Deciding between SE and SEL TDI Golf

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
So as some might have seen here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=421866

We will no longer have our 06 TDI and my wife has been itching for a Golf. VW's site is too iPhone like and I can't get some of the hard facts or see the differences between the trims SE and SEL.

So basically SEL has the bigger wheels, Nav, robot Seats, Start/stop button, and climate control, but still doesnt come with HID lights? The price bump seems fair but we love our phones for Nav and honestly a slightly softer ride would be nice with the higher profile tires although SEL wheels look great!

Anyone have links for pictures to show the SE seats vs SEL seats?

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
I bought the SEL onlu because the the NAV was bundled with the sunroof and the dealership only had S or SEL. I wanted the sunroof so I bought the SEL because I didn't feel like waiting. I have no regrets because the seats are super comfortable and the interior lighting is very cool. The navigation is kind of awful in my opinion and I'll continue to use my Garmin and phone most of the time. I posted some pics in a few of my posts.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I found the SEL seats to be more comfortable (Passat)

I was in the same boat and decided on the SEL.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
I purchased the SE (passat) mainly due to the extra cost to go SEL, replacement tire cost with the bigger wheels etc. the extra $5k for a car that was just going to decline in value did not make sense to me.

Would I like some of the extra items in the SEL, sure but I don't miss them. My prior car had lots of gadgets in it. The SEL additions were not a required list of items to me just to drive around for work.
My 2013 has 32k on it now so I drive a lot..

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Yeah IMO, everything except the seats are gimmicky to me. We might just get the SE with the driver alert thing and the lighting package so we have better headlights.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
I am opting for the SE. Do not want the in dash nav system. Did not see naything else in the SEL package that would convince me otherwise.
Do what a sun roof,
So I end up with the SE with lighting package.
Should be in in about a month
Another 6MT, Silk Blue unit will hit the road then.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
If we get one we are going to go 4dr with the DSG. I enjoyed it so far in the 06.

Website shows the SE with the sunroof, is that wrong then?