Detailing on my Passat

brando090

TDI
nothing sadly
Wondering if I should have my local VW dealership wax and polish my 2012 Passat or if I should take it to a 'professional' detailing shop.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Washing and waxing your car is certainly something you can do yourself. There is a right way and wrong way. If I was going to pay anyone, it would be a professional detailer.

To do it right yourself, you need two buckets, car wash soap, two washing mitts, several waffle weave towels for drying, any wax and several applicator pads. I like Meguirers brand of products and have used them to detail cars for years. You will also need a shady spot and a hose. If you don't have access to a hose, you can use one of the DIY car wash places. For more details about the process, please go to http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/forum.php#UDVu2IwulvgEwTQf.97 , scroll down and click on "Detailing 101" You can find out everything you need to know there.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
If you are going to have the passat detail shop. Or better yet learn how to do a detail, it's great relaxation, for some of us.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
If you are going to have the passat detail shop. Or better yet learn how to do a detail, it's great relaxation, for some of us.
You're going to have to help me with that first sentence.

After 3 years my Passat really benefitted from a good machine polish and then hand wax. It's easy to do yourself with an investment of a couple of hundred bucks on a DA polisher, pads, polishes etc.

It's best done over a few evenings in a garage. One step each night.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The question was a choice between a dealership and a professional detail shop, not instructions as to how he can do it himself.

The answer totally depends on the pride of workmanship, not "dealership vs. professional shop." With all the negativity on this site toward dealership ANYTHING, you'll not find much support for a dealership detail.

Best to ask the question locally, not nationally. It will probably require some leg-work on your part.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Wondering if I should have my local VW dealership wax and polish my 2012 Passat or if I should take it to a 'professional' detailing shop.
While I can't speak for every car dealership detail shop I personally worked at two car dealership detail shops. One guy shared space with the lot guys and two mechanics. Not the best place to share space with a detailer. The other place I worked was a dedicated building for prepping 5 brands worth of new cars for delivery, refurbishing used cars, and the guys there also did basic detailing of the cars. There was one guy there (didn't last long) that liked to use the pressure washer INSIDE the cars to clean the carpets :eek:

Let me just say if you want to have someone else do the detailing that I'd shy away from detailers that are at dealerships. Sure they may be fantastic at your particular dealership. However, the quality of dealership based car detailers are going to be pretty spotty. If you want it done right check out sites like "Yelp" or Google to check out reviews for car detailers in your area.

I'm personally with the others in the thread. Do it yourself, unless you don't have the means to do it.
Here's a fantastic youtube channel for leaning how the pros get it done:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w

03fan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I'd steer clear of any dealership "detail." All you'll get is an interior clean/shampoo, outside wash and wax. Highly doubt most would clay bar before waxing.

shegel

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta 2015 Passat
my vote is for the pro shop. I had my 15' detailed by a local shop and I opted for a paint sealant instead of wax. it lasts longer (about 6 months) and sheds water incredibly well. I opted for the pro shop because the dealer I bought my car from put massive swirls in the paint with the complimentary detail that they did on it.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I agree about being relaxing... Really hard work but very rewarding and not too complicated as long as you follow a few rules

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I USED to find it relaxing, too, but it really isn't for everyone. I'm 62, pianist/teacher, and I just can't abuse my hands with this sort of work anymore.
It was wonderfully satisfying to see the car after a day of detailing, though.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I'd rather get a root canal than wash my car
You got that right. I take it to the car wash. No muss no fuss in and out in 10 minutes. Washed, waxed, windows cleaned, and vacuumed. 17 bucks. tdiatlast I'm also 62.

Last edited:

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'd rather get a root canal than wash my car

I would rather get two root canals than drive around in a dirty car or one that is halfway washed at a drive through.

I realize I am the minority but I really enjoy cleaning and taking care of my cars inside and out.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would rather get two root canals than drive around in a dirty car or one that is halfway washed at a drive through.
I realize I am the minority but I really enjoy cleaning and taking care of my cars inside and out.
...uhhh...I'm going to guess you've never had a root canal, nor have you felt the day-after ache of a too-old pair of hands having done work better left to a younger person:D
Plus, those of us permitting someone else to do the work are providing much needed employment to a worthy person.;)

Stamie

TDI
02 Golf GLS 324,000 all stock original..... 2013 Passat tdi se 62,000 same
you are what you drive!

The car one drives is a reflection of the driver!