Delete

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't worry too much about it. My regens usually had the burnt rubbery smell , but I also remember getting the diesel exhaust smell during a regen once or twice.

mmn

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6MT Sportline
Could be a leak on the seal at the DPF - I had to take my 2013 into the dealer about 6 months after I purchased it because the smell was showing up at every regen. Thanks to this forum, I told them to check there first and sure enough, that was the issue.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
My 2013 does this too. Only regenning at idle, I can smell it. I hate the smell, I have to roll down the windows, but it's not super bad. I'd say to a degree it's normal, but certainly annoying. There are many users on here who have taken their cars to the dealer after smelling the regen smell and it was bad seals. So, definitely take your car in soon. I know I should, but I haven't gotten around to it.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If you have the HVAC system on and it's not set to the recycle air setting when sitting in traffic (or going slow)...you're pulling in the exhaust stink smells from around your vehicle. Try hitting the recycle air button the next time you're going to be sitting in traffic .

Now if you have the air recycling and you're still getting a SHARP odor...you'll want to get it checked out.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
No it think it is a exhaust leak, started the vehicle up this morning from cold in my car stall and opened the hood and sure enough got a good wiff. Must be a small one but any exhaust leak isn't good especially on car a car with 7k on the clock.only going to get worse.

I originally thought the smell was from another truck hence why I didn't think anything of it, driving home at 1am in the morning there wasn't any vehicles around which is when I got a good wiff

Hopefully dealer won't charge me for this
It's got 7k on it...they'd better fix that under warranty.

mincanada

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi
While doing my weekend "getting the engine nice and hot" run got another wiff so I 100% certain it's my car.

A bit off subject but can't really get my coolant over 75c using torque app and dongle when it's getting its "spirited drive". It's cold out be seems like the coolant temperature never hits 80c at all. Only time it does it is if I let it idle for a while. I even turned off heater to try get it hot, no joy. It's just while the vehicle is at the dealership for exhaust leak they could change thermostat at same time if it's faulty. I'll log a run a see if you guys agree.
Plugging it in at night? I use torque to check mine as well and I get up to 87c if I remember after about 15 minutes if it's Alberta cold lol

Last edited:

mincanada

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi
I know Alberta cold, worked in suffield for number of years. I plug mine in when it's below -5c so pretty much all the time here. Even 20 mins drive at 120 kmph on trans canada 1 it never reaches 80c even with heater off.if yours is hitting 87c then my thermostat is definitely not working correctly. I need to get them to look at that too
I checked today out of curiosity. ...outside temp was -1 , within a minute torque said coolant temp was at 44...within 10 minutes hit 80 and did hit 86 again...

I didn't plug it in last night just as an fyi. ..hope this helps

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I know Alberta cold, worked in suffield for number of years. I plug mine in when it's below -5c so pretty much all the time here. Even 20 mins drive at 120 kmph on trans canada 1 it never reaches 80c even with heater off.if yours is hitting 87c then my thermostat is definitely not working correctly. I need to get them to look at that too
My car also hits 190F in less than 10 minutes at 70 mph, even at subzero F temps. It does sound like you have a faulty t-stat. They are a pita to access on the newer tdi's.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
stinky diesel exhaust smell during regen is likely the desox cycle. It typically happens the last part of a regen (actually happens after the filter regen is finished) Desox does not trigger by any direct measurement or sensor. It's strictly based on a calculation (mostly miles) or more specifically the total soot generated over several regen cycles is correlated with a certain amount of sulfur buildup. I can't remeber the exact "number" but it should not happen more frequently than every few regens.

this is more of a "TDI trivia" thing to be filed away with all the obscure fun facts. There are no sensors that depend on it and in fact the sulfur cat can be taken out of the car completely without triggereing a CEL.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
If it is not the obvious clamp on the turbo to dpf down pipe, look at the VNT actuator on the turbo.