Defective rear window or damage from tint installation ?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
good news...keep us posted...oh, and stand your ground. From the photos, at least, there does appear to be a defect...

hmt

TDI
None
It has to do with the time I leave for work. I leave at that time when there is dew/frost on the outside of the glass depending on the season. Therefore it gets used regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I noticed this happened to my passat as well. I've many cars before and this is the only one that has more condensation in the car. There are many times when I got off work (5 - 6PM) and mine was the only one in the parking lot had the white condensate/cloudy back glass. Can't remember what the weather was, but never happened this many times before with my other cars. Been wondering why myself....

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Today I left my car at the dealership so the regional VW rep can take a look tomorrow and hopefully approve rear glass replacement . The next defroster line above the 4 already damaged started burning so I'm really hoping they will replace it as there is no doubt a problem with the defogger grid . They put me in a base passat as a loaner and I must say we tdi owners are spoiled with the upgrades !!! Much cheaper inside , gimped mfd and that 2.5 is a real dog pulling the passat around .... Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow and will give an update .

Last edited:

IRISHpride

TDI
2015 Golf
Today I left my car at the dealership so the regional VW rep can take a look tomorrow and hopefully approve rear glass replacement . The next defroster line above the 4 already damaged started burning so I'm really hoping they will replace it as there is no doubt a problem with the defogger grid . They put me in a base passat as a loaner and I must say we tdi owners are spoiled with the upgrades !!! Much cheaper inside , gimped mfd and that 2.5 is a real dog pulling the passat around .... Hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow and will give an update .
I like my 2.5 and my TDI:(

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Good news all. To my surprise VW approved the replacement of the rear window glass ! They didn't mention if they would cover the tint but ill ask when I go to the dealer to pick up the car today .

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Update : tint wont be covered as it is an aftermarket installation but I guess it's my fault getting it installed knowing part of the defogger wasn't working .

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Glad it's getting taken care of. I will be checking my car when I pick it up on Sunday because of your issue. Did your tint guy say what it would cost for just the back glass? Do you mind sharing what you paid, looking to get mine 3M tinted ASAP.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't asked how much for the back glass yet . I paid $350 for 3m color stable film for full tint(all 7 windows) . I'm hoping they will cut me a break as a repeat customer .

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think they should cut you a break because, if they're really good, they should have seen the defective grid before they covered it.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Good news on the replacement!
Don't forget to call the tint installer. Definitely would be easier to install with the window out!

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
If I were to smash the window I would be out a $500 deductable lol.... I asked about having the window tinted before installed , they asked their glass guy and he didn't want anything on the glass prior to the install.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Did they tint over the 3rd brake light the first time? Just curious.
Yes and will have them do it again . The place i use has digital single piece cuts and can be requested either way . Did 35% love it!

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
.... I asked about having the window tinted before installed , they asked their glass guy and he didn't want anything on the glass prior to the install.
He was an idiot then. There is no way tint would have had any affect on the glass install. It would have made the tint install SO much easier, and there would have been less opportunity for bubbles.

Glad VW took care of the glass though.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Well how can this get better guys... So I go to pick up my car today and the glass guy totally messed up all the paint around the window tried to cover it up with paint that didn't match and said nothing to the dealer ..... I'm sooo fu<king pissed I can't think straight.... Looks like it will be taking a trip to the body shop next.... I'm gonna insist they now pay for the retint and push for I body shop I'm familiar with and ask for a lifetime warrenty on the paint.... What else do I need to do... Iv always kept my cool working with dealers but I conservatively flipped my wig tonight (no yelling) ill get pics of the damage tomorrow. Should I just contact my insurance company. Should I take them to small claims court for diminished value? Grrrrr..... I knew I should have just left the damn window alone... Ok rant for the night over... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Well how can this get better guys... So I go to pick up my car today and the glass guy totally messed up all the paint around the window tried to cover it up with paint that didn't match and said nothing to the dealer ..... I'm sooo fu<king pissed I can't think straight.... Looks like it will be taking a trip to the body shop next.... I'm gonna insist they now pay for the retint and push for I body shop I'm familiar with and ask for a lifetime warrenty on the paint.... What else do I need to do... Iv always kept my cool working with dealers but I conservatively flipped my wig tonight (no yelling) ill get pics of the damage tomorrow. Should I just contact my insurance company. Should I take them to small claims court for diminished value? Grrrrr..... I knew I should have just left the damn window alone... Ok rant for the night over... Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Personally I would go direct to the dealership top dog. Involving the court system for such a relatively small issue wouldn't even be an option for me. Document the damage, tell them what you want and give them a chance to respond and take care of the problem. If they dont, then move forward.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^this. Sorry about your continued issues. Sounds like you're at the end of your rope, as you should be, but...keep cool. Once you lose your control, you give them the advantage, and...well...just sound like an idiot. (I know this first-hand...lots of experience sounding like an idiot!:D) Besides, trying to negotiate with the counter person is rarely productive, as they've got no ability to negotiate in the first place!!!

You've got the upper hand in this. Keep methodically working on them.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
How did the guy damage the paint? scratched it with the new glass? or got adhesive on the paint? So sorry to hear this! I feel your pain. I had my 2012 Tiguan in for a minor issue, and had this huge ordeal happen to me. Heres the link to my thread, http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5735347-Man-man-man

It may make you feel better! lol. I eventually traded that car in for my Passat TDI I have now. I couldnt get over the stupid transmission update that I asked VW to give me, and with the car being torn down like that and scratched up, I didn't even want the vehicle anymore. lol.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok well I got to see the damage in the daylight today and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought, what I thought was mass amounts of touch up paint was just adhesive smeared on the bevel (still not happy). There are about 4 small chips to the primer so they made an appointment to go to the body shop in a few weeks . They will remove the window, paint the inside bevel where the chips are and agreed to cover the tinting of my window . As long as it looks good when its all done I'm happy. Will update after I get the car back...

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Im glad they got you sorted out and even got a bit of new paint and got the tint covered by them as well. I hope you get it back to your liking! good luck!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Sorry for your ordeal!

I go back to the statement I made a bit ago, this glass guy was an idiot!

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)

I got a loaner car from VW before... VCDS the heck out of it. Loved it for the week. The next person will thank you.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Off topic but I gave her some detailing love today to stop focusing on what happend. Cleaned up nice :)

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Excellent that they are removing the glass and painting the pinchweld where required. Bad corrosion can start there if the paint is chipped, even buried in the glass adhesive.

Yours
Vern

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
So after 2.5 weeks at the body shop my car was finally returned to the dealer and I had a chance to inspect the repair . Paint looks great and the only issue I spotted was the rear window had a slightly larger gap on the left then on the right . Over all I'm happy with the repair as I don't want to have the window pulled again and more body work done over an 1/8 of an inch variance .. Lol ... Going in for tint tomorrow so things are finally getting made right . It's crazy how long things take with the dealership involved ...will post pics when I finally get my car back .