Delete + Tune/Remain Stock?

OnDirt

TDI
2015 jetta
First time posting on this forum and just mainly looking for some good advice and past experience.

I'm on my second TDI now, which happens to be a 2015 jetta. I've been doing some research into if deleting and tuning is worth the time and money. Usually everyone that I see answers that question by saying yes, but the rare few say to never touch that system, "your asking for more problems, leave the car the way it is". Im in no way looking for more power, just hoping to make the car more reliable (i've read a lot about the stock emissions having many issues and throwing codes here and there) and maybe add a few more mpg if possible. This car will be used as a daily driver in Michigan so I'm almost positive I won't run into emissions testing.

Any recommendations and thoughts would be very helpful!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Unless it has over 150K on it, your 2015 is covered by the VW emissions warranty until 2026. And the emissions systems have proven to be pretty reliable on the 2015s. GIven that, I'd leave it alone.

OnDirt

TDI
2015 jetta
Okay, Im currently only at 70k, just been seeing lots of things on forums and facebook that have been giving me mixed emotions on if it was worth it or not.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The emissions warranty covers a variety of non-emissions only items, including the turbo, glow plugs, the, in-tank fuel pump, HPFP, and more. If you delete the emissions you'll sacrifice all that coverage, as well as coverage for the emissions system components. Although deleting the emissions hardware may be a good option at some point, I'd be reluctant to give up that coverage as long as the warranty is still in force.

However, if your driving habits are such that the emissions system isn't going to work properly (lots of short trips), then a delete may be helpful.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I will second that about the warranty. It covers all of key items that are known to be trouble.

My experience was after 3 clogged DPF's and various other issues, I REALLY needed my car to just run, not spend all it's time in the shop (and rarely a loaner).

Moral to the story: If your driving habits land your car in the shop more than your driveway, a delete and tune is worth considering. If you go that route a CP3 is also a great (and EZ) upgrade for longevity.

TDI's can run hundreds of thousands of miles and get great fuel economy. That's why so many of us love them!!

OnDirt

TDI
2015 jetta
I see a lot of people also doing a 0.5 eco tune without actually deleting anything, is this something you'd recommend? Does this affect its reliability, or is this just looking for more problems in the end? This wouldn't void any warranties right?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This wouldn't void any warranties right?
It could. If the dealer sees a tune in the car when you bring it in for warranty repairs, (or if they see that the ecu has been re-flashed more times than their records indicate) they could deny a warranty repair. There's some debate as to whether or not all dealers are savvy enough to do this, but you'd be taking that risk if you have the car tuned in any way.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
I see a lot of people also doing a 0.5 eco tune without actually deleting anything, is this something you'd recommend? Does this affect its reliability, or is this just looking for more problems in the end? This wouldn't void any warranties right?
Yes they can tell if it's a custom tune! BUT you simply flash it back to stock before taking it to the dealer. It only takes 10 minutes.

The 0.5 tune is pretty meh but the DSG tune is excellent and the dealer won't see that from the ECU.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes, you can flash it back, but there's a flash counter in the ECU. The dealer may be able to tell that the ECU has been flashed more times than the dealer history shows and deny a warranty claim on account of that.

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium Blue, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen SE Silver
The warranty is very good. But if the dealer or you needs to call VW to get authorization then there will be a problem Houston. What initially says at dealer is not covered, wont be covered when they are told to call VW. This has been my experience. The warranty can be very good, but choose a dealer that you trust of course.

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
First time posting on this forum and just mainly looking for some good advice and past experience.

I'm on my second TDI now, which happens to be a 2015 jetta. I've been doing some research into if deleting and tuning is worth the time and money. Usually everyone that I see answers that question by saying yes, but the rare few say to never touch that system, "your asking for more problems, leave the car the way it is". Im in no way looking for more power, just hoping to make the car more reliable (i've read a lot about the stock emissions having many issues and throwing codes here and there) and maybe add a few more mpg if possible. This car will be used as a daily driver in Michigan so I'm almost positive I won't run into emissions testing.

Any recommendations and thoughts would be very helpful!
I had a DPF issue, likely cracked, and decided to do the Rawtech DPF & EGR deleted kit with Tunezilla stage .5 tune. I did a fairly extensive writeup on it in the weeks after. The short of it is that if MPGs are your main reason, it's not likely to pay for itself, unless you have a current DPF issue. That said, I'm generally very happy with the install process and results. However, being from Michigan, you'll want to consider the fact that these cars are designed to have the EGR. Why would this be a factor for you? Winter driving. I live in northern Minnesota, yup we get COLD. My commute is about 40ish miles, almost all highway, and I have found that reaching and maintain full operating temperature becomes a challenge at about 20 degrees, and basically impossible below zero. So, MPGs and my comfort (little heat) is affected. Keep in mind also, that this is with a COMPLETELY covered grill, top and bottom.

To summarize, if you have a DPF issue now, and very low winter temperatures are not a concern, it's well worth the price of entry. Otherwise, carefully weigh your options and do your homework.

pastduebill

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI (man)
2015 Jetta TDI 6MT. Delete, Exhaust & Stage 2 Malone tune. 53mpg while stock. 58mpg after. Everything the EPA puts on a diesel makes it LESS reliable. I've been driving 18-wheelers for 49 yr. so I've seen the detrimental effect. Never worried about warranty because a warranty is only as good as the dealership. Happy to have a reliable, higher mpg TDI. If you don't live in a 'big brother is watching you' state, then I highly recomend the delete & tune.
P.S. : I suggest limiting your biodiesel blend to B10 (10% bio - 80% diesel). I've experienced B20 will clog injectors (it will feel like it's missing). Then will have to do some wide open throttle pulls to clear them out. OR 1/2 oz. injector cleaner every other fillup when truck stops run their B20 summer blend.
Happy Dieseling!