DEER conference

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
Sorry Da3ve, but I needed to earn a living. All of us had our laptops with us but I used mine to check e-mail and didn’t have any time to surf the web. I thought maybe Dana Bartholomew was invited but he covers a very wide broad range so I can understand him not being there. But the Fred turnout is very surprising to me. I had thought the people here on the forum were involved, had good ideas and would be at the conference to make a difference. For the hundreds of people there you’d expect several Fred members. Then I thought for the hundreds of scientist, engineers and technicians that work here there’s just my tdi, a MB td, and a few diesel trucks so I guess it’s a similar distribution.
Who’s gonna be the Fred representative at the 9th DEER conference at Newport, RI? None? Just people from the Vortex?

I guess you saw the Jetta that was smoking. Everyone in the world signed up to drive the BMWs; no one signed up for the Dodge Dakota. So we all took a turn in the Dakota but there was no chance looking at the waiting list for the BMWs. I would say our tdi are quietier than the Dakotas. Actually the main reason we drove the Dakota is that my colleague is 6' 5" tall and our head researcher is > 250#.

How come we don’t have GTGs like this? Oh, I forgot about the corporate sponsorship plus our employer paid the bill.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
One thing that was very apparent at the conference is that early policy drafted to drive technology was extremely short sighted now that the science has caught up. The feeling today is that maybe we shouldn’t care about NOx, but its the HC that we should be concerned about. That’s why ground ozone levels are always greatest on Sundays is that ozone levels are driven by HC.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Originally posted by RiceEater:
One thing that was very apparent at the conference is that early policy drafted to drive technology was extremely short sighted now that the science has caught up. The feeling today is that maybe we shouldn’t care about NOx, but its the HC that we should be concerned about. That’s why ground ozone levels are always greatest on Sundays is that ozone levels are driven by HC.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree. Graphical depiction of this:

From http://www.trucks.doe.gov/research/environment/ozone.html

More info on this at:
http://www.trucks.doe.gov/plain-talk/nox.html

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
The other big push at the conference was to get all big rigs to quit idling and run off land based electricity. If you're not on the road you plug it in. The Honda Civic hybrid feature to idle on one cylinder was not viewed as favorable as having the big rig shut down and plug into land based electricity. Even though the thermodynamic conversion may be better, land based electricity is spitting particulate, mercury, plutonium over a relatively unpopulated area.

I really wish I had the opportunity to drive one of the illegal alien BMWs and Volvos diesels. The tdi was smoking and really didn't make a very good showing (Pity the image that VWoA created here). They even had illegal alien Ford and Jeep diesels for us to cruise the strand with. The journalists get all the benefits at these conferences.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
This was discussed at the conference but the closest tie in would be 2020 tdi air conditioning. The Seebeck-Peltier effect has been used in radioisotope thermal generators and 12VDC coolers but the thermodynamic conversion is not very good in comparison to gaseous compression/expansion cycles until recently. Using materials like crystalline silicon, germanium, gallium, etc., and some very precisely contaminated with an extremely small amount of arsenic or selenium, some researchers have been able to exceed the efficiency of refrigeration cycles. The promise is refrigeration/air conditioning with no moving parts, large capacity heat pump in a very small volume besides greater thermodynamic efficiency.The hope is that a reefer trailer could be powered by the hot exhaust pipe.

da3ve

TDI
2005 Silver Golf
TDI smoking? In the People's Republic of Kalifornia the home of CARB? Must've brought in some high sulfur mud from the North East.

And I'm still trying to figure out what happens to all those Peltier powered reefers overnight if the truckers stop idling and have no more waste heat.

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like it was a good time. Sorry I couldn't find the time to stop in and say hi, but work sucks.
Maybe we can have a better showing from the TDIClub crowd next year. . .