell what used to be there/clear differences in the harness to look for.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
From memory, for the 2002 Mk IV, there is only Monsoon and non-Monsoon (the term Premium referred to the head unit series). Monsoon is generally indicated by an "amp/crossover" in the trunk (for the Golf, hidden inside the driver side trunk cubby that would also hold the CD changer), and by the head unit. The number of speakers is not the best indicator, although IIRC Monsoon systems did have 8 speakers (but later cars also seem to have 8). Most NA Mk IV cars started off single DIN head units, which were eventually available in both Monsoon and non, but single DIN units were phased out by double DIN sized units, again in both Monsoon and non. The opening size in your radio cage will indicate which size head unit your car originally came with, unless it was modified by the PO. Swaps between various Mk IV head units are possible, but a Monsoon HU will not give you a Monsoon system, (and many claim the units are the same), and swaps may require coding via VCDS for type of car and type of unit. Swaps between double and single DIN HUs will also require changing out the wiring at the rear of the head units, and kits are available to make this fairly simple. Almost all OEM swaps in this series are easier DIY projects.

Head units originate from various countries, and VW contracted with several suppliers. Others will remember the right nomenclature for these series, from Premium IV, V, and VI to Monsoon to Delta, etc. etc.

Someone with better memory (or more swaps) can chime in for confirmation (or check the vortex stereo forums).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sucks because 2002 is the split year... early cars will single DIN radios, with an optional in-dash CD player in the second DIN spot. Later cars were just the big double-DIN integral CD/radio unit. The wiring and connectors are slightly different, but as I recall if the car originally had the double-DIN unit it would have one big connector with the locking bale. The single DIN units had a smaller connector, and a bridge harness from the radio to the CD changer if equipped.

The dealer can tell you what radio your car was originally equipped with by VIN. The radio cage is the same I think, just that the cars that had the single DIN units had two pieces.... the CD player took the place of the little felt lined cubby.

Goat Rodeo

TDI
alright thanks guys. I'll probably just ask the dealer then. sounds like aftermarket would be way easier but I have some cassettes i want to play haha. gotta keep the little car quirky. If they can tell me what it came with I can find one in a junk yard or part out and see if the PO even left all the wires it should have. it looks overall intact but i honestly don't know what should be there. Cheers!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Why not replace with an RCD210 with bluetooth? Plenty of chinese reasonable priced units, and I can say I was able to keep steering wheel controls and all.

Retaining steering wheel controls depends on which system you have, pre-CAN, or like mine, some things are canbus.

Goat Rodeo

TDI
i don't have the multifunction steering wheel. though i did notice several wires for the radio that were taped off labeled for the steering. i guess in response to your questions why not aftermarket... because i haven't seen an aftermarket with cassette. lol. i really just want a cassette player and OE originally sounded like the easiest way to go.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Ha, and I really thought you were kidding about cassettes. Yup, I agree OE is the way then.