Deer accident

sortlane1

TDI
15 Passat SEL
On December 26 I hit a deer with my 2015 Passat SEL. The accident got the radiator and passengers side quarter panel. Estimate is $7,100 of damage. The body shop is working on getting parts ordered. Is there anything in specific we should pay attention to with the engine since the radiator is damaged? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Your AC condensor is probably toast too. Make sure your intercooler is inspected. (it will be visible upon disassembly. I have been there. Those nasty little buggers have killed more cars than need be. I wish you the best going forward in getting the repairs done. I can imagine what you said to yourself after the impact. I have been there and it is never "G" rated.

sortlane1

TDI
15 Passat SEL
My reaction was more silent disbelief since I hit one with the same car back on October 21st. That was not nearly as severe and only damaged the hood and quarter panel. The body shop doing the work does an excellent job but once again more concerned this time since it got into the engine.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
did you get the meat?

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I hit one with my 2013 Passat with similar damage and after the repair it ran hotter than before. The fans would run after shutdown almost every time the outside air temp was above 60 F independent of any regeneration. The coolant temperature gauge would indicate higher temps than normal on any sustained climb, which it never did before the repair.

sortlane1

TDI
15 Passat SEL
did you get the meat?

Nope didn’t collect the deer. It was in a metropolitan area with no room to pull over. I was actually about 1000 feet from my parking lot and just kept her straight and pulled in and parked her.

sortlane1

TDI
15 Passat SEL
I hit one with my 2013 Passat with similar damage and after the repair it ran hotter than before. The fans would run after shutdown almost every time the outside air temp was above 60 F independent of any regeneration. The coolant temperature gauge would indicate higher temps than normal on any sustained climb, which it never did before the repair.

Was there anything to be done about it running hotter?

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
No, it got sold back to VW before that issue was pursued. Besides that, there were posts by other owners about their Passsats acting like that from the factory.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope didn’t collect the deer. It was in a metropolitan area with no room to pull over. I was actually about 1000 feet from my parking lot and just kept her straight and pulled in and parked her.

bummer, always handy to have the local meat processor number on hand.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
In lots of states its a felony to collect the deer, Oregon was one of those states until this year- but even still- lots of rules, cannot be a white tail unless in certain areas and no bear, cougar gotta leave those rot for the birds.
https://dfw.state.or.us/roadkill/

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
completely legal in Maine (I think NH too), it's the reason bubba keeps his V-Plow on year round, you ever see what a moose can do to 3/4 ton pick up?

Odd of getting you name picked for the moose lottery in Maine are a lot lower than hitting one in your car.

sortlane1

TDI
15 Passat SEL
Your AC condensor is probably toast too. Make sure your intercooler is inspected. (it will be visible upon disassembly. I have been there. Those nasty little buggers have killed more cars than need be. I wish you the best going forward in getting the repairs done. I can imagine what you said to yourself after the impact. I have been there and it is never "G" rated.

The body shop has my car torn down now and did find that the intercooler was damaged. Thanks again for the heads up and if anyone else has advice I am all ears.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
completely legal in Maine (I think NH too), it's the reason bubba keeps his V-Plow on year round, you ever see what a moose can do to 3/4 ton pick up?

Odd of getting you name picked for the moose lottery in Maine are a lot lower than hitting one in your car.

Especially if you're a non resident.
My accountant applied every year for 35 years. He just got lucky for the first time this past season.

I've saved more than one whitetail backstrap as a result of a fresh roadkill. It always pays to have a sharp knife on you. Hell, if you have to deal with insurance and body shops, at least get yourself a decent meal out of it.