Desperate for help with Hybrid 17/52 (17/22?)

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I think I read somewhere the 17/52 was a VNT-17 exhaust side and a VNT-22 compressor side. If this is so, then why is it called a VNT-17/52?

I really would like to make a custom silicone 90* hose to fit it that transitions to fit a 2" O.D. lower pipe (complete with internal grooves molded inside the hose to interlock with the hose barbs on the turbo outlet and custom lower pipe). A friend has this turbo and the over-stretched OEM outlet hose keeps blowing off, so I know there is a huge need for a properly sized hose (and lower pipe).

But I don't have a 17/52 (17/22?) Hybrid to model the hose on so I am hoping to get enough measurements to be able to make a "mock-up" 17/52 (17/22?) from a busted VNT-15. Once I have done this with plaster and clay, I will only need to verify (and tweak as needed) the model against a real car with a 17/52 (17/22?) installed. That car is over an hour's drive from me so I would like to do the verification step just once.

Can someone please measure the 17/52 (17/22?) hybrid's outlet like I am doing in these VNT-15 pics? I am about to miss the boat on this round of custom hose making mandrel molds which will delay this hose and lower pipe for weeks... :(

-This can even be done with the Hybrid on the car but pics would be helpful so I can replicate the measurements here with a VNT-15. Also I would need to know if the compressor was rotated some or is in the position it was shipped in.

Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------
Reposted pics:

First as the outlet relates to the exhaust manifold flange mounting plane (exhaust flange flat on flat surface and use that surface to measure from):

Second, from the centerline of the shaft to the end of the outlet:

On a side note, I think the KERMA 18XX Hybrids use the VNT-15's outlet... if this is so, then I will have them covered soon.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Why not just have a special hose made Mike your not that tight are you lol.
I am really fortunate because there's a guy now at the end of my road who carries quite a few specials in stock amongst the standard sizes to.

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
The term 17/52 would refer to a GT17 frame size (turbine) and a 52mm compressor wheel.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Which is ok to mill out a smaller housing to fit a wheel from a larger one , but it will only make 30 to 40% at best of what the larger housing offers.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Why not just have a special hose made Mike your not that tight are you lol.
I am really fortunate because there's a guy now at the end of my road who carries quite a few specials in stock amongst the standard sizes to.
I am entering the custom silicone hose making business. ;)

I needed the measurements to make the molds the hoses will be built on.

My custom silicone hoses are designed to fit the exact specific application with internal grooves molded in to interlock with hose barbs and beads on the ends of the pipes, outlets and nipples.

My hoses will be like the Tupperware snap-lock seal, where they "click" into place and then they become like a Chinese handcuff where you can't pull them back off... and that's BEFORE you put a clamp on them! The design specification is 35 psi boost spikes without blowing off or rupturing.

My hoses and couplings are flurosilicone lined for oil resistance. Regular silicone won't last long when exposed to oil.

Tom sent me the measurements that I need... thanks Tom!!!

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's the VNT-15 mold ready to ship:
(the hoses will be made over the pipe so it is what the inside of the hoses will look like)

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Mike,
The stock boost hose works fine on the 17/22 for street apps. I use this all the time with no problems, up to 30psi. It is just a bit snug going on the first time. If it's not broke don't fix it! Race applications are a different story, but there are plenty of good solutions already available!
Jeff

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
jsrmonster said:
Mike,
The stock boost hose works fine on the 17/22 for street apps. I use this all the time with no problems, up to 30psi. It is just a bit snug going on the first time. If it's not broke don't fix it! Race applications are a different story, but there are plenty of good solutions already available!
Jeff
The stock hose won't easily fit a custom bent (or fabricated) standard 2" pipe (tube) lower pipe.

Custom hoses and connectors are needed for the CNC mandrel bent tubes I am going to make so they will be "plug and play" easy to install. My IC pipes will suffer from damage inflicted from difficulty installing them on OEM hoses and couplings and they will suffer issues with the OEM hoses blowing off. I can't afford to even attempt to sell anything that crappy.

The solution is custom silicone hoses and couplings designed specifically to be used with each custom pipe kit.

But the hoses and couplings are also designed to be sold separately for those looking to do their own plumbing who just need a hose or coupling to go from an odd VW metric size nipple to a standard inch size pipe (tube).

If the day comes that you can't make an OEM hose do what you need done... call me... ;)

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
DPM said:
That looks like a very tight bend...
It is... the lower pipe must clear the half shaft and the lower hose must allow engine movement and isolate engine vibration as well. It is a compromise between these issues, the space provided and the least resistance to flow.

The 2" inside diameter of the exit end of the hose makes the 90* bend look small when in fact it is larger than the inside diameter of the OEM hose. The larger inside diameter of the hose in the 90* bend will offset the tighter radius in terms of flow quite a bit, if not completely.

In short, I predict the hoses made on this mandrel mold will offer less resistance to flow than the OEM hoses. And coupled with a 2" mandrel bent lower pipe that does not swell or balloon, there will be no contest.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
Mike:

You got a flow bench in the works as well? I know that the numbers can be massaged, but it would give you a good comparison.......

How's the MKIV IC pipe project coming?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI_Convert said:
Mike:

You got a flow bench in the works as well? I know that the numbers can be massaged, but it would give you a good comparison.......

How's the MKIV IC pipe project coming?
The upper pipe is being finalized for a production run as the first batch of custom IC connectors are on the way.

The lower pipes are waiting on the custom turbo to lower pipe hoses but should be ready in about a month or so.

After that, a huge inside diameter custom silicone hose from the airbox to the turbo is next on my list to develop and then back to the exhaust parts. I hope to have the whole A4 plumbing package ready by spring.

icontender

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2000 Jetta RC4, 17/22, 11mm IP, leather seats, mobile internet
Any update on this? What ever happen to the project?