Defective rear window or damage from tint installation ?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
So I just got my car tinted at a very reputable shop which I've used in the past and overall the job came out great bit I noticed somthing strange in the rear window with a section of defroster lines . Seems there is one section that is a darker color than the rest and I'm just seeking opinions on what may have caused this(damage by tint shop) or if its a defect from the factory. It may have been there from new but I never noticed untill the tint was on.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
That is where there was extra solution and extra pressure applied, and the tint actually sealed against the defrost contact lines. The others that look normal, actually have air gap lines on either side of the defrost lines. Nothing is wrong, other than it looks bad...mine has the air gap lines everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I really don't think that's the case here. The lines should be orange regardless of air gaps .

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I used to do tint for a living. Based on what I see in your pics that is my opinion.

You can test and see if it is working. Turn on the rear defrost, and use a wet paper towel to wipe some fine water droplets across the area, and see how it reacts. For me, every morning I have a fogged rear window, so I would test it then. If it doesn't work like it is supposed to you can go back to the tint shop.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the tinter accidentally scraped off the lines with a razor .....I can feel all the raised lines with my finger except where the color is missing.... This sucks.... Now I have to try and get the tint shop to replace my window...... Defroster doesn't work in those lines either

Last edited:

IRISHpride

TDI
2015 Golf
turn on your rear defrost for a little while and that extra should evaporate had help seal it. if not, go back to the tint shop.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
They don't work in those lines anymore because they were scraped off :(

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Why would they scrape the back window? Were they removing old tint? If its fresh glass, they should not have scraped it at all with a razor, if anything cleaned it with a squeegee. If there was old tint to take off, they shouldn't be using a razor to scrape off anything, being its the rear defrosted window. I could see if they had a piece of tint that didn't come off completely, they could pick away at a corner of it with a razor to finally remove the old tint, but then should use like a non-metallic brillo pad/scotch pad to get off any adhesive. But then again I don't tint windows, but have had all of my vehicles tinted and retinted. I would take it back, good luck, hopefully they'll cop to their mistake.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Brand new car I bought new. Only 2 months old. Never had tint before.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Doesn't look missing to me. Maybe what you feel is missing adhesive from the factory. If you are certain defrost worked before tinting, then take it back to the shop. Unless the tint can be removed without stripping off the metal oxide, don't expect any love from the dealer -- defect or not.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Defrost def doesn't work in that area . Tested earlier. I'm almost positive it came this way when I got it now as I remember seeing an area before I got tinted that wasn't defrosting right. I sort of wrote it off as I'd rather live with it than have vw pull my window but now that its tinted and looks like crap(couldn't see damage before tint) I want it replaced but I know they will fight me tooth and nail saying the tinter caused the damage. I'm pretty much screwed either way .

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
If your tint shop is indeed reputable, they should be able to properly defend their installation.
Your dealer should be able to see the area that's defective, and should also understand that no tint shop could have possibly created such an abnormally shaped area with a razor blade...and that no tint shop would have needed to use a razor blade with a 2-month old car.
The question remains, what caused the defect?

LokiWolf: Why in the world do you have condensation every morning inside your car? Do you have 5 heavy breathing humans jumping into a cold car every morning? Do you keep the recycling on all the time? I've used the rear window defroster maybe 5 times since I've owned the car...13 months...

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
why would the tint shop use a razor to install new tint? tint is precut by a CAD machine now then installed with a plastic squeege. I dont see how the tint shop could have caused that damage.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
VW definitely will not warranty this with the tinting application. You should have had it replaced BEFORE the tinting.

The tinter will claim it was bad to begin with, so you are hosed either way.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
He could remove the rear tint and say that the shop noticed it when they went to tint it so they didnt finish the job.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't notice any physical defect before the tint was installed. I knew that section wasn't working properly but was going to bring it up at the 10k service. I figured it was a loose connection or somthing. I feel vw will fight me in this and i will most likely end up leaving it . Only way ill have the window pulled is if VW agrees to replace it and re-tint it. Otherwise it's just not worth the time, money and hassle to me. It's only really noticeable up real close.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Unfortunately it's is probably going to continue to bother you; as I know it would bother me.

I'm still hopeful VW will come through, especially if other rear windows have had similar issues without the tint.

I would not expect VW to agree to pay for the re-tint though.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Softie: Don't be a softy! ASK your dealer. I think your request is perfectly reasonable, tint or no tint. They might surprise you with their answer.
Good luck.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
I would expect that VW would warranty the glass even with the tint on. Of course they wouldn't pay for new tint, and it's likely they would want to pin it on the tint shop if they can.

Yours
Vern

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys ! I'm gonna bring it up at the 10k ... Think they can screw up anything with replacing a window ? :p

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why not do it NOW, since the tint shop and you discovered the problem? I wouldn't wait another day...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
LokiWolf: Why in the world do you have condensation every morning inside your car? Do you have 5 heavy breathing humans jumping into a cold car every morning? Do you keep the recycling on all the time? I've used the rear window defroster maybe 5 times since I've owned the car...13 months...
It has to do with the time I leave for work. I leave at that time when there is dew/frost on the outside of the glass depending on the season. Therefore it gets used regularly.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Why not do it NOW, since the tint shop and you discovered the problem? I wouldn't wait another day...
I wholeheartedly agree. Also, if the glass installer is any good at what he does, he should be able to do a factory looking replacement. In most cases it is better than faculty.

It has been about 10 years since I did my last glass installation, but I used to do Jeep Cherokee windshields all the time, because the glass company I worked for had the local Jeep dealership as a customer. The Jeeps NEVER had a full bead of Urethane on them from the faculty, my boss sweared on hot day if you stopped quickly they would pop out. I know he wasn't serious, but if you saw the lack of urethane, and crappy gasket, you would know it wasn't a stretch. Also it caused them to leak when the gasket got old or dry rotted.

Bottom line, sometimes aftermarket is better!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It has to do with the time I leave for work. I leave at that time when there is dew/frost on the outside of the glass depending on the season. Therefore it gets used regularly.

In your OP about this, you said a "fogged window", which I thought meant on the inside...my mistake...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
In your OP about this, you said a "fogged window", which I thought meant on the inside...my mistake...
You are correct, that was definitely the wrong term to use. Frosted/wet would have been better, but I was lazy!

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I just watched a couple videos on youtube on how to remove the rear window tint in one piece, requires the vehicle to get really hot.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I just watched a couple videos on youtube on how to remove the rear window tint in one piece, requires the vehicle to get really hot.
It can be done with a heat gun and some patience, but if the glass is going to be replaced, why remove it? Any respectable service writer should know that a scraper isn't needed to put rear tint on and there is no way the tint shop did the damage.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
I stopped by the dealer today and was told that I need to come back when the service manager is there . They said if its defective VW will replace the window regardless of the tint but wasn't sure if they would pay for the tint to be reinstalled. I also talked to the tinter who did my car and he said to make arrangements with the dealer so If and when they replace it he can come to the dealership and tint the glass before the window is installed . He also said he would defend his work if the dealer gives me a hard time.