Delete auto-locking feature?

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
I don't mean the one that locks the doors at 5 MPH, but the one that re-locks your doors if you don't pull open one of them.

The same one that locks your keys inside if you own a van since the rear doors don't count as a door being opened. :mad: I have vag-com but I can't find any coding change that will delete it. I've searched everywhere I can think of and I think I am stuck with this feature. Please some kind soul tell me I'm not! :)

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
KROUT said:
You can turn it off with vagcom. At least on some models you can.
Do you have the info to do it? If you do, you are the only one! :) Since I posted I even asked Ross-Tech and they think it's probably not possible.

I'd love to be able to get rid of it. It's a good idea on a car with a trunk, but on a van with a tailgate (that's a single rear door) I'm not sure what you guys call it, it's a receipe for locking your keys inside. It's even possible to double lock yourself inside and have to break glass to get out! :eek:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I don't know of a way to disable the auto re-lock if you don't open a door. :(

It's interesting it doesn't count the rear doors on the alarm. Are you sure the door switches are working right?

-Jason

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Thanks for your replies guys :) I have checked all the switches with vag-com. The tailgate does set off the alarm as it should but it doesn't cancel the re-lock in the way the front and side doors do.

I think what it's doing is counting the tailgate as a trunk. I suppose folks like to get their golf clubs out of the trunk and know it will re-lock if they forget to do it. But with a van it's quite a common thing to unlock and head straight for your tools or whatever without opening the driver's door first. Then, if you are stupid enough (and I am!) to put your keys inside and shut the tailgate they are locked in.

Someone (VW tech) that he thought it was a Thatcham (alarm spec) requirement in which case I suppose VW don't want you to alter it.

deezay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 black jetta gls
i found this in the sticky at the top... as posted by pepper10.. i haven't tried it yet to verify that it works... but i will tomorrow..

I had the same problem. You have 2 options: cancel the auto lock or have th edoors unlock when you remove the key.
Lock/Unlock Horn/Flash:

[Select]
[46 - Cent. Conv.] (35 - Cent. Locking for manual window cars)
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel (03..08)
Adaptation Value (1 = on, 0 = off)
[Save]

Channel 03 Auto Lock set to 0 to cancel auto lock
Channel 04 Auto Unlock Set to 1 to unlock by removing key from ignition
Channel 05 Unlock, horn sounds
Channel 06 Lock, horn sounds
Channel 07 Unlock, turn signals flash
Channel 08 Lock, turn signals flash

i hope it works! adios!

L0o0ky

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi--sold
Well, being pretty much a newb, I can't tell you how it was done.

I do know that when I took my car to the dealer to get a second key (I now know there are much better ways to do it) whatever they did disabled the autolock. This might vary based on model etc....

I can attest to it being possible (YMMV), just can't tell you how it was done.

KROUT

persona non grata
It is done with vagcom. You can turn the auto lock off as well as the auto lock at 5mph. I dont have the procedure But I have done it on my cars.

DrMarc

TDI
02 Golf TDi
Is my car the only car that locks itself even if you open a door... Unless you get the key in the ignition and turned within about 30 seconds of unlocking via the fob. Its reallllly anoying, i'm forever honking at passers-by when the car locks because i didn't get the key in, in time. I'm gonna try that vag-com code above later...

Its also funny, because, conversly to the van, if i unlock, and then pop the hatch and open the hatch, the car will then remain unlocked... Until i close the hatch and then it will lock everything. Honking at passersby again, followed by me swearing when i realized the key is in back

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
auto lock disable successfully but hatch autolock disable not possible

DrMarc said:
Is my car the only car that locks itself even if you open a door... Unless you get the key in the ignition and turned within about 30 seconds of unlocking via the fob. Its reallllly anoying, i'm forever honking at passers-by when the car locks because i didn't get the key in, in time. I'm gonna try that vag-com code above later...

Its also funny, because, conversly to the van, if i unlock, and then pop the hatch and open the hatch, the car will then remain unlocked... Until i close the hatch and then it will lock everything. Honking at passersby again, followed by me swearing when i realized the key is in back
My car does the exact same thing! Do you notice that also the lights to do not come on when you open the driver door but they do come one when opening the other doors? On my car (and I suspect yours too) the "driver door open" sensor is dead. So that car doesn't know that you have opened the driver door, after 30 seconds the alarm re-arms and when you try to start the car with the alarm armed it goes off.

My work arounds are: open the drivers rear door after disarming the alarm to keep the alarm off.
and
to make sure the alarm is disarmed: get in the habbit of pressing the unlock button on the keyfob just before inserting the key in the igintion.

I guess I could just get the darn door fixed but that would cost money!

I have done the VAG-COM auto lock delete and I like it alot because when I arrive at my destination my doors are still unlocked and I get my children out of the back seats without having to reach for the unlock. Doors do not need to be locked for safety while driving unless you are afraid of car-jackers!

I would also be interested in disabling the hatch autolock because it would be nice to be able to use the handle to open the hatch without having to hold the key fob for 2 seconds every fricking time! The only way I think this could be done is if it were mechanically rigged some how... I may try this since I broke my lock asm trying un sieeze it and It is sort of held together with plastic zip ties right now anyway. The hatch coujld be rigged with a popper and delete the handle for that smooth shaved handle look. Anyone tried this?

- Narf

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
vwlogue said:
That is cool! If I understand correctly with that setup when you unlock the driver door a signal goes to the hatch unlock button... but after 60 seconds the hatch will still relock? Also everytime you close the hatch it locks? Being able to unlock it with a quick click of the unlock button (instead of holding that annoying hatch button) sounds pretty cool... but...

I think we are still looking for a way to unlock the hatch and leave it unlocked indefinetly (even if you open and close it) until you are ready to lock the whole car up again by pressing the lock button?

- Narf

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
Thats a brilliant fix thanks for posting it. For a car that costs about $10000.00 more than others in its peer group we should not have to screw around like this to fix stupid design issues. I managed to shut the annoying ding dong chimes off by setting the instrument cluster to european coding. Now I don't get the urge to yell at my car "I know, I know, shut the &#$* up".

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Well I've just about given up trying to fix what must just be a silly oversight by VW. It's fine on the cars but silly on a van with a tailgate. I wonder how long it will take them to fix it?

Thanks for your clarification Andy. :)

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
DrMarc said:

DrMarc and NarfBlast

Your drivers door switch is bad. Leave your door open and try locking the car with the remote. If it works you need to replace the door switch. They all go bad sooner or later. The reason your car re-locks after 30 seconds even when you get in is because it never saw you get in! It thinks it was a random open request or a pocket change mistake and relocks for security. It is very easy to set off the alarm in this mode too.

Cj