Defecting to the Dark Side: Delvac 1

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Well, I did it.

Some weeks ago I was in Walmart to buy some stuff. I also knew that I was close to having to do an oil change on my car as well. Not having a convenient source for my usual Petro Canada Duron Synthetic oil, I picked up a jug of Delvac 1 (the former is available typically only at Petro Canada terminal stations or distributors -- they are not usually sold at Petro Canada gas stations; if they are they're invariably $$$$$$$$$) .

The D1 was pretty expensive at just over $40 Canadian (USD$26) after taxes for a 4 litre jug. I had the oil changed last weekend at a Jiffy Lube (brought all my own parts). Everything was OK, except due to sheer laziness on my part, I also paid a few extra bucks to have them replace the fuel filter that was sitting in my trunk. I was rewarded for the deed by having my car stall at an intersection about 5 minutes later. It was a b!tch to get the engine started again. I fiddled with reinstalling the plastic vent fitting to the filter, and I found that a rubber gasket that I believe should be there is missing (how long it had been missing I don't know, but I never had a starting problem because of too much air being drawn into the injection pump until now. Well, problem seems to be fixed now.

Back to point: This was an expensive and troublesome oil change (responsibility assumed for my laziness), for the added cost of the oil; for the labour spent to have a simple task done for me; and for having my car die on me on the road
Next time I'll plan my oil changes farther in advance and buy my P-C oil.

But my car seems to run smoother, quieter and with better fuel economy with D-1. NOT!!!

Boundless

BANNED
Originally posted by TDIMeister:
<snip>

It was a b!tch to get the engine started again. I fiddled with reinstalling the plastic vent fitting to the filter, and I found that a rubber gasket that I believe should be there is missing (how long it had been missing I don't know, but I never had a starting problem because of too much air being drawn into the injection pump until now. Well, problem seems to be fixed now.

<snip>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just a quick note here..... could this leak could have anything to do with your MPG issue? Contamination... fouled injector(s).

Welcome to the wonderful world of DELVAC1!!!!!!

I do believe you left the Dark Side....