TDI
http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=89011&pg=1

September 7, 2007
Details on the new VW TDI engine at the TDIFest
by Mathieu Lapointe , Auto123.com

September 7, 2007
Details on the new VW TDI engine at the TDIFest
by Mathieu Lapointe , Auto123.com

Pointe-Claire, Quebec - Last weekend, Montreal played host to the 2007 TDIFest, a special event gathering VW TDI fans from all across North America. People were excited to show off their own car and talk about only one thing: their passion for diesel-powered VWs. The program included various workshops and lectures on just about anything TDI-related.

Volkswagen Canada executives decided to take advantage of this event to present their new 2.0-liter TDI engine, which will hit the Canadian market in 2008. In order to help journalists get familiar with this powerplant, the automaker put a 2007 Jetta at our disposal. The 2.0L TDI was mated to a 6-speed automatic Direct Shift Gear (DSG) transmission.

Obviously, this new engine garnered a lot of attention; many welcomed the latest addition to VW's engine lineup by applauding and smiling each time they heard its subtle purr (that's right, I said "subtle"). I kept hearing comments like: "It's quieter than a bunch of gasoline engines!" or "With this mill, people will finally understand that diesel can be friendly after all!"

Indeed, the absence of noise is what struck me the most. At idle, the new TDI is almost as quiet as a traditional gasoline engine. A short road test made me realize that this 2.0L is just as discreet on the highway once you reach a cruising speed. In addition, you no longer smell the diesel exhaust, usually characterized by black smoke during accelerations. Thank you VW for completely revising the exhaust system!

In terms of emissions, Patrick St-Pierre, Public Relations Manager at Volkswagen Canada, says this TDI should meet federal CO2 standards at least until 2012. You should know that the German manufacturer had no other choice but to modify its TDI engine from the ground up because the current 1.9-liter unit no longer meets the new emission regulations that came into force on January 1st, 2007.

{continued}

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Took me a second also. See link on top of entry. Takes you to the auto123 article with page 2.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The article is wrong. At idle it was quieter then some gas engines. With the AC on the dual radiator fans on low speed were louder then the engine at idle.

-Jason

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Are they going to take away the TDI badge and install a Ford Diesel badge?

Sloppy photojournalism, I say.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
It said TDI on the trunk lid. The diesel badges were on the front fenders, just like the 2006 TDI SE cars.

Oh, it was also very funny, the trip odometer and odometer were the same ;)

-Jason

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
compu_85 said:
It said TDI on the trunk lid. The diesel badges were on the front fenders, just like the 2006 TDI SE cars.

Oh, it was also very funny, the trip odometer and odometer were the same ;)

-Jason
The picture I posted was from the article.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Sweeps said:
DSG transmission only? or did I read that wrong.....that would be a huge miss.
The reporter was only saying the test mule at the fest was a DSG. If I remember correctly it was said there would be a manual 6-speed available.

How quiet is this car? Only we who have been around diesels knew what we were listening to. A newbie would NOT know that was a diesel, even with the hood open and engine cover off. It really is that quiet. It is as Compu_85 stated, with both radiator fans on you could NOT hear the engine.

I want one!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Right, that picture is of the car from fest, which is badged just like a 2006 Special Edition TDI, and has that badge on the front fenders.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Now where VOA will [once again] drop the ball is that they will offer it only in the Jetta. No Rabbit (Golf), no Passat, no Eos, etc. I hope I am wrong, but I have seen this sort of thing happen before...we all have.

Spotty diesel availability in the US:

(and this is just the TDIs!)

B4, '96 and early '97 only (no slushbox option)
B5, '04 and early '05 only (no manual option :mad: )
A3, late '97, '98, and very early '99 only...and only the Jetta sedan (no slushbox)

Then the future seemed brighter when the ALH became available first in the NB in '98 (our first A4 car) and in late '99 both the Golf and Jetta.

Then the A5 comes out...first just the Jetta sedan, and for basically 1.5 years we get a diesel option, but it gets dropped in the NB, no TDI in the new Passat, no TDI in the new Rabbit, then in 2007 even the Jetta is gone!!!

Now it might be a 2008 MY release for the CR Jetta, but even that seems to be getting pushed away. By the time VOA gets their head out of the sand, other carmakers will already be offering diesels and Volkswagen's trump card will be useless... :rolleyes:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I'd have to disagree with the last paragraph in the article: right now, diesel doesn't mean irritating noise, awful smell and black sooty smoke. Unless you're talking a 20 year old Mercedes. And what happened to 45 city and 60 hwy MPG? Even if those were imperial MPG, it's a heck of a difference. The figures quoted in this article sound far more realistic at least.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
oilhammer said:
Now where VOA will [once again] drop the ball is that they will offer it only in the Jetta. No Rabbit (Golf), no Passat, no Eos, etc. I hope I am wrong, but I have seen this sort of thing happen before...we all have.
You are not wrong, and this was explained during the presentation. My understanding of the reasons for the limited model range is that the larger and heavier vehicles produce more emissions. The exhaust system used on the Jetta is incapable of keeping up with the rate of emission production. The Touareg (and upcoming Audi Q7 TDI) must use the urea injection system to comply with it's pertinent emissions group. The Jetta can use the NOx and soot trap systems without the urea.
The Passat.... Unfortunately the heft of this car is above the threshold of the system used in the upcoming Jetta. The Passat would have to use a urea injection system to comply. The passenger vehicle segment doesn't have the same loophole allowing urea that the SUV segment does. No Passat TDI.
Rabbit is a low priced entry, The extra cost of all these scrubbers and such will be unsellable even at cost. The Jetta, although ostensibly just a Rabbit with a trunk, is percieved as a higher value vehicle and can (barely) cover the extra cost increase since it is a smaller percentage of the more expensive Jetta.
The Eos? The catalyst and other systems would be a minute addition to the already too high price of this toy. I can't think why not make a TDI version.

donfromnaples

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle Blue and 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon
The Rabbit will be set up the same way as the Jetta. The EOS may not due to engine bay dimensions (may not be able to easily fit the 2.0 tdi) which is also the case for the NB.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Details on the new VW TDI engine at the TDIFest.

From Auto123.com : http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=89011&pg=1

Complete article and pictures at the above link:
Pointe-Claire, Quebec - Last weekend, Montreal played host to the 2007 TDIFest, a special event gathering VW TDI fans from all across North America. People were excited to show off their own car and talk about only one thing: their passion for diesel-powered VWs. The program included various workshops and lectures on just about anything TDI-related.

Volkswagen Canada executives decided to take advantage of this event to present their new 2.0-liter TDI engine, which will hit the Canadian market in 2008. In order to help journalists get familiar with this powerplant, the automaker put a 2007 Jetta at our disposal. The 2.0L TDI was mated to a 6-speed automatic Direct Shift Gear (DSG) transmission.

What drives most people to buy diesel-powered cars is of course fuel economy. According to Mr. St-Pierre, the new 2.0L TDI should have similar ratings than the current 1.9L engine: 6.8 L/100 km in the city and 5.1 L/100 km on the highway with the automatic transmission.

You're probably wondering: where's the improvement if fuel economy is somewhat the same? Well, the new TDI generates 140 horsepower and 235 lb-ft or torque compared to 100 horsepower and 177 lb-ft for the 1.9L unit. Moreover, with the added displacement come four valves per cylinder (instead of only two), for a total of 16 valves. And let's not forget the new common rail injection system with Piezo injectors, a technology which allows, among other things, a more efficient diesel combustion and reduced toxic emissions. The power increase is also the result of these advanced injectors.

For those already drooling, the new TDI will arrive in dealerships next spring. It will be available with the Jetta sedans and wagons only, coupled with the aforementioned 6-speed DSG gearbox. While pricing has yet to be announced, expect it to be higher that the current 1.9L TDI, which requires a premium of $1,775.

Wrap-up
Let's make things clear once and for all: diesel no longer means irritating noise, awful smell and black sooty smoke. With this new engine, VW now has stronger arguments to convince consumers of the benefits of using diesel. However, fuel economy (the major selling card of diesel fuel) will remain slightly unchanged. It's a shame considering all the improvements made. Is neglecting fuel economy in favor of performance and quietness a wise decision? Time will tell...

Obviously, this new engine garnered a lot of attention; many welcomed the latest addition to VW's engine lineup by applauding and smiling each time they heard its subtle purr (that's right, I said "subtle"). I kept hearing comments like: "It's quieter than a bunch of gasoline engines!" or "With this mill, people will finally understand that diesel can be friendly after all!"

Indeed, the absence of noise is what struck me the most. At idle, the new TDI is almost as quiet as a traditional gasoline engine. A short road test made me realize that this 2.0L is just as discreet on the highway once you reach a cruising speed. In addition, you no longer smell the diesel exhaust, usually characterized by black smoke during accelerations. Thank you VW for completely revising the exhaust system!

In terms of emissions, Patrick St-Pierre, Public Relations Manager at Volkswagen Canada, says this TDI should meet federal CO2 standards at least until 2012. You should know that the German manufacturer had no other choice but to modify its TDI engine from the ground up because the current 1.9-liter unit no longer meets the new emission regulations that came into force on January 1st, 2007.

PS, they have a few extra pics here: http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/photos,photogal,news.spy?artid=89011

Last edited:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
The 1.9 is still available in Europe, ann the 2.0 has been in production for some time (PD). A bit less hp (134) but more torque 247lbs in the US version for the Passat.

A nice job in holding the economy with better performance, though those of us with the Passat have had that for 2-3 years now in the automatic which was the only avail trany (with somewhat less MPG, but not a whole lot).

It will be interesting if it can exceed the mpg as before, a wash or a bit less with the new setup.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Lug_Nut said:
Rabbit is a low priced entry, The extra cost of all these scrubbers and such will be unsellable even at cost. The Jetta, although ostensibly just a Rabbit with a trunk, is percieved as a higher value vehicle and can (barely) cover the extra cost increase since it is a smaller percentage of the more expensive Jetta.
If they are not going to sell Rabbit TDIs, then they might as well not sell Rabbits at all. Same with the Polo or whatever smaller VW we eventually get -- if it doesn't have a TDI engine, then sayonara VW and konichiwa Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
jimnms said:
Where can I get a badge like this to put on my car?
Your local VW dealer can order it for you, or any VW parts place can supply it. It comes on the fender of the 'Diesel Editions'.

Bill

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
So was anything said about a TDI version of the Tiguan? I know they will be getting it in Europe but how about in the US? I haven't heard anyone from VW confirm this one way or the other. The press releases so far are ambiguous at best.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
vwrobert51 said:
funny, did anybody ask the millon doller question. CAN YOU RUN BIOFUEL IN THIS ENGINE!!!:rolleyes:
I asked with a view toward the Minnesota B2 mandate.

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
tomo366 said:
The question was asked......I think he said 2010
No TDI Tiguan until 2010? A lot of people were expecting it right at introduction. Looks to be a long wait.

:(

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
tiguando said:
No TDI Tiguan until 2010? A lot of people were expecting it right at introduction. Looks to be a long wait.

:(
Yep, as I said, VOA drops the ball once again :rolleyes: